ADVERTISEMENT

Why not have more Conference Challenges?

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
At least among the P6 (B10, B12, ACC, SEC, P12, Big East), that would be several extra quality games to their schedule instead of the money feeder games against South Carolina Upstate.

It would also give fans of these conferences more to talk about in terms of conference superiority bragging rights. Not to mention that these cross-conference games typically generate decent viewership.

Iowa got Virginia in the ACC-B10 Challenge, but I'd love to see them be able to go up against other conferences as well. The B10 already has a deal with the Big East, but Iowa didn't face anyone this year.

It'd also only be 3-4 extra games on the schedule (or games you have to replace mid majors with), and given we have a P6, you could work it so you alternate between a 3 home and 2 away deal and vice versa each year, so you're at least getting a few quality OOC home games.

Here's who Iowa would've added from each conference just based on placement:

B12- TCU*
Big East- Marquette*
Pac 12- Oregon
SEC- LSU*

*- made NCAA Tournament

Plus ACC- Virginia

That would be a very solid OOC schedule. Not overwhelming or full of big time names like Duke and Kentucky and Kansas do with some of their early games, but definitely more balanced and certainly better than feasting on 300 level low major teams.

I honestly think this would be great for CBB as a whole.

Yes and do them throughout the year. Don't do all of them in November
Well it'd be spread out through November and December for sure, for the Big Ten.

I know other conferences like the B12-SEC will have their challenges midway through conference play, but I think the B10 is set on wanting all non-conference stuff to be done by January.

Reactions: duckboy33
Well it'd be spread out through November and December for sure, for the Big Ten.

I know other conferences like the B12-SEC will have their challenges midway through conference play, but I think the B10 is set on wanting all non-conference stuff to be done by January.
And just to add to that, especially with covid still being a thing, conferences will want as much time as possible to have those windows to reschedule games if there are ever anymore covid pauses.

Wish there’d be a ACC-Big East challenge with the condition that Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse must play an original Big East school ever year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT