ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Auburn number 2 in the Coaches poll?

I mean, they are pretty good...Some of you are just stuck in the if it doesn't say UK, KU, Duke on the shirt, then a team cannot possibly be worthy of credibility.. St, Maty's is a really good basketball team---So is BYU....So is San Fran. Shit the Gaels have more Quad 1 wins than Houston---and they are #2 in the NET. They have the same amount of Quad 1 wins as Arizona does...Just one less than UCLA and Tenn...

Ya'll need to WATCH the games, instead of reading jersey names.
Agreed on jersey names. Murray st. Loyola, and St. Louis. All good wins for auburn but this board knocks all 3.

I mean, they are pretty good...Some of you are just stuck in the if it doesn't say UK, KU, Duke on the shirt, then a team cannot possibly be worthy of credibility.. St, Maty's is a really good basketball team---So is BYU....So is San Fran. Shit the Gaels have more Quad 1 wins than Houston---and they are #2 in the NET. They have the same amount of Quad 1 wins as Arizona does...Just one less than UCLA and Tenn...

Fear the Gaels.

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Murray, Loyola and St. Louis. are much better wins than anything that Kentucky has.

Bow down to Auburn's great wins over great teams like Murray, Loyola and St. Louis.

Go Auburn!
He didn't say that, nor imply it....Just stated that those wins are solid----and they are. You asked who AU has beaten, well they have beaten some solid basketball teams; hence their 6 Quad 1 wins.

Does it bother you this much for other teams to have success in the SEC? Do you simply miss the days where UK had no competition in the SEC? Which makes no sense, really. Teams like AU, UF, Bama, etc, etc....start to get some respect, and apparently it bothers some of you---WHich is weird as ****...SDince you guys get mad beyond belief when folks say your win total is due to peating up on a shitty conference...

I mean, cannot have it both ways...

Sorry Borden . . . I'm just laughing at @Bert Higginbotha 's sad face reaction. He's back!jumpingsmile

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Its closer than what you think....Though AU is gonna have more opportunities. But for the sake of conversation...

Kansas is 5-2 in Quad 1 games, and 5-1 in Quad 2..., with plenty of more opportunities to come. Purdue is 6-2 in Quad 1 games, but only 1-1 in Quad 2; but they too are gonna get more opportunities..

Then hell there is Xavier---they have 4 Quad 1 wins, and 5 Quad 2 wins. Shit Wisconsin is 7-3 in Quad 1 games...3-0 in Quad 2 games---And they still have games @Illinois, @ MSU, vs Purdue and @ Indiana. All would be Quad 1 wins...

In other words, its not as cut and dry as some think.

So, 11-1 in combined Quad 1/2 games for Auburn versus 10-3 for KU and Wisconsin, 7-3 for Purdue, and 9-2 for Providence (think you meant them instead of Xavier). Yes, I think that gap is pretty wide at this point. With 10 games left in the regular season + conference tournaments, a lot can change, certainly. I'm just saying if the tournament field was revealed today, Auburn would be an easy #1 overall selection.
They did lose to Alabama----but they also beat the shit out of St. Mary's. The Gaels are two spots behind Alabama in the NET.

St. Mary's and Gonzaga have yet to play this season. Zags did crush BYU, though.

SMC is a stingy team. Solid defense and they sure do know how to milk the shot clock. I think they could give Gonzaga a good game in Moraga. Saw Saint Mary's and Gonzaga play a couple years ago where they upset Gonzaga in Vegas, and man, I can't believe how many shots they made with under 3 seconds left in the shot clock.

So, 11-1 in combined Quad 1/2 games for Auburn versus 10-3 for KU and Wisconsin, 7-3 for Purdue, and 9-2 for Providence (think you meant them instead of Xavier). Yes, I think that gap is pretty wide at this point. With 10 games left in the regular season + conference tournaments, a lot can change, certainly. I'm just saying if the tournament field was revealed today, Auburn would be an easy #1 overall selection.

St. Mary's and Gonzaga have yet to play this season. Zags did crush BYU, though.

SMC is a stingy team. Solid defense and they sure do know how to milk the shot clock. I think they could give Gonzaga a good game in Moraga. Saw Saint Mary's and Gonzaga play a couple years ago where they upset Gonzaga in Vegas, and man, I can't believe how many shots they made with under 3 seconds left in the shot clock.
I overlooked the part of, "If revealed today:---Changes things a tad, huh?

I didn't even realize Providence was 9-2....I did mean Xavier---who is 9-5. But we can go with Providence... 😁

Don't know why I felt GU had already played and beaten SMary's. But TBH, not much of a difference really...MOF, BYU is 8-5 in Quad 1/2 games---SMU is 5-4.

WIth that being said, yeah its safe to say AU would be the overall #1----but I still don't think its a landslide TBH... KU has some pretty impressive wins over MSU, TTU, Iowa State....AU's best win was vs an injury riddled UK team, at home. And TBH, AU has feasted on some good mid-majors, to get osme of those Quad1/2 wins---SLU, Loyola, Murray State....

I'd give the nod to AU, I reckon. Eye test, though? Right now? I;d go with Kentucky. I think they beat AU if 100%...And they dismantled a pretty good KU team.

I overlooked the part of, "If revealed today:---Changes things a tad, huh?

I didn't even realize Providence was 9-2....I did mean Xavier---who is 9-5. But we can go with Providence... 😁

Don't know why I felt GU had already played and beaten SMary's. But TBH, not much of a difference really...MOF, BYU is 8-5 in Quad 1/2 games---SMU is 5-4.

WIth that being said, yeah its safe to say AU would be the overall #1----but I still don't think its a landslide TBH... KU has some pretty impressive wins over MSU, TTU, Iowa State....AU's best win was vs an injury riddled UK team, at home. And TBH, AU has feasted on some good mid-majors, to get osme of those Quad1/2 wins---SLU, Loyola, Murray State....

I'd give the nod to AU, I reckon. Eye test, though? Right now? I;d go with Kentucky. I think they beat AU if 100%...And they dismantled a pretty good KU team.

Yep. Still plenty of time for teams to make moves. Kentucky might have the highest ceiling in the country.

All I know is, this is a great year to pick the field. Usually I feel like there are only 4-5 teams that can cut down the nets. This year, it legitimately seems like 10 teams could win six in a row.

Saint Mary's is actually SMC, which is nice because it would be confusing to distinguish between them and the SMU in Dallas.

Yeah. Gonzaga has done well in the metrics. All of their wins have come by double-digits, minus a 9 point win over 2nd year D1 program, Tarleton State.

But, at the same time, they only have 6 wins over teams in the top 150. 4-2 in Quad 1 Games, 2-0 in Quad 2 Games. They'll get quality games against a few of their WCC rivals - USF, SMC, and BYU. All three of those schools could make the tournament. But, at the same time, those three schools are probably getting seeds in the 8-11 range. So, good teams, but not exactly juggernauts. Does that adequately prepare them for the NCAAs? It's debatable. They're at least better off than most conferences, as they actually get 5 Quad 1 Games in league play. But, still a far cry from the rigors of the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC.

I think Gonzaga is a contender, but still not quite sure exactly how good they really are. I will say, their offense has looked smooth AF during the past month. They've averaged over 102 ppg in the month of January.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
#6 in the NET vs Gonzaga #1 could make it interesting to see how the NCAA would go.
This is the NCAA we're talking about.

Can't find information anywhere to compare seeds with net rankings from prior years. I've always thought the NET rankings were used mostly for separating the different quad games. I don't doubt it's factored into the seedings somehow, but definitely don't think teams are locked into that spot (plus or minus a few spots) on the S-Curve.

I want to say Oklahoma State was ranked around 30th last year before the tournament, and the committee awarded them with a 4 seed. And I think USC was hovering around 10th in the rankings, but they got downgraded to a 6 seed.

At this point, I really don't see how Auburn couldn't be the #1 overall seed. They only have to account for a single loss, one that came in November where they lost in 4 OTs. 80% of the AP voters had Auburn #1; I imagine the committee would see things similar to the voters.

If Auburn gets by bama today, which I expect they will since its at home, they have an easy road until the sec tourney. So them retaining #1 is a good outlook along with the #1 seed. You can go ahead and give them the regular sec title. Well deserving.

We're shooting to improve our seeding and as long as we stay healthy we got a good shot at 2 seed and possibly a 1.

Now I'm not here to start trouble and more than likely this post just gets skipped over anyway...

Can you really make some strong conclusions based on the computer #'s with all this parity?

There were some upsets in the early rounds last year that didn't really move the wow needle but maybe that's just me. I see more of the same coming down the pipe this year.

If you are Auburn or Gonzaga you will not lose in the 1st rd but after that it's anybody's guess.

If Auburn gets by bama today, which I expect they will since its at home, they have an easy road until the sec tourney. So them retaining #1 is a good outlook along with the #1 seed. You can go ahead and give them the regular sec title. Well deserving.

We're shooting to improve our seeding and as long as we stay healthy we got a good shot at 2 seed and possibly a 1.
Hasn't BAMA been that notorious play up or down to the competition this year? Location of game is big good call on that.

Now I'm not here to start trouble and more than likely this post just gets skipped over anyway...

Can you really make some strong conclusions based on the computer #'s with all this parity?

There were some upsets in the early rounds last year that didn't really move the wow needle but maybe that's just me. I see more of the same coming down the pipe this year.

If you are Auburn or Gonzaga you will not lose in the 1st rd but after that it's anybody's guess.
Sorry to disappoint you Ipartiedwithhopgood, but I am not skipping your post as it is relevant. You are a great poster with basketball knowledge.

Auburn and Gonzaga are really good basketball teams; however, they have not been tested. Auburn's schedule in the SEC this year has to be one of the softest in all the SEC. All their "tough" games are at home. Gonzaga has no team in their conference that is "tough". That is the problem in playing in a 'pussy' conference. I wish that UK biggest threat in conference was BYU. He he he he he he he he he he he he he!

What if Louisville's hardest test was BYU? They would never have to play Duke, UNC or Florida State. Louisville would beat the crap out of most of that conference. Sorry but that is just fact.

Auburn fans asking if the overall number 1 gets to pick their region is cracking me up.
Hey is foreign territory to us. I know that I see duke and unc always seeming to get to play in Greensboro, Raleigh, or Charlotte every year when they are 1 seeds

Auburn fans let's pretend your squad has a weakness what would it be?

Y'all doing okay at the charity stripe?
Our weakness is tall guards overwhelming our shorter guards. Kentucky brought pressure early that rattled our guards a bit but We did adapt to it though. Our guards canget turnover happy. We are solid at the line. Defense is very good

Last edited:
Yep. Still plenty of time for teams to make moves. Kentucky might have the highest ceiling in the country.

All I know is, this is a great year to pick the field. Usually I feel like there are only 4-5 teams that can cut down the nets. This year, it legitimately seems like 10 teams could win six in a row.

Saint Mary's is actually SMC, which is nice because it would be confusing to distinguish between them and the SMU in Dallas.
Ahhhhh, shut up.... 😁

And you are right----Wide open. Gonzaga, UK, Auburn, Purdue, Illinois(healthy), Duke, Kansas(dark horse of the group, TBH....just havent been that impressed), Arizona, Baylor, UCLA(?)---possibly MSU, Nova....

Just a damn hat full of teams, really.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Our weakness is tall guards overwhelming our shorter guards. Kentucky brought pressure early that rattled our guards a bit but We did adapt to it though. Our guards canget turnover happy. We are solid at the line. Defense is very good
When you say short, how short? Flanagan a guard right? I saw y'all early in the year I think he was hurt?

When you say short, how short? Flanagan a guard right? I saw y'all early in the year I think he was hurt?
Flanagan plays the 3 but I am not really counting him. Really just looking at our three they routinely handle the ball. Our point guards. Wendall Greene is 5’11. KD Johnson and zep jasper are 6’1 and 6’2.

@ Arkansas and @ Tenn won't be a cakewalk...

Whoa-----wasn't Auburn up 20? I see the score roll across the screen, and its a 4 point game?

WTF?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT