ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the ACC?

Who will win the ACC Regular Season Title in 2021?

• Clemson

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Duke

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Florida State

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Virginia

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
Man, losing Bryce McGowens realllllly hurt me earlier this year. I’d had a few opportunities to speak with him and his dad and they seemed all in on Hamilton, assistant coach Steve Smith (who’s THE guy in South Carolina with high schools—we hired him from Clemson), and FSU. Hell, Bryce was our first commit for 2021 way back in February of 2020.

And then his bro goes to Nebraska and Covid happens and apparently Bryce starts to get a little nervous of the other 5 stars we are signing and next thing you know he’s switching to Nebraska. Which...is just crazy given how likely he would be a one or two and done in our system.

Now, having said all that, our system only works when every single guy buys into the notion of only playing 20-25 minutes a game, even if you’re a five star. So it wouldn’t have been good for Bryce or FSU if he’s not bought in all the way. Just look at Von Wafer and Malik Beasley.

But man, that kid is a freaking stud. Long, bouncy, can score at all three levels, good hoops IQ, and solid playmaker. He’s WAY better than Trey.

Yeah wasn’t happy about that either, but getting Mills from Houston to transfer in softened the blow.

Haha crazy. Can't believe UVA lost to State at home. Embarrassing. Yes, you guys are absolutely in the drivers seat. Looks like you guys will be the outright regular season champions for the second year in a row. Very impressive.

Yup. And there are quite a few variables that KenPom can't account for, such as injuries and garbage time. So yes, we need to be a little cautious in how we evaluate teams. My intuition would lead me to believe that FSU had a top 25 defense, so I was surprised to see their ranking that low. But, I think you guys are fine. Honestly, I think a lot of people are going to be picking FSU for the Final Four. I might, just depends on who's in their region.
It has been nice to hear the perspectives of other fans who are heaping praise on FSU, as well as the pundits, because you can definitely convince yourself that your team is better than it is.

We can definitely lay an egg when we aren't motivated, which is basically what happened in each loss this year. I don't see that being a possibility in March/April.

Besides not being in the Gonzaga or Baylor region, we basically want to avoid teams that have a PG who is above average as far as their ability to break down the defense off the dribble. This is the biggest flaw in our team this year, although it has gotten much better. We have a lot of guys that we can put in front of them on defense to give them different looks, and our switching has gotten to be something that resembled last year, although Williams was just an eraser back there for us at the end.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yeah wasn’t happy about that either, but getting Mills from Houston to transfer in softened the blow.

It did indeed. I’m a big Caleb Mills fan. But he simply doesn’t have the length of Bryce McGowens.

Bryce was like creating a physical mold in a lab of what type of player best fits our system. But again, if he didn’t have the mental buy-in...good luck, kid.

And bringing in the long, skilled, and athletic Matthew Cleveland certainly doesn’t hurt!

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
It did indeed. I’m a big Caleb Mills fan. But he simply doesn’t have the length of Bryce McGowens.

Bryce was like creating a physical mold in a lab of what type of player best fits our system. But again, if he didn’t have the mental buy-in...good luck, kid.

And bringing in the long, skilled, and athletic Matthew Cleveland certainly doesn’t hurt!

Butler is really interesting. 7-1 and shooting 33% in HS from 3.

Butler is really interesting. 7-1 and shooting 33% in HS from 3.

He’s interesting long term but not strong enough to really make an impact next year, IMO. Obviously with kids, bodies can change quickly though.

Next year I imagine the top 10 in minutes will be (in rough order):
Anthony Polite
Balsa
Sardaar Calhoun
Caleb Mills
Rayquan Evans
Malik Osborne
Matthew Cleveland
Jalen Warley
Wyatt Wilkes
Quincy Ballard

Good lord that team is gonna be deep.

He’s interesting long term but not strong enough to really make an impact next year, IMO. Obviously with kids, bodies can change quickly though.

Anthony Polite
Balsa
Sardaar Calhoun
Caleb Mills
Rayquan Evans
Malik Osborne
Matthew Cleveland
Jalen Warley
Wyatt Wilkes
Quincy Ballard

Sad that Turk won't be here for it(reverse jinx)

Reactions: GE Nole
Man, losing Bryce McGowens realllllly hurt me earlier this year. I’d had a few opportunities to speak with him and his dad and they seemed all in on Hamilton, assistant coach Steve Smith (who’s THE guy in South Carolina with high schools—we hired him from Clemson), and FSU. Hell, Bryce was our first commit for 2021 way back in February of 2020.

And then his bro goes to Nebraska and Covid happens and apparently Bryce starts to get a little nervous of the other 5 stars we are signing and next thing you know he’s switching to Nebraska. Which...is just crazy given how likely he would be a one or two and done in our system.

Now, having said all that, our system only works when every single guy buys into the notion of only playing 20-25 minutes a game, even if you’re a five star. So it wouldn’t have been good for Bryce or FSU if he’s not bought in all the way. Just look at Von Wafer and Malik Beasley.

But man, that kid is a freaking stud. Long, bouncy, can score at all three levels, good hoops IQ, and solid playmaker. He’s WAY better than Trey.

I'm impressed that Ham has got so many players to buy in, to be honest. You'd think a lot of your top recruits and/or more effective players would feel they merit 30+ minutes. It really is impressive... But yeah, you got to wonder if Bryce would be a headache to manage, similar to Trey. Maybe you dodged a bullet? Too early to say. Certainly a good looking prospect. I hate when you love a recruit's game and they end up signing elsewhere.

Anthony Polite
Balsa
Sardaar Calhoun
Caleb Mills
Rayquan Evans
Malik Osborne
Matthew Cleveland
Jalen Warley
Wyatt Wilkes
Quincy Ballard

Not at the 5 but he may get a bit of time at forward.

You're expecting to lose Raiquan Gray to the NBA I presume?

I think so. Two months ago I would have said 20% chance he goes. But now I think it’s like 60/40 he leaves.

He’s turned into a double double machine who can legit play point forward when needed. He’s the best defender on the team, can switch on guys 2-5, is a very good playmaker, and is showcasing improved athleticism as his body transforms. And above all that, he’s already 21 and will graduate this semester.

I’d love for him to return, but I just don’t know if his stock gets any higher than what it would be if he leads a solid tourney run.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Not at the 5 but he may get a bit of time at forward.

Over who? Osborne, Wilkes, Cleveland, and Calhoun can all play our 3/4 wing slots. (We don’t really have a “power forward” anymore).

I mean, sure e could play a few minutes here and there against scrubs, but I wouldn’t expect him to play in ACC season.

I'm impressed that Ham has got so many players to buy in, to be honest. You'd think a lot of your top recruits and/or more effective players would feel they merit 30+ minutes. It really is impressive... But yeah, you got to wonder if Bryce would be a headache to manage, similar to Trey. Maybe you dodged a bullet? Too early to say. Certainly a good looking prospect. I hate when you love a recruit's game and they end up signing elsewhere.

It’s more that Ham just doesn’t recruit a kid who won’t do it. He tells them straight up, “don’t come here if you’re looking for 34 minutes a game. We play 12 guys and you’re gonna give us 100% when you’re on the court, and cheer for your team when you aren’t.”

Some guys like Ant Edwards decide that’s not for them. But guys like Pat Williams, Scottie Barnes, and Jon Isaac all embrace it.

Of course it helps when you send guys off the bench to the 1st round of the NBA draft in two straight years. And it will be three straight with Barnes.

Over who? Osborne, Wilkes, Cleveland, and Calhoun can all play our 3/4 wing slots. (We don’t really have a “power forward” anymore).

I mean, sure e could play a few minutes here and there against scrubs, but I wouldn’t expect him to play in ACC season.

I’m not familiar with your guys but athleticism translates. We’ve had to play sam williamson at the 4 bc of Malik Williams injury and hes been a double double machine though no where near as consistent as gray. He had a 20 pt 18 reb game playing pf mainly. So I wouldn’t count out any tall athletic wing to be able to play the 4. Like I feel like if MJ Walker or Barnes played for us they could have played some 4 before Malik came back and done fine, more than hold their own. Now it’s not like we are juggernauts or anything to make that any more impressive to what he’s done at FSU just making the point that if they are athletic and have a motor they could probly play both 3/4

Unless y’all have some kind of systematic difference in the way the 3 and the 4 play vs our system.

I don’t know, but he may have a unique skill set for a guy 7-1 coming out of HS. Not saying he starts. I see Cleveland as a 2 guard, but who knows.

How are they doing to decide the regular season champion? Is it win %? FSU is now one game back in the W column and has one less loss. Looks like UVA will end the year playing two more conference games.

How are they doing to decide the regular season champion? Is it win %? FSU is now one game back in the W column and has one less loss. Looks like UVA will end the year playing two more conference games.

It’s win percentage, and if tied, then head to head.

And wow, what a putrid, pathetic, immature second half performance by FSU yesterday. Just don’t have a Trent Forrest this year who can step on the throat when an opponent is on the ropes. It’s why we are an Elite 8 team but not Final Four, despite a high ceiling.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
It’s win percentage, and if tied, then head to head.

And wow, what a putrid, pathetic, immature second half performance by FSU yesterday. Just don’t have a Trent Forrest this year who can step on the throat when an opponent is on the ropes. It’s why we are an Elite 8 team but not Final Four, despite a high ceiling.

We really needed that one. I don’t think it hurts you guys as much as it helps us. I still think FSU can make a final four run, but these types of games are ones you have to learn from.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
We really needed that one. I don’t think it hurts you guys as much as it helps us. I still think FSU can make a final four run, but these types of games are ones you have to learn from.

Agree that it doesn’t hurt us all that much. Probably eliminates us from 2 seed possibility, although you never know how the committee values conference tourney runs. But yeah, for y’all it likely locked up an NCAAT bid. Congrats!

My bigger issue is that it’s the 3rd time this year we’ve built a big lead and then let the other team come back and win. Our guys just don’t seem to have the killer instinct that Trent Forrest provided.

Agree that it doesn’t hurt us all that much. Probably eliminates us from 2 seed possibility, although you never know how the committee values conference tourney runs. But yeah, for y’all it likely locked up an NCAAT bid. Congrats!

My bigger issue is that it’s the 3rd time this year we’ve built a big lead and then let the other team come back and win. Our guys just don’t seem to have the killer instinct that Trent Forrest provided.

Thanks, but I don’t think that puts us in. Maybe back on the right side of the bubble but definitely can’t afford to lose at Syracuse and against Duke. Win one and I’ll feel okay. Two and I’ll feel pretty good. I guess we’ll see.

Yeah, the killer instinct thing definitely can come back to bite you in the tournament. A reason to be concerned, but FSU is a matchup that I don’t think anyone wants. The depth and size is a lot to go against.

Winning the ACC this year is like winning a tallest midget contest. I can't remember the league ever being worse, and I won't be at all surprised if nobody from the ACC makes it out of the first weekend.

Winning the ACC this year is like winning a tallest midget contest. I can't remember the league ever being worse, and I won't be at all surprised if nobody from the ACC makes it out of the first weekend.

I’d be a bit surprised if zero ACC teams made it to the Sweet 16. Even if it’s just by shear luck of the draw.

I’d be a bit surprised if zero ACC teams made it to the Sweet 16. Even if it’s just by shear luck of the draw.

We'll see. Obviously when the bracket is revealed there could be teams with favorable draws, but you'll never convince me that this year's ACC is comprised of anything more than mediocre and/or flawed basketball teams.

We'll see. Obviously when the bracket is revealed there could be teams with favorable draws, but you'll never convince me that this year's ACC is comprised of anything more than mediocre and/or flawed basketball teams.

And yet we went like 7-1 against the SEC. I’m not saying we are some great league. But despite the mediocre performance, relative to the rest of the landscape we still have some top 25 teams. And you’d expect at least one or two of those teams to win a pair of games.

For example, since the middle of January, Clemson has been the 5th best team according to Torvik.

Gonna depend a lot on matchups, as always. But who knows. I wouldn’t say Louisville is incapable of winning a game or two but we aren’t gonna fare well against strong frontcourts. I still feel like fsu is the best shot, although unc with those bigs could pose problems if given the right draw. If I was a 1 seed I’d be scared to death of unc at 8/9 and I get that unc has lost some head scratchers and aren’t great but they have 4 quality big men and a lot of teams just can’t match up and aren’t used to seeing it.

Not meaning to knock uva we just haven’t played so haven’t seen y’all a ton. Will say the obvious, box scores haven’t been pretty lately.

UVA is mediocre af this year and we're still in 2nd place. Haven't finished below 2nd in ACC since 2016-2017. The ACC is hot garbage this year.

Saddest thing is they cancel on us and they are already our only good win. Well is @ duke a good win?? That’s what I’m saying i have no clue what’s a good win you’d thing being unranked and beating the #16 VT in Louisville would be a good win, but apparently not.

This opponent gotta be ranked 30th at home but only 75th on the road, to count for a big win is trash. 75th isn’t even a tourney team. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Some league is gonna figure out how to keep all there teams in the top 75 and then half the games are quad 1.

Some of the UVA fans on TheSabre are pretty triggered about the unbalanced scheduled this year LOL

15138094_0.jpg

So Va Tech keeps having 'covid issues' and have missed games @FSU, @UNC, @UVA, and home against Louisville and FSU and so are going to be rewarded for not playing games by getting a double bye in the tournament. Doesn't seem right.

So Va Tech keeps having 'covid issues' and have missed games @FSU, @UNC, @UVA, and home against Louisville and FSU and so are going to be rewarded for not playing games by getting a double bye in the tournament. Doesn't seem right.

I'm really curious why VT held their Senior Night against Wake Forest when they still had a home game left vs. Louisville. Then, the Louisville game gets cancelled. I really don't want to accuse teams of cancelling on purpose but this is very suspicious and it's not VT's first cancellation against a top team in the ACC.

Reactions: Villian07
I'm really curious why VT held their Senior Night against Wake Forest when they still had a home game left vs. Louisville. Then, the Louisville game gets cancelled. I really don't want to accuse teams of cancelling on purpose but this is very suspicious and it's not VT's first cancellation against a top team in the ACC.

Is this for real? They held the senior night already, wtf.

Reactions: jhmossy
Oh the makeup game part makes sense at least.

They probly have had a million promos of their schedule with wake as senior day so I can see not wanting to play it. I forgot this was a makeup game. I get nervous when we start missing time lol.

Good to see ya back moss, good luck Saturday, I have a feeling y’all will “get right” against us but we have played much better at home than the road so who knows. Clarke on Jones should be fun. We have nothing for Huff but at least he’s not a bruiser.

Reactions: jhmossy
Oh the makeup game part makes sense at least.

They probly have had a million promos of their schedule with wake as senior day so I can see not wanting to play it. I forgot this was a makeup game. I get nervous when we start missing time lol.

Good to see ya back moss, good luck Saturday, I have a feeling y’all will “get right” against us but we have played much better at home than the road so who knows. Clarke on Jones should be fun. We have nothing for Huff but at least he’s not a bruiser.

We don't know how to exploit matchups so I'm sure it'll be 20 seconds of Clark dribbling and taking a terrible shot or turning the ball over. We have no alphas on the team. We're soft so I'm not very hopeful about the Louisville game or any postseason game. We can absolutely decimate a zone but struggle against physical man defenses, especially if they are disciplined enough to stay on shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT