ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would have Won last year?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
We know UNC's out, but there were a lot of good teams last year and it was shaping up to be a great tournament.

Reactions: GE Nole
KU was the favorite entering conference tournament with arguably the most impossible matchup to handle in Dok. Tournament is a crap shoot though. Do have damn near 100% confidence though that the 2020 KU team would have at least made the Final 4. The 2 best Kenpom rated KU defenses under Self were 2008 at 85.7 and 2012 at 87.1. Those both made the F4. Ku’s 2020 Kenpom defense was rated 85.5 to go along with a top 10 rated offense.

UK would've been another E8 team IMO. IDK how far they could've gone after that tho. They were battle tested and won a lot of tight games. They knew how to close out games. Basically the complete opposite of this year's team. Maxey, Quickley, and Richards were playing really good basketball. Hagan's threw a fit towards the end of the year so maybe that would've impacted the team chemistry heading into the tourney.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Louisville was playing as good as anyone last year, I definitely believe that Louisville could’ve made a run.

UK. In fact . . . . didn’t you already call it?
ArtisticAnimatedAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

KU was the favorite entering conference tournament with arguably the most impossible matchup to handle in Dok. Tournament is a crap shoot though. Do have damn near 100% confidence though that the 2020 KU team would have at least made the Final 4. The 2 best Kenpom rated KU defenses under Self were 2008 at 85.7 and 2012 at 87.1. Those both made the F4. Ku’s 2020 Kenpom defense was rated 85.5 to go along with a top 10 rated offense.

Kansas was definitely one of a few teams that had a realistic chance to cut down the nets.

My non-homer response is the following teams had the look of title teams:

Kansas for all the reasons mentioned in the post I quoted.

San Diego State — athletic team with great guard play, which can take you a long way in March.

Louisville - Physical, multiple weapons on O, length and athleticism underneath, and a guy (Nwora) who could take over games down the stretch.

Maryland - Very balanced team. Could win games in a variety of ways. Senior leader at PG.

Florida State - Ridiculous depth. The 6th man (who won 6th man of the year in ACC) was the 4th pick in the draft and is starting for the Bulls. He was also just starting to put it all together at the end of the year. Senior leader PG who was the winningest player in school history. Two-way stud on the wing who was another lottery pick. Multiple 7 footers down low who were physical. “Peak FSU” last year was a death star.

Yeah I gotta go with AUBURN here. Veteran team with final 4 experience. Plus the best draft prospect in the tourney in Isaac Okoro.

Auburn's been getting what it deserves for decades.

Auburn athletics just had it’s most successful decade in program history overall. Drastically better than that shit ass Kansas athletic department.
I see auburn is still rent free in your head though...

Nimrod logic:

I'm going to create 5,000 threads with laughably homerish Auburn takes. And if anyone responds, Auburn lives rent-free in their heads!

Feel like Baylor was really good as well, with Gillespie down low to go with this years version.

But gun to my head kansas. I’m just enamored with dok. Poor mans Shaq but still impossible to stop (except at the ft line)

Although I was never sold on dotson. I bet KU hard vs nova last year and dotson absolutely shit the bed down the stretch that game. Missing fts, dumb TOs down the stretch. But that’s just one game.

Reactions: KisteK
Which was a vastly better decade than Kansas has ever had in its entire athletics history

Well, let's see...no one cares about anything but basketball and football, if you're trying to go there.

So it looks like you averaged less than 8 wins/season in football, with a 3-5 record in bowl games. 17 wins/season in basketball, with a fluke tourney run.

Am I missing anything?

I know you want to squeeze 2010 in there, but sorry....previous decade.

You guys sure love mediocrity down there.

Feel like Baylor was really good as well, with Gillespie down low to go with this years version.

But gun to my head kansas. I’m just enamored with dok. Poor mans Shaq but still impossible to stop (except at the ft line)

Although I was never sold on dotson. I bet KU hard vs nova last year and dotson absolutely shit the bed down the stretch that game. Missing fts, dumb TOs down the stretch. But that’s just one game.

Dotson was excellent last year. He and Udoka were both top 5 players in the country per Kenpom.

Dotson was excellent last year. He and Udoka were both top 5 players in the country per Kenpom.

Kenpom also has Russ Smith as the most EFFICIENT player in the nation his senior year. And if you’ve ever watched Russ, he was a helluva scorer, but I wouldnt call efficiently his strong suit, esp when he was so careless with the ball and a sub par ft shooter for a guard.

Not to mention this year his top ten players are like 70% big ten players.

But point taken, I shouldn’t jidge him off of one game just because he cost me $$$.

Kenpom also has Russ Smith as the most EFFICIENT player in the nation his senior year. And if you’ve ever watched Russ, he was a helluva scorer, but I wouldnt call efficiently his strong suit, esp when he was so careless with the ball and a sub par ft shooter for a guard.

Not to mention this year his top ten players are like 70% big ten players.

But point taken, I shouldn’t jidge him off of one game just because he cost me $$$.

Imagine if someone formed an opinion of Louisville based on the Wisconsin game.

Dotson was consistently great.

Imagine if someone formed an opinion of Louisville based on the Wisconsin game.

Dotson was consistently great.

Touche I conceded I shouldn’t judge him off one game, which he didn’t even play really bad just choked down the stretch.

I feel bad for your avatar. @ExitFlagger lost a similar avatar bet, and I also let him off the hook. You stayed true, and he bailed.

Don't lie.

Edit: Nevermind. Misread.

I would've kept it if you insisted. Even though I would have never made the bet if I'd have known Udoka wouldn't be available.

Last edited:
Here's how I'd rank the odds:

1. Kansas- 29%
2. Dayton- 14%
3. Florida State- 9%
4. Baylor- 8%
5. Gonzaga- 6%
6. San Diego State- 5%
7. Maryland- 4%

Others: Duke, Michigan State, Villanova, Creighton, Kentucky, Louisville: anywhere from 2-3% for each team, combined 15%.

Everyone else combined: 10%

Hmmm yea I forgot how good fsu was. They dog walked us twice. No real weaknesses. Big strong guards. They had it all imo.

I’ll go Kansas vs FSU

Reactions: KisteK and GE Nole
Here's how I'd rank the odds:

1. Kansas- 29%
2. Dayton- 14%
3. Florida State- 9%
4. Baylor- 8%
5. Gonzaga- 6%
6. San Diego State- 5%
7. Maryland- 4%

Others: Duke, Michigan State, Villanova, Creighton, Kentucky, Louisville: anywhere from 2-3% for each team, combined 15%.

Everyone else combined: 10%

No offense but I don’t buy 5-7 but someone’s gotta be there. I wouldn’t have been scared to play any of those teams in the tourney although I realize they were very good teams. I feel teams like UL, UK, nova, sparty were just as good if not better. But jmo

Kansas loses to a directional school in the second round
Duke goes out to (throws name out of a hat) Vermont in a 3-14 classic
Kentucky loses in the elite 8 after leading for 35 minutes because Cal goes stall ball
North Carolina RollLaugh

Hmmm yea I forgot how good fsu was. They dog walked us twice. No real weaknesses. Big strong guards. They had it all imo.

I’ll go Kansas vs FSU

Well, that makes me feel better about Duke's odds. We went 2-0 against possibly the two best teams in 2020. Of course we were 3-0 against the title teams in 2019.

No offense but I don’t buy 5-7 but someone’s gotta be there. I wouldn’t have been scared to play any of those teams in the tourney although I realize they were very good teams. I feel teams like UL, UK, nova, sparty were just as good if not better. But jmo

You guys were 4-6 in Quad 1 Games, while Gonzaga was 6-2 and San Diego State was 4-1. Gonzaga wasn't as good as this year, obviously, but they were still a title contender. Still had a dynamic offense. SDSU had arguably the best point guard in the country + a top 10 defense + multiple lethal shooters from the outside. Maybe Maryland wasn't the 7th best team. That one is more up for grabs.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT