ADVERTISEMENT

Why would the Big 12 need to dissolve as a basketball conference?

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
You look at other conferences such as the Big East, which is a major bball conference, or the Missouri Valley Conference, which is nearly non-identical to it's football counterpart.

Why would one of the top basketball conferences, that wouldn't at all be impacted from a competitive standpoint by Oklahoma and Texas' departure, need to break up because of what's happening in football?

Or better yet........do they need to?

If KU stays, I don’t necessarily think the league has to dissolve. But I think the assumption is that KU’s ready to seize a good opportunity, if it’s presented, so that they aren’t “left behind” in the future.

You look at other conferences such as the Big East, which is a major bball conference, or the Missouri Valley Conference, which is nearly non-identical to it's football counterpart.

Why would one of the top basketball conferences, that wouldn't at all be impacted from a competitive standpoint by Oklahoma and Texas' departure, need to break up because of what's happening in football?

Or better yet........do they need to?
Money...

They may not break up as a football conference
Go forward with 8 teams. If the money isn’t there to add others and there aren’t any other conferences interested they will stay together.

Other schools like Iowa State, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech have large athletic budgets, projects and promised/earmarked invested funds that depend on a level of revenue that simply won’t exist anymore if the Big XII sticks together, so it’s hardly that simple.

Other schools like Iowa State, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech have large athletic budgets, projects and promised/earmarked invested funds that depend on a level of revenue that simply won’t exist anymore if the Big XII sticks together, so it’s hardly that simple.
You are acting like they have a choice.
Tough world out there when you can’t stand on your own two feet.
Probably shouldn’t be wasting money

Football is the driver for the entire athletic department at most every major university. The only school in the Big East with a D-1 football program is UConn.

The Big East is a basketball-centric conference. I can't see Texas Tech or Oklahoma State being content with the pedestrian payouts that are coming from the Big 12 in the near future. Also, West Virginia and the ACC just make too much sense. Once you drop down to 5 schools, it's inevitable that this conference will implode. Adding teams like Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, or BYU are just going to make it a better version of the AAC. They wouldn't retain power conference status.

Tough when you have all the money in the world and still win 3 big 12 titles in 26 years.
Unfair fight.
Like throwing a Pomeranian with a pitbull.
Kansas has what 2-3 million people. Kansas City became a major city because of Texas. Railroad to Chicago. Added some culture when blacks moved up from Texas and Louisiana.

Nothing personal. Just life

Big 12 championships by school
Baylor88
Iowa State28
Kansas41
Kansas State17
Oklahoma85
Oklahoma State82
TCU14
Texas197
Texas Tech27
West Virginia11

Texas had to hold back to suffocate all of you.

Will end up that the last NC in football, basketball and baseball after this year.
Have an easy path to Monday night

30 million people. Talent in every sport. More than that the economy is growing. Booming right now.

Texas was blessed in life. How things are. Some people are born into family with name, class and money. Others aren’t.

Doesnt take anything away from Kansas.
Great basketball fans. You love one sport.
Go be a basketball school. Best thing that could have happened to you

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Unfair fight.
Kansas has what 2-3 million people. Kansas City became a major city because of Texas. Railroad to Chicago. Added some culture when blacks moved up from Texas and Louisiana.

Baylor88
Iowa State28
Kansas41
Kansas State17
Oklahoma85
Oklahoma State82
TCU14
Texas197
Texas Tech27
West Virginia11

Will end up that the last NC in football, basketball and baseball after this year.

30 million people. Talent in every sport. More than that the economy is growing. Booming right now.

Texas was blessed in life. How things are. Some people are born into family with name, class and money. Others aren’t.

Does it suck for you to have to reset all your conference records? How long were you in the Big 12? UK relies on our conference and national stats.

Unfair fight.

Baylor88
Iowa State28
Kansas41
Kansas State17
Oklahoma85
Oklahoma State82
TCU14
Texas197
Texas Tech27
West Virginia11

How do you explain the lack of success in football during the big 12 yrs. and how do you expect to improve on that record in the SEC.

Imagine how proud and blessed Sheriff felt as he watched Texas fail to win a first round game for the 678th straight time.

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
Texas and its projecting fans can puff their chests all they want (maybe deservedly so!!), but one thing should be clear as day, regardless of whether or not it’s “fair.” If you want to have a successful and stable conference, completely equal revenue sharing is the absolutely only way to go. Anything else promotes a toxic atmosphere that won’t last. Texas was given concessions by the Big XII to keep them around and make them feel like the king of the conference … and surprise, surprise! Wasn’t enough.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
The last thing I'd ever brag about as a sports fan is location/market size.

But as a Texas fan, what else are you going to brag about these days? Diving?

Football is the driver for the entire athletic department at most every major university. The only school in the Big East with a D-1 football program is UConn.

The Big East is a basketball-centric conference. I can't see Texas Tech or Oklahoma State being content with the pedestrian payouts that are coming from the Big 12 in the near future. Also, West Virginia and the ACC just make too much sense. Once you drop down to 5 schools, it's inevitable that this conference will implode. Adding teams like Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, or BYU are just going to make it a better version of the AAC. They wouldn't retain power conference status.

If all those teams get offers, the Big 12 will likely dissolve. I just don't think all those teams will necessarily get offers to join any of the 4 other "Power" conferences.

From a basketball perspective, your league is simply less important than it is in football. It's much easier to schedule to quality OOC games and make sure your resume is solid by March. Not to mention the remaining 8 teams could actually be a pretty good league. From a basketball perspective, adding Memphis, Houston and BYU could be enticing but football will drive expansion so UCF would likely be the first to get an offer.

If you couldn't see this coming several years ago, you weren't paying attention.. I am a Kentucky fan, and have been for over 70 years. UK has been about as bad at football as Texas is in basketball. Difference is Texas has several million more eyeballs focused on college sports.

UK has carried the SEC banner in basketball since the conference's beginning. Guess what??? Hardly anyone else within the conference footprint gave a hoot. Several SEC schools used to have larger attendance figures for their baseball team than their basketball teams. The joke around Lexington was if you wanted to see a UK Basketball team play, and couldn't get tickets at Memorial or Rupp (been going on for more than 70 years) you could drive to Nashville, Knoxville, or any other SEC school to watch a road game.

One school SEC school used to employ their HC in baseball to be an assistant in basketball to supplement his income.

Kentucky is in a good position due to the successes of the killer football programs they have. I feel for schools that are going to get left out in this process..

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If you couldn't see this coming several years ago, you weren't paying attention.. I am a Kentucky fan, and have been for over 70 years. UK has been about as bad at football as Texas is in basketball. Difference is Texas has several million more eyeballs focused on college sports.

UK has carried the SEC banner in basketball since the conference's beginning. Guess what??? Hardly anyone else within the conference footprint gave a hoot. Several SEC schools used to have larger attendance figures for their baseball team than their basketball teams. The joke around Lexington was if you wanted to see a UK Basketball team play, and couldn't get tickets at Memorial or Rupp (been going on for more than 70 years) you could drive to Nashville, Knoxville, or any other SEC school to watch a road game.

One school SEC school used to employ their HC in baseball to be an assistant in basketball to supplement his income.

Kentucky is in a good position due to the successes of the killer football programs they have. I feel for schools that are going to get left out in this process..
That is a nice size cat in your avatar, I have a few pics on my phone that I got off my trail cams of a large male, but my old butt don't know how to get them here. I had a lot more on my laptop that I used for hunting pics and video's, but it crashed. Wish I never deleted some of the SD cards. 🙄

ADVERTISEMENT