ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t Tari Eason start for LSU?

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
Doing some digging on NBA draft prospects and was wondering why exactly Eason never got moved into the starting lineup, aside from an injury to a guard.

Was it because there was an established starter when he transferred in? They thought he was just that much more impactful off the bench? Any LSU/SEC fans have thoughts on this?

LSU got off to a hot start, won most of their games - and I think Will Wade claimed he didn't need to change something that wasn't broken. A more sensible reason would be that Eason is a very aggressive player that is prone to early foul trouble. You don't want your best player to pickup two early fouls in the first 4 minutes of the game.

Given his insane productivity, I think the crazier thing is that Eason only averaged 24.4 minutes a game. Not uncommon to see bench guys average 28-30 minutes a game. I know LSU had a lot of talented players that merited a fair amount of minutes - and fouls were sometimes an issue for Eason. But, come on! The dude had an argument for being the second best player in the conference, behind only Tshiebwe. At least he won the coveted SEC 6th Man Award.

ADVERTISEMENT