ADVERTISEMENT

Will duke..

I am more interested to see if they will shoot better than 30% from 3 at home in a game this year. Another >20% night from deep last night. Pretty amazing how many points they can put up without hitting their shots.

Good thing the tournament won't be played in CIS.

I am more interested to see if they will shoot better than 30% from 3 at home in a game this year. Another >20% night from deep last night. Pretty amazing how many points they can put up without hitting their shots.

<

Reactions: Elbridge

It seems ( not sure though) that it was the opposite most years with Dukes shooting. I know the shooting is a concern but we’ve seen them win time after time while laying bricks out there.

It seems ( not sure though) that it was the opposite most years with Dukes shooting. I know the shooting is a concern but we’ve seen them win time after time while laying bricks out there.
I think the biggest thing is that this team doesn't live by the 3. Only once have they died by it. Krzyzewski will always draw plays to get 3 point shooters open, and teams will have to take it seriously or they risk getting blown out. But even when shots aren't falling, Duke scores at an impressive rate this year with Zion and Barrett doing work in the paint. It also helps that this team plays defense and keeps opposing teams in check from deep.

I am not as concerned as I probably should be. But it is bizarre how bad of a shooting team Duke is at home this year.

I just said that last night! In years past, we’d shoot 90% in CIS and then 12% on the road. Not this team. And we haven’t let the other team go crazy from 3 at CIS either.

Both theories will get put to the test when we host UNC, who loves shooting 3’s now.

Reactions: denniden
I’m a Duke fan. The biggest one you’ll find and I will tell you exactly why we won’t win in March, from an insider view-point that hasn’t missed 1 second of play.

This 4-1 / 5-out swing motion offense doesn’t fit. I know, it’s Coach K’s Holy Grail but it’s not working. For 5 specific reasons.

* Incase you don’t know what a swing motion offense is — The ball is passed among 4 (or 5) players around the perimeter. While everyone is screening, curling off of screens or occasionally cutting off-ball, everyone is constantly rotating to a new position and searching for an open shooter or potential mismatch on a post-dominate player. Lots of different techniques and tweaks can be added into this, but Duke basically mimics what the GS Warriors try to do.

#1 - Tre Jones is a pure playmaker. This offense makes everyone equal. Decision maker, Shooter, Screener. It cracks me up when announcers gush over Tre “running the half-court offense” It’s a swing motion, nobody is runnin’ nothin’ — Imagine having a PURE pass first 1 with the decision making, ball handling, and court vision of a seasoned senior then deciding he ignore those talents by making him share “the role” with 2 other guys and attempting to zig-zag screens while off-ball to get open for a shot that he’s not even going to shoot because he’s terrible from 3pt.

#2 - I don’t know what Cam Reddish needs to succeed but what I know for a 100% fact is that he’s brain dead at shooting 3’s from off-ball screens.

#3 - Yes, sometimes the motion offense opens a cut to the basket but the main goal of it is to get shooters open while rotating the ball around looking for an open 3pt shot. Duke is the 305th best 3pt shooting team in the nation. Makes sense. (Fun fact: We STILL have the 4th highest attempts in the Top 25)

#4 - Zion’s job in the motion offense is to set off-ball screens and hopefully draw a mismatch when he rotates back down to the paint. This works out 1 of 2 ways. 1, mismatch is created but he’s double teamed before the pass arrives. So he attempts contested or passes out to an open shooter that cannot shoot. Or 2, the ball is passed to him while he’s rotating the perimeter and open. Duke then encourages him to shoot and consider this good shot selection although he is 14/48 (20something%) on the season.

#5 - Nothing is open so the ball is gifted to RJ to ISO for a score. He drives in, usually with a double team because the D knows what’s coming and chucks up some acrobatic bs.

“Uhhh, Duke is 23-2, The offense works because they still win and score a lot of points.” Duke averages 13 offensive rebounds per game, #1 in the nation. Duke only allows defenses to rebound 62% of their misses, that’s insane. #3 in opponent shooting percentage, #5 in defensive efficiency. Because of these advanced stats nobody thinks about, Duke gets away with running a terrible half-court offense.

Duke is the MOST talented team in the country. Listen folks, it’s not even close. If this offense doesn’t change, they’re liable to be toast past the sweet 16 in March. Their defense and offensive rebounding capabilities can keep them floating on a below average night but the inefficiency of this NBA style offense with no true 3pt threats will demand a at least a subpar shooting performance to continue advancing.

I’m a Duke fan. The biggest one you’ll find and I will tell you exactly why we won’t win in March, from an insider view-point that hasn’t missed 1 second of play.

This 4-1 / 5-out swing motion offense doesn’t fit. I know, it’s Coach K’s Holy Grail but it’s not working. For 5 specific reasons.

* Incase you don’t know what a swing motion offense is — The ball is passed among 4 (or 5) players around the perimeter. While everyone is screening, curling off of screens or occasionally cutting off-ball, everyone is constantly rotating to a new position and searching for an open shooter or potential mismatch on a post-dominate player. Lots of different techniques and tweaks can be added into this, but Duke basically mimics what the GS Warriors try to do.

#1 - Tre Jones is a pure playmaker. This offense makes everyone equal. Decision maker, Shooter, Screener. It cracks me up when announcers gush over Tre “running the half-court offense” It’s a swing motion, nobody is runnin’ nothin’ — Imagine having a PURE pass first 1 with the decision making, ball handling, and court vision of a seasoned senior then deciding he ignore those talents by making him share “the role” with 2 other guys and attempting to zig-zag screens while off-ball to get open for a shot that he’s not even going to shoot because he’s terrible from 3pt.

#2 - I don’t know what Cam Reddish needs to succeed but what I know for a 100% fact is that he’s brain dead at shooting 3’s from off-ball screens.

#3 - Yes, sometimes the motion offense opens a cut to the basket but the main goal of it is to get shooters open while rotating the ball around looking for an open 3pt shot. Duke is the 305th best 3pt shooting team in the nation. Makes sense. (Fun fact: We STILL have the 4th highest attempts in the Top 25)

#4 - Zion’s job in the motion offense is to set off-ball screens and hopefully draw a mismatch when he rotates back down to the paint. This works out 1 of 2 ways. 1, mismatch is created but he’s double teamed before the pass arrives. So he attempts contested or passes out to an open shooter that cannot shoot. Or 2, the ball is passed to him while he’s rotating the perimeter and open. Duke then encourages him to shoot and consider this good shot selection although he is 14/48 (20something%) on the season.

#5 - Nothing is open so the ball is gifted to RJ to ISO for a score. He drives in, usually with a double team because the D knows what’s coming and chucks up some acrobatic bs.

“Uhhh, Duke is 23-2, The offense works because they still win and score a lot of points.” Duke averages 13 offensive rebounds per game, #1 in the nation. Duke only allows defenses to rebound 62% of their misses, that’s insane. #3 in opponent shooting percentage, #5 in defensive efficiency. Because of these advanced stats nobody thinks about, Duke gets away with running a terrible half-court offense.

Duke is the MOST talented team in the country. Listen folks, it’s not even close. If this offense doesn’t change, they’re liable to be toast past the sweet 16 in March. Their defense and offensive rebounding capabilities can keep them floating on a below average night but the inefficiency of this NBA style offense with no true 3pt threats will demand a at least a subpar shooting performance to continue advancing.
GFY

Do you have the Cliffs notes of this?

You think I don’t want Duke to win? My closet and half of my house could practically be the University Store on campus lol... Just being realistic, dude. 5 / 41 motion offense is an elite offense and a headache for defenses, they execute the choreography on a NBA level. They just don’t have the shooting prowess to make it efficient.

Duke is winning and you can’t argue with wins, but if they suffer >30% from 3 in the competition past the sweet 16, they’re in for a battle. I wish it wasn’t the truth but it is.

Do you have the Cliffs notes of this?

Ha! I guess the pot and a half of coffee that I just drank gave me some awesome mental focus to write that.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Anbody could write a dissertation on why every good team in the country won't win it all. Fact remains that if you were going to write one on why they will win it all, then Duke's would be the longest.

Duke needed a hobbled Jerome and Diaktke to miss the game to win.

Uva got UNC without Nas and Cam Johnson.

A healthy UNC > UVa > Duke.

Reactions: dirtyrock15
ADVERTISEMENT