ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would Have Won The 2020 Title?

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
I am sure this has already been talked about. But I have been away for awhile.

Pretty sure we all agreed it was UK just to keep their fans at bay. It's really what is best for the board. hashtagNatio9alChampions
ezgif-4-b3d24ac6e626.gif

Cough, Bill Self, cough.

When Self has failed in the tourney, it’s generally been a) when there was little time to gameplan and b) when there was a major injury. His record with prep time is great, and he’s got a ridiculous record vs highly ranked teams.

The tourney can be a bitch. It’s not set up to consistently reward the top team/coach.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we all agreed it was UK just to keep their fans at bay. It's really what is best for the board. hashtagNatio9alChampions
Naw, Louisville would’ve beaten UK in the championship by 1 point.
John Higgins made a horrible call on a UK player that sends Louisville to the line to win the game.

Nobody has a crystal ball, but Kansas was far-and-away the best team.

That’s all that can be said.

Well that, and, ‘there would have been a lot of U-dunk-a going on’.

636581306364337582-USATSI-10753824.jpg

Reactions: cooljeff
It was truly wide open. KU was playing the best ball but the overall #1 seed loses a lot plus Bill Self chokes more than Momma Cass on a ham sandwich in the tourney. SDS and Dayton would have gotten bitch slapped and Baylor was fading.

Literally one of 10-12 teams had a great shot.

It was truly wide open. KU was playing the best ball but the overall #1 seed loses a lot plus Bill Self chokes more than Momma Cass on a ham sandwich in the tourney. SDS and Dayton would have gotten bitch slapped and Baylor was fading.

Literally one of 10-12 teams had a great shot.
This. Was wide open

Going into the tournament, IMO there were 3, 4 or 5 teams that were playing really well...

MSU, KU, UK, UVA, Gonzaga and FSU. Not sure if UVA had the offense to win it, but they were rolling. Nova was starting to come on as well..

Other teams quite capable that hit a lull, were UL, Baylor and Duke.

Dayton and SDSU were legit contenders. I know their schedules weren't great, but those teams were good.

As always the draw would've played a huge role. But IMO, our champion was coming from that group. As wide open as the tourney was, I still believe we were gonna see the Big Boys in the ELite 8/FF....

Would not have been surprised to see a FF of KU, UK, FSU and MSU....Or, UL, Duke, Baylor and Nova... Or a Gonzaga, Dayton mix...

Not really. Their Kenpom is similar to last years #5 team in Kenpom. It was a weak year.

What does last year’s field have to do with this year?

Only about 3 top-rated teams in the Kenpom era have had a greater separation from #2. Two of them won it all.

Reactions: HawksJ
I’m not saying they aren’t the best team, but this years Kansas team isn’t an all time great team or some powerhouse. They were the favorite to win it but they still have probably sub 15% chance to actually win it.
That’s all true.

Like I said, all one can say is that they were the best.

When Self has failed in the tourney, it’s generally been a) when there was little time to gameplan and b) when there was a major injury. His record with prep time is great, and he’s got a ridiculous record vs highly ranked teams.

The tourney can be a bitch. It’s not set up to consistently reward the top team/coach.

So you hate how the tourney is set up, but the undeniable truth is that during Bill Self's time at KU his team has a much higher chance to lose to mid majors and double-seeded teams, than any other blueblood programs on the same level as KU. Coincidence?

So you hate how the tourney is set up, but the undeniable truth is that during Bill Self's time at KU his team has a much higher chance to lose to mid majors and double-seeded teams, than any other blueblood programs on the same level as KU. Coincidence?

Lehigh or Mercer ring a bell? A 15 seed and a 14.

Oh, and K also lost to a worse VCU team in the first round a few years before Bill did.

Derp.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT