ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hubert Davis Be UNC's Coach Five Years From Now?

Will Hubert Davis Be UNC's Coach Five Years From Now?

• Yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
He is recruiting great, and he led the Heels to a near national title last year. But is he long-term head coaching material at a top program?

I think the only reason why he’s not getting more pressure right now is because UNC had a ridiculous run from March 1st on (7-2 including a 5-1 NCAA tourney. They were 23-8 heading into the ACC tournament and if they win out the rest of their regular season, they will head to the ACC tournament 23-8 again.

He can’t get away with 23-8 regular seasons for long unless he’s continually sneaking into Elite 8’s and Final Four’s…and that’s a big ask. You can have occasional 8 loss regular seasons but that can’t be the norm. I just don’t think they will accept that year over year.

Reactions: ncjeff
He is recruiting great, and he led the Heels to a near national title last year. But is he long-term head coaching material at a top program?
Not if his players dont begin to respect him a lot more in the near future.

No. Caught lightning in a bottle last year. It's a dereliction of duty for those guards to jack up the shots they've been shooting. Bacot goes long stretches without touching the ball.

Reactions: ncjeff
No, I don't think so. They run bad offense and their defensive principles are awful. OTOH, this group of players also caused Roy to retire so maybe it's just them. We'll find out soon enough.

I think the only reason why he’s not getting more pressure right now is because UNC had a ridiculous run from March 1st on (7-2 including a 5-1 NCAA tourney. They were 23-8 heading into the ACC tournament and if they win out the rest of their regular season, they will head to the ACC tournament 23-8 again.

He can’t get away with 23-8 regular seasons for long unless he’s continually sneaking into Elite 8’s and Final Four’s…and that’s a big ask. You can have occasional 8 loss regular seasons but that can’t be the norm. I just don’t think they will accept that year over year.
Roy averaged losing 9 games per year @ UNC. He lost at least 8 games more times than he didn't. He lost 6 games or less 3x in 18 years.

Why do you think they would hold Hubert to a higher standard than Roy?

No, I don't think so. They run bad offense and their defensive principles are awful. OTOH, this group of players also caused Roy to retire so maybe it's just them. We'll find out soon enough.
Keep in mind there aren't a lot of good coaches out there. As long as he's pulling talent I think he's hanging around winning enough to make it pretty tough to can the guy. If your recruiting takes a hit he's got problems. But y'all have also done well in the portal both years with him too.

I think he's gonna stick around unless he doesn't enjoy it. Do you think he enjoys it or is it too stressful for him? Does he have kids he may want to see play, etc?

Roy averaged losing 9 games per year @ UNC. He lost at least 8 games more times than he didn't. He lost 6 games or less 3x in 18 years.

Yeah I was reading that thinking----"huh'? 23-8 seasons are unacceptable? With the OOC schedule they play, plus the ACC...

Sure...

Reactions: brooky03 and 829305

As I said, 8 or more losses before the ACC tournament…not for the year.

In this example, we are saying 6 or fewer years for Davis. So looking at Roy’s first 6 years, he had 8 losses before the ACC tournament exactly once. He also had two NC’s, a Final Four, and an Elite 8. If Davis is getting those finishes with 8 losses in the regular season, he will survive…and I said that…but that’s a big ask.

I will also say that if Roy’s first 5 years at UNC looked like most of his final decade there, he doesn’t make it either. Roy got extra runway because of those first 6 years. Outside of that two year stretch where they went runner up/NC (15-17 maybe?), Roy’s last decade was rough.

We need a will Scheyer be the Duke coach in 5 years.

This year is a complete lack of talent.

Bunch of scrubs

Screenshot-2023-02-06-211232.jpg

Bunch of scrubs

Screenshot-2023-02-06-211232.jpg
As I have said for years, HS rankings mean nothing.

Mitchell can’t shoot
Lively can only dubk
Whitehead has been hurt
Proctor is immature and should not have reclassified.
Filipowski is the real deal

As a UK fan you should understand this.

Funny thing is, 3 or more will go pro and 2 will get your burger in a couple of years.

As I said, 8 or more losses before the ACC tournament…not for the year.

In this example, we are saying 6 or fewer years for Davis. So looking at Roy’s first 6 years, he had 8 losses before the ACC tournament exactly once. He also had two NC’s, a Final Four, and an Elite 8. If Davis is getting those finishes with 8 losses in the regular season, he will survive…and I said that…but that’s a big ask.

I will also say that if Roy’s first 5 years at UNC looked like most of his final decade there, he doesn’t make it either. Roy got extra runway because of those first 6 years. Outside of that two year stretch where they went runner up/NC (15-17 maybe?), Roy’s last decade was rough.
My bad overlooked the reg season reference.

You're putting a lot of weight on a difference of 2 more losses in a season. You're talking about a ranking gap of 4-8 places roughly. But this could also be the difference of winning the ACC reg season or not winning it. So maybe a fair point.

Roy's early years did probably make it tougher to can him. He still lost 8+ reg season games 8x out of 18 years and left on his terms.

We'll see what happens.

Was this job always for Hubert or did a few others turn it down?

Its hard to tell, but that NCAA tournament run last year surely has bought him at least 5 years. Beyond that, we will see. I believe most UNC fans have understood the glory days are far over, so expectation is enough low for Davis. If he takes them consistently to NCAA tournament he will be fine, a final 4 run will guarantee him another 5 years. Hes only on hot seat if they fail to make the tournament 2 years in a row, which I dont see happening anytime soon.

Its hard to tell, but that NCAA tournament run last year surely has bought him at least 5 years. Beyond that, we will see. I believe most UNC fans have understood the glory days are far over, so expectation is enough low for Davis. If he takes them consistently to NCAA tournament he will be fine, a final 4 run will guarantee him another 5 years. Hes only on hot seat if they fail to make the tournament 2 years in a row, which I dont see happening anytime soon.
5 years?! Even a natty isn't usually guaranteeing that kind of job security, depending on the AD. Just look at college football recently. Chizik and Orgeron have both been canned 2 years after winning a championship.

My bad overlooked the reg season reference.

You're putting a lot of weight on a difference of 2 more losses in a season. You're talking about a ranking gap of 4-8 places roughly. But this could also be the difference of winning the ACC reg season or not winning it. So maybe a fair point.

Roy's early years did probably make it tougher to can him. He still lost 8+ reg season games 8x out of 18 years and left on his terms.

We'll see what happens.

Was this job always for Hubert or did a few others turn it down?
In the scenario I laid out, I assumed that he was consistently in the 23-8 range heading into the ACC tournament. It’s just a scenario and not a prediction before anyone jumps down my throat.

If we assume that of the 8 losses, 2-3 are going to happen in the non-con. UNC regularly plays somewhere in the ballpark of 4 high end opponents annually. To keep it clean, I’m assuming that they are dropping 2-3 of those. That translates to 5-6 losses in conference play which normally leads to a finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th in the league.

As far as rankings go, most teams with 8 losses after the final week of the regular season are somewhere between 20th and unranked. There are some exceptions to that where teams are ranked higher, but for the most part 20+ is what you can expect.

Major conference programs with that type of resume are normally seeded on the 5 or 6 line for the NCAA tournament. They’ve been seeded as high as the two line and as low as the 9 line but normally they’re in that 5-6 range.

So to frame the question differently, is UNC going to be okay consistently losing 2-3 of their 4 marquee non-con games, consistently finishing 3rd-5th in conference, finishing the regular season ranked outside the top 20, and getting seeded 5th or 6th in the NCAA tournament?

I don’t think they will be unless he’s consistently able to get hot in March and get into the Elite 8 or Final Four.

It’s all relative. There are a lot of schools out there that would kill to have those results. I just don’t think UNC is one of those schools. I don’t think Duke, Kansas, UK, etc. are either. Thinking of those schools, you don’t have to win an NC every year, but you’ve got to be in the hunt annually.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
In the scenario I laid out, I assumed that he was consistently in the 23-8 range heading into the ACC tournament. It’s just a scenario and not a prediction before anyone jumps down my throat.

If we assume that of the 8 losses, 2-3 are going to happen in the non-con. UNC regularly plays somewhere in the ballpark of 4 high end opponents annually. To keep it clean, I’m assuming that they are dropping 2-3 of those. That translates to 5-6 losses in conference play which normally leads to a finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th in the league.

As far as rankings go, most teams with 8 losses after the final week of the regular season are somewhere between 20th and unranked. There are some exceptions to that where teams are ranked higher, but for the most part 20+ is what you can expect.

Major conference programs with that type of resume are normally seeded on the 5 or 6 line for the NCAA tournament. They’ve been seeded as high as the two line and as low as the 9 line but normally they’re in that 5-6 range.

So to frame the question differently, is UNC going to be okay consistently losing 2-3 of their 4 marquee non-con games, consistently finishing 3rd-5th in conference, finishing the regular season ranked outside the top 20, and getting seeded 5th or 6th in the NCAA tournament?

I don’t think they will be unless he’s consistently able to get hot in March and get into the Elite 8 or Final Four.

It’s all relative. There are a lot of schools out there that would kill to have those results. I just don’t think UNC is one of those schools. I don’t think Duke, Kansas, UK, etc. are either. Thinking of those schools, you don’t have to win an NC every year, but you’ve got to be in the hunt annually.
I like it.

Let's see what happens.

This year for sure cooled some jets. I know he was under fire last year but it felt like he had momentum going for this year. Now they are right back where they were this time last year, maybe even slightly worse off have not looked that up.

Without having a situation like Doherty where players hate him it could be a little more difficult to get rid of Hubert if his W/L isn't where they believe they want it.

Reactions: cwobrien11
I don’t think he will be the coach 3 years from now. The decision makers at unc aren’t going to f*** around when it comes to the basketball program underperforming.

No. Caught lightning in a bottle last year. It's a dereliction of duty for those guards to jack up the shots they've been shooting. Bacot goes long stretches without touching the ball.
Coach Davis will be there for 10-15 years

I don’t think he will be the coach 3 years from now. The decision makers at unc aren’t going to f*** around when it comes to the basketball program underperforming.

I agree. It is especially relevant here since some of the decision makers thought it was a mistake anyway.

People always point to the run last year but that was pretty flukey. It was awesome but flukey. They were a Dontrez Styles (dude who can't get get a minute of playing time now and certainly can't shoot) three point miss away from losing in the second round like they were supposed to. They made a bunch of clutch shots that were mostly guarded.

It's interesting seeing how people view it.

20 years ago Doherty got 3 years and he never got out of the 2nd round, had a losing season, and players absolutely hated his guts if I recall that correctly.

I am reading Hubert is projecting if I'm understanding the opinions here, Davis will get 4 years total even though he makes a title game year one and years 2-4 are TBD, and so far everyone likes him as a human being.

Now I keep in mind Roy was a potential replacement shadow with over a decade of high level achievement hanging over Doherty as well, and the replacement candidates for Hubert don't really jump out at you right now like Roy did back then.

Now this year has been a big step back for him, and I understand many are saying this is really what it was last year too.

Where are these guys in Bracketology these days?

I agree. It is especially relevant here since some of the decision makers thought it was a mistake anyway.

What have people been saying about Hubert? Underwhelming coach, motivator, something else?

Seems like Trimble could help out a lot with the defensive woes - though, he might be a liability on offense at this point. And how Love is able to get 15 shots a game, given his inefficiency, is just beyond me.

What have people been saying about Hubert? Underwhelming coach, motivator, something else?

Seems like Trimble could help out a lot with the defensive woes - though, he might be a liability on offense at this point. And how Love is able to get 15 shots a game, given his inefficiency, is just beyond me.

I think people think he is a great motivator and I agree with that. Great dude. Recruits love him. But the main thing they say they love is the freedom he gives his inefficient guards, so not sure how we should feel about that.

I think most people think he lacks coaching, developing, and teaching. The things he says doesn't match up to what is pretty obvious to anyone watching and the offense and defense he runs is just not very good. He doesn't seem to think there are problems with the system though. He won't play the bench and then says x and y on the bench are great players who need more time. When players halfass it or do bad things over and over they never come out. I can't imagine guys on the bench don't notice that. This is two years in a row where a player has had to call out the team like Bacot just did. Last year it was Manek.

He's a black alumni who fell ass backwards into the title game, so yes. Dude is going to "Indiana" UNC before he's done.

People always point to the run last year but that was pretty flukey. It was awesome but flukey. They were a Dontrez Styles (dude who can't get get a minute of playing time now and certainly can't shoot) three point miss away from losing in the second round like they were supposed to. They made a bunch of clutch shots that were mostly guarded.

It almost feels like last years’ run was more divine intervention than fluky. Like God dislikes Duke so much that he gave UNC extra juice just to end coach k’s career.

It almost feels like last years’ run was more divine intervention than fluky. Like God dislikes Duke so much that he gave UNC extra juice just to end coach k’s career.
It wouldn't have been the same if UK ended his career like you all did.
That was storybook.

Yes of course.

Anyone who thinks differently is not familiar with the Carolina Athletic Dept.

he might be there for a while, but his team is poorly coached. he needs to hire a lead assistant to coach the talent he assembles, that's his only chance of real success.

ADVERTISEMENT