Whoa...

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by SNU0821, Sep 26, 2017.

1. F-Duke

F-Duke Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah he posted earlier this week he's been hearing the Feds are still interviewing people and this is far from over. LA Times just released the article linked above and Feldman said his contacts have said the same thing as the article.

2. mebeblue2

mebeblue2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

i agree with not getting into a debate about fake news, we have had enough politics on this board
    i still think they are just throwing poo on a wall and hoping some of it sticks
    i do not see the FBI allowing any news group inside info
    that is not the way an FBI investigation is supposed to work, any leaked information is a federal crime
    regardless if it is to the media or not
    that is also why i called @Steat out on his lie

please do not take this personally
    i simply do not believe anyone has any inside info on this

1282 mebeblue2, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    F-Duke likes this.
  3. F-Duke

F-Duke Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think the Feds are leaking their info to the media. My guess is the sources aren't from the Feds but the coaching community. People know who's dirty and coaches tell reporters that Coach X has been questioned and there's no way he's clean, etc. Now can the feds prove it is another question.

BoilerDaddy likes this.
  4. topps coach

topps coach Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Imo Addidas is the first step .Do not think they have any solid information at this time on the Nike schools as they just subpoenaed their records and it will take some time to put together any case if there is one.Somewhat surprised that they moved this quickly just on the Addidas schools because now that the cat is out of the bag it will be much more difficult to get anything on tape now.Everyone will be minding their p's and q's for the forseeable future

5. F-Duke

F-Duke Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Then again, Mebeblue2, other people who's opinions I value are echoing your thoughts.

Tweet!

mebeblue2 likes this.
  6. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have to respond to this. Just sooooooo much stupid and ignorance in this. I've known the Langford family for a long, long, LONG time. They are stand up, well educated and respected people within the New Albany community. Romeo is one of the most well mannered, down to earth, "Superstars" you could ever meet. An excellent student who genuinely is concerned with his academics. A kid who hung around hours after a game was over, just to sign autographs for kids., A kid who is very involved in his community. Now, with that being said, can someone have a "dark side" that even their closest of friends are unaware of? Sure. But I'd be absolutely shocked if the Langfords were involved with anything remotely close to what is going on.

Note: Must some of you from BBN always "bang" on a kid when he decides UK isn't for him? I mean I highly doubt Cal just closed off doors for a kid who fits his offense to a god damn "T". A kid who for quitr some time was rated the 2nd best player in 2018. A kid who most experts say is the best scoring wing in this class. Maybe----JUST maybe, Romeo said thanks, but no thanks? I mean like Cal has said, "Kentucky isn't for everyone". Well, maybe that "everyone" was Romeo?

7. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Cannot see this. Dude is one of the most unselfish players of his caliber I have ever seen. Probably a bit to unselfish. Always talk about "the team" whenever interviewed. He's not the type of kid/personality that would have the attitude of "expecting to start". I mean as a freshman, Shannon benched him and Langfords response was----" I deserved it". I'd be happy to provide the story for you. He's always been the type that looked to get his teammates involved, then when needed, do what he does. His response and interviews here in the paper (in reference to making the team) was nothing but that of gratitude and the chance to play with such high level players.

Man are you guys really trying hard to paint such an ugly picture of this young man. And why? Becasue he may not go to UK?

Jesus.

8. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how accurate this is. But I wll say this: Anyone calling Langford selfish has never seen the kid play; or is just plain ignorant, or selfish themselves. And well, we both know Cal has seen him play, soooooo...........................SmokinSmile

9. mebeblue2

Expand Collapse

i think a lot of the people/media are confusing "people of interest that get questioned" with people actually getting charged or did anything wrong
    i do agree with you that people getting questioned will get shared among other people some of them in the media

one of my ul friends told me after hookergate
    if you are innocent keep your mouth shut
    if you are guilty absolutely keep your mouth shut

10. Wildcat-in-STL

Wildcat-in-STL Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You guys have to realize........... coaches are going to spread disinformation like wildfire to try and get a leg up on the competition in recruiting...

So the former high level D1 coach........... Pitino or Calhoun? Pitino's lawyer said he got done speaking to the FBI recently.. so my money is on him and yes 99.99999999999 % of the time Pitino would love his name being read in an article but I'm sure the FBI warned him to keep his mouth shut about anything he was questioned about so he had to be anonymous in the article. Just my gut feeling.

11. Wildcat-in-STL

Wildcat-in-STL Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

TJ over on the HOB is about 10x's better of a source than where I heard my rumor from above... I'm sure someone you know has access so read it and I think you can see both sides of the story and how sometimes things just dont work out. but Cal definitely was done with the recruitment first.

12. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I dunno who was done first. Don't really care. That wasn't what I was posting about. Linking Langord to what is going on was my gripe. I know the kid. Know his family. Just not that type of kid, i.e. selfish, complain about not starting, etc, etc...Just not his style. And to say he's going bring "dirty money with him" is just a lazy and ignorant statement.

Note: As for his intrest in UK? I'm not sure how much was ever really there. He was a big Duke lean. They wanted him to go to prep school. Family didn't like that. Duke went away. A big UL fan. But with the mess they have endured, UL(as you know) was dropped. had it not been for that, I think he would've ended up a Cardinal. I'm just not sold UK was ever "in the mix" that seriously with Romeo. I've got really close ties with the NA program(went to school there.) Kentucky wasn't really ever mentioned. Not to mention UK got in the Langford recruitment a bit late. But from the get go it was Duke and UL. Then when IU made a change, he(Romeo) become more interested in IU.

As for who was done with the recruitment first? Well, IDK. Like I said, I'm not sure UK was ever a major player for Romeo. SO not really sure how you can stop something that was never really started.

In other words: Cal very well may have ended things first. But that was probably due to him knowing Langford had no intentions of coming to UK.

I do know UK was discouraged about Romeo's progress. So maybe that to was a reason. I dunno.

IMO his final 3(which he will announce in Nov) will be Kansas, Indiana and one of Vandy/UNC.

My gut tells me he goes to Kansas. But I've heard a lot of chatter than it very well could be Indiana.

13. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This right here proves that Cal backed off. Everyone know Cal only gets big men and guards; the last great wing Cal got was MKG, and he couldn't shoot. SmokinSmile

14. klize17

klize17 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

15. jarms24

jarms24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This just got more interesting

klize17 likes this.
  16. jarms24

Expand Collapse

17. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So they're acknowledging that they've obtained documents between Kansas and Adidas but doesn't specify whether or not anything illegal occurred. Could be nothing. Hope it's nothing.

18. jarms24

Expand Collapse

Didn't KU's AD or somebody recently say they haven't been contacted?

19. Big_C_KU

Big_C_KU Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't really have a response. Could be bad and evidence of illegal work involving KU or it could just mean they have a file for KU. I'm sure they have a file on every school who has a contract with Adidas including the big time schools like KU and UCLA. Have to know more.

They succeeded though with the headline as most will just read the headline and very vague explanations in the paper and feel their was definite wrong doing.

20. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well I was out of town during the week all of this happened so I wasn't able to follow closely but that article says;

"The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke."

21. jarms24

Expand Collapse

If nothing, I'm not sure why a KU official would blatantly lie.

22. Big_C_KU

Big_C_KU Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't be surprised if he was full of shit. That said FBI having a file for KU doesn't prove they've contacted anyone at KU. This is a federal investigation. The FBI or police don't call people up and let them know they are involved in an investigation ahead of time. I fully expected KU to be investigated considering their relationship with Adidas. Their file involving KU could be huge or could be small.

With OSU and Arizona's involvement I fully expect Adidas schools to not be the only ones being looked at.

KisteK likes this.
  23. Jayhox

Jayhox Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Lazy journalism, as usual. I'm sure the FBI has a copy of every contract Adidas has with anyone in college basketball. And they got it from Adidas. So KU's reps are likely correct in saying they haven't been contacted. The FBI doesn't need to contact anyone but Adidas to get copies of all college basketball-related contracts. They probably have the Nike contracts, too.

24. Da_Bull

Da_Bull Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure Adidas put down on paper/computer "Payment to recruit to play basketball for Kansas"

jarms24 likes this.
  25. RipThru

RipThru Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

. Or it could be Vandy/UNC. But of course you knew that already, seeing as you’re tight with the family and all....

1305 RipThru, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  26. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There are posters who believe(d, I hope) that Fran could have known. Fran, smmfh.

Btwn that and the boner-marathon every time Kansas' name gets brought up, this thread is epic.

I hope, before they out Kansas, there's a couple more weeks of teaser stories.
    It's the internet's Pavlov.

27. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doubtful it is Vanderbilt. UNC could be an option. That will depend on what happens with the NCAA; if anything. Right now I think Kansas leads. But I do know IU isn't far behind.

Note: "tight with the family"? Never said that. Said I've known them(for a long time). And well, I have. What HELPS is I am from New Albany. Played at New Albany. Have a ton of friends who are active within the program, i.e. have kids that play. Went to school with the head JV coach. I've officiated a ton of their games)reg season/summer. In other words, I'm quite familiar with the program and those around it. Now with that being said, I really don't know anymore about where he is going than you. His father(Tim) has kept his recruitment very close to the vest. But what I do know more than you, or any other UK fan, or fan for that matter, is his character, type of kid he is, etc, etc...For one, he's the furthest thing from selfish as I have ever seen. MOF, it's been a "gripe" of NA fans. Feel he defers to much, sometimes. But when it is time to go, make no mistake, this kid takes over. Another ignorant remark made was that he was (possibly) mad for not starting on the U19 team. Find that very, very, very hard to believe. Disappointed? Yeah. But mad? Just no. Not the type of player/teammate he is.

This kid is not only a special talent, be a solid kid who's a terrific teammate. Whoever gets him will be fortunate.

28. mebeblue2

Expand Collapse

i salute you

KisteK likes this.