Why so much love for the Big 12? I mean really

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ManRoar, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Turinturumbar

Turinturumbar Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually the Big XII isn't usually overrated, because we aren't usually rated very high. Last year is one of the few times I remember the league being touted as being very good. Other years generally there has been KU and one or two other good teams and a whole lot of bad teams. It wasn't until recently that a few of the bad teams have improved.

And last year we didn't do well in the tourney, but our two best teams, ISU and KU, were playing without their best players. If Niang plays for ISU, they likely beat UCONN. If Embiid plays, KU beats Stanford and is probably one of the favorites to win it all. After we lost Embiid we simply were not very good. We went from a legitimate top 5-8 team to a borderline top 30ish type of team. This is shown by the fact that we lost 4 of our last 7. We just couldn't adjust to the game without Embiid.

2. Springs Hawk

Springs Hawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I guess I disagree with the assertion that because no one else has made the final four that no teams in the Big XII were elite during that time. Tournament seedings (looking at 1-4; four being KU's lowest seed during that time) show that during this run there have generally been other pretty highly seeded teams from the Big XII:

In 2005, KU was a three seed, OSU was a two, OU was a three.
    In 2006, KU was a four, Texas was two.
    In 2007, KU was a one, A&M was three, UT a four.
    In 2008, KU was a one, UT was a two.
    In 2009, KU was a three, OU was a two, MU was a three.
    In 2010, KU was a one, KSU was a two, Baylor was a three.
    In 2011, KU was a one, UT was a four.
    In 2012, KU was a two, MU was a two, Baylor a three.
    In 2013, KU was a one, KSU a four.
    In 2014, KU was a two, ISU a three.

So while a few of those years have been weak with higher seeds (2007, 2011, 2013), there has also been a two seed besides KU in the conference for 6 of the 11 years.

During that same time frame UK and UF have been a 1 or 2 seed a combined six times with UT adding two more two seeds. Using this metric the SEC doesn't look any tougher at the top than the Big XII.
    This post was edited on 2/27 12:33 PM by Springs Hawk

3. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My fellow UK friend. Have you read my comments? Or other UK fans comments?

No one is trying to say that the SEC is better. We are saying that the SEC is NOT as terrible as everyone makes them out to be, nor is the b12 as GREAT AS everyone makes it out to be. Read the replies in the thread...

4. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

It really isnt worth the time, because you literally made no sense whatsoever. You tried to pin point me into something I never said. You are a decent poster yourself. 4/10 but a huge swing and a miss on this one.

If you would have actually read my comments, along with the other SEC "fans" you would notice that we are not trying to say the SEC is better. But no, that would require to much work on your part. That would require you to open your mind a little bit and tip toe past the tired and worn out "you are a troll poster blah blah blah"

Cmon man. At least ready yourself with the replies, and offer up some discussion...instead of pouting like child.

5. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Honestly, that is not why I started it. Take a gander at the Football board. This is childs play compared to over there. Every single thread is "SEC is overrated blah blah blah" Obsession.

I was just trying to make a point, that the SEC is not as TERRIBLE as members of this board and media try to make it out to be, nor is the B12 as "great" as everyone thinks they are. This is not an opinion, this is facts backed up by results.

Everything does not have to be a fight you guys. We can have rational discussion. Try it out eh? [​IMG]

6. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No conference is terrible. No need to drag others down to make the point though. Once in a blue moon the national media pays attention to the Big 12, so when it happens it's a little annoying to hear the overrated talk on message boards.

I don't think anyone believes the Big 12 is "great." Analysts, writers and fans are simply calling it the best this year. The facts would support that belief.

It's not easy to have a rational discussion on a board that is dominated by one school's fans. Apologies for assuming you were just taking a shot at KU and the rest of the league.

7. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

No problem. I actually typically dont give KU a hard time. Even when we beat you guys this year, I did not make one post about it on here. I actually said (before the most recent loss) that I would not want to see you guys in the tourney as I still think yall could be dangerous

8. Turinturumbar

Turinturumbar Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

9. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

10. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I could've told you months ago not to worry about this KU team. [​IMG] They can beat or lose to anyone in the country other than UK. Improvement wouldn't make a difference, they simply don't have the right parts for that head-to-head with the Wildcats or a deep tourney run.

They're grinding away in the league and continue to exceed my expectations, but I'm not sure they can survive away from AFH any more. Cliff has regressed dramatically since January and we still have no leader.