ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would have Won last year?

Correct.

I switched Iowa so they came out of another region......because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.

Would you like me to share the bracket?

giphy.gif

EvilMonkey's 2020 NCAA Tournament Bracket of Doom:

South (Houston):
1. Kansas Jayhawks
2. Kentucky Wildcats
3. Louisville Cardinals
4. Wisconsin Badgers
5. Auburn Tigers
6. Michigan Wolverines
7. Illinois Fighting Illini
8. Utah State Aggies
9. St. Mary's Gaels
10. Arizona State Sun Devils
11. East Tennessee State Buccaneers
12. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
13. Vermont Catamounts
14. UC Irvine Anteaters
15. North Dakota State Bison
16. Boston U. Terriers / North Carolina Central Eagles

West (Los Angeles):
1. Gonzaga Bulldogs
2. San Diego State Aztecs
3. Oregon Ducks
4. Duke Blue Devils
5. BYU Cougars
6. Iowa Hawkeyes
7. Penn State Nittany Lions
8. Colorado Buffaloes
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders
10. Southern California Trojans
11. Oklahoma Sooners
12. Akron Zips
13. Yale Bulldogs
14. Bradley Braves
15. Eastern Washington Eagles
16. Prairie View A&M Panthers / Robert Morris Colonials

East (New York City):
1. Baylor Bears
2. Florida State Seminoles
3. Villanova Wildcats
4. Maryland Terrapins
5. Seton Hall Pirates
6. Houston Cougars
7. Cincinnati Bearcats
8. Marquette Golden Eagles
9. Rutgers Scarlet Knights
10. Florida Gators
11. Indiana Hoosiers
12. North Carolina State Wolfpack / Texas Longhorns
13. Belmont Bruins
14. North Texas Mean Green
15. Winthrop Eagles
16. Siena Saints

Midwest (Indianapolis):
1. Dayton Flyers
2. Creighton Blue Jays
3. Michigan State Spartans
4. Virginia Cavaliers
5. Ohio State Buckeyes
6. Butler Bulldogs
7. LSU Tigers
8. West Virginia Mountaineers
9. Providence Friars
10. Arizona Wildcats
11. Richmond Spiders / UCLA Bruins
12. Liberty Flames
13. New Mexico State Aggies
14. Hofstra Pride
15. Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans
16. Northern Kentucky Norse

EvilMonkey's 2020 NCAA Tournament Bracket of Doom:

South (Houston):
1. Kansas Jayhawks
2. Kentucky Wildcats
3. Louisville Cardinals
4. Wisconsin Badgers
5. Auburn Tigers
6. Michigan Wolverines
7. Illinois Fighting Illini
8. Utah State Aggies
9. St. Mary's Gaels
10. Arizona State Sun Devils
11. East Tennessee State Buccaneers
12. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
13. Vermont Catamounts
14. UC Irvine Anteaters
15. North Dakota State Bison
16. Boston U. Terriers / North Carolina Central Eagles

West (Los Angeles):
1. Gonzaga Bulldogs
2. San Diego State Aztecs
3. Oregon Ducks
4. Duke Blue Devils
5. BYU Cougars
6. Iowa Hawkeyes
7. Penn State Nittany Lions
8. Colorado Buffaloes
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders
10. Southern California Trojans
11. Oklahoma Sooners
12. Akron Zips
13. Yale Bulldogs
14. Bradley Braves
15. Eastern Washington Eagles
16. Prairie View A&M Panthers / Robert Morris Colonials

East (New York City):
1. Baylor Bears
2. Florida State Seminoles
3. Villanova Wildcats
4. Maryland Terrapins
5. Seton Hall Pirates
6. Houston Cougars
7. Cincinnati Bearcats
8. Marquette Golden Eagles
9. Rutgers Scarlet Knights
10. Florida Gators
11. Indiana Hoosiers
12. North Carolina State Wolfpack / Texas Longhorns
13. Belmont Bruins
14. North Texas Mean Green
15. Winthrop Eagles
16. Siena Saints

Midwest (Indianapolis):
1. Dayton Flyers
2. Creighton Blue Jays
3. Michigan State Spartans
4. Virginia Cavaliers
5. Ohio State Buckeyes
6. Butler Bulldogs
7. LSU Tigers
8. West Virginia Mountaineers
9. Providence Friars
10. Arizona Wildcats
11. Richmond Spiders / UCLA Bruins
12. Liberty Flames
13. New Mexico State Aggies
14. Hofstra Pride
15. Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans
16. Northern Kentucky Norse

@dukedevilz what are your thoughts on this bracket?

People forget how hot MSU was heading into March.

Closed out the regular season with wins over
vs #18 Iowa
at #9 Maryland
at #20 Penn State
vs #19 Ohio State

Winston and Tillman were on a roll.

Also, lol at PSU for having their one good season ruined.

I think than south bracket is absolutely LOADED and doubt the ncaaT would do that to number 1 overall Kansas. Jk looks great man makes me wonder what could have been.

You did give duke the cakewalk bracket so that lines up. Not sure how they play all their games in NC out of the west bracket but I’m sure the NCAA would figure something out.

I think than south bracket is absolutely LOADED and doubt the ncaaT would do that to number 1 overall Kansas. Jk looks great man makes me wonder what could have been.

You did give duke the cakewalk bracket so that lines up. Not sure how they play all their games in NC out of the west bracket but I’m sure the NCAA would figure something out.
Even with made up brackets, UK can't catch a break. Winking

Looking at the juxtaposition of my bracket and his, the teams are very similar. The only difference between the at-large bids is, I had Wichita State in the dance, whereas he had Texas. However, there are several seeding discrepancies of 2+ places.

Overseeded:
Kentucky: 2 (4) (There were 13 really good teams to consider for the top 12 spots, and Kentucky just happened to be #13 on my S-list).
Utah State: 8 (10)
Texas Tech: 9 (11)
Cincinnati: 7 (12)
Virginia: 4 (6)

Underseeded
Penn State: 7 (5)
Seton Hall: 5 (3)
West Virginia: 8 (6)
Arizona: 10 (7)

Also, the tournament committee has guidelines not to have regular season rematches in the first round, if possible. So, Saint Mary's and Utah State probably wouldn't happen.

As far as how the regions break down, I think the East is by far the toughest region. I have Seton Hall and Maryland as 3 seeds. He has them as 4 and 5 seeds, respectively. Those two teams both had enough firepower to make serious runs at the Final Four. And then you throw in Baylor, Florida State, and Villanova? Brutal. Midwest looks relatively soft. Dayton, Creighton, Michigan State, Virginia, and Ohio State.

I'd take Kansas over Louisville in the East. Oregon over Gonzaga in the West. Florida State over Maryland in the East. And Dayton over Michigan State in the Midwest. Kansas beats Oregon, while Dayton takes out FSU in the Final Four. Kansas over Dayton in the finals.

Here is my bracket. Although, looking at it closer, the East looks rough again. Dayton, Florida State, Maryland, and Kentucky. Would be a heckuva regional. Double-click on the image to expand.

2020-NCAAT.png

If you take the KenPom numbers, the South doesn't look like anything special. You could probably say you have the top 1 and 3 seed. After that, not so much. Kentucky's value was probably diminished a bit by the loss to Evansville. But, they weren't exactly steamrolling folks, either. 15 of their 25 wins were by single-digits. I don't think Kentucky was deserving of a 2 seed. 3 seed, perhaps.

Kansas- 1
Louisville- 9
Wisconsin- 22
Kentucky- 29
Auburn- 33

And not sure why you think Duke had an easy path in this hypothetical. BYU had one of the most potent offenses in the country. Led the nation in 3-point field goal percentage. Gonzaga had the most efficient offense. After that, potentially San Diego State or Oregon in the West Finals. Those two schools had two of the best playmakers in all of college basketball. Guards win in March, so facing the gauntlet wouldn't exactly be easy, especially in the West. And giving Duke a 4-seed isn't doing us any favors. We beat the ACC Champs, the Big 12 champs, and the Big Ten champs. 5 of our 6 losses were close. I think we probably would have been a 3 seed. Probably a 2-seed if we got past FSU in the ACC Semis.

If you take the KenPom numbers, the South doesn't look like anything special. You could probably say you have the top 1 and 3 seed. After that, not so much. Kentucky's value was probably diminished a bit by the loss to Evansville. But, they weren't exactly steamrolling folks, either. 15 of their 25 wins were by single-digits. I don't think Kentucky was deserving of a 2 seed. 3 seed, perhaps.

Kansas- 1
Louisville- 9
Wisconsin- 22
Kentucky- 29
Auburn- 33

And not sure why you think Duke had an easy path in this hypothetical. BYU had one of the most potent offenses in the country. Led the nation in 3-point field goal percentage. Gonzaga had the most efficient offense. After that, potentially San Diego State or Oregon in the West Finals. Those two schools had two of the best playmakers in all of college basketball. Guards win in March, so facing the gauntlet wouldn't exactly be easy, especially in the West. And giving Duke a 4-seed isn't doing us any favors. We beat the ACC Champs, the Big 12 champs, and the Big Ten champs. 5 of our 6 losses were close. I think we probably would have been a 3 seed. Probably a 2-seed if we got past FSU in the ACC Semis.
I had to go with the standings as they were, and not assume who would win the conference tournaments, which obviously can make a huge impact on how and where teams are seeded, especially when you have mid major favorites get ousted by lower seeds. And of course, teams can and will improve (or hurt) their potential seed line based on the tournament.

I do remember when I first showed this someone mentioning about St. Mary's and Utah State having played, which was just an oversight on my part.

And some of the seeds were based on my subjective opinion of either how I thought they were playing or how I thought they compared matchup-wise to other teams. I did try to rank every team 1-68 before drafting the brackets.

Oh and I, uh, may have perhaps seeded Duke a spot lower because I'd rather prefer Iowa never plays Duke in a 2nd Rd NCAA Tournament game ever again...............unofficially speaking, of course. :)

I had to go with the standings as they were, and not assume who would win the conference tournaments, which obviously can make a huge impact on how and where teams are seeded, especially when you have mid major favorites get ousted by lower seeds. And of course, teams can and will improve (or hurt) their potential seed line based on the tournament.

I do remember when I first showed this someone mentioning about St. Mary's and Utah State having played, which was just an oversight on my part.

And some of the seeds were based on my subjective opinion of either how I thought they were playing or how I thought they compared matchup-wise to other teams. I did try to rank every team 1-68 before drafting the brackets.

Oh and I, uh, may have perhaps seeded Duke a spot lower because I'd rather prefer Iowa never plays Duke in a 2nd Rd NCAA Tournament game ever again...............unofficially speaking, of course. :)

Haha yeah. We got you guys in 91 and 92, IIRC. I've got Duke and Iowa as a potential Round of 32 matchup in the Midwest Region. But, yes, certainly a lot of subjectivity. And you'll always see a wide range of seeding discrepancies on the bracket matrix. That's typical. I think every year after the field has been revealed, there are always a few-head scratchers as in, "Why is that team seeded so low (or high)?" But, cool to see that we had almost the exact same teams for the at-large bids. 35 out of 36. Not bad.

I was just kidding mostly.

While Gonzaga, SDSU, and Oregon are no doubt talented teams it just seems like west coast teams rarely make a run sans Gonzaga. Oregon is the only other west coast team I can remember making a run this decade. But obv that has nothing to do with the teams they put on the court last year.

ADVERTISEMENT