ADVERTISEMENT

Who will win the National Championship?

Who will win the 2022 National Championship?

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Just curious what the consensus is on Rivals. If the tournament started today, who would you take?

I think there are several teams that could fit into the other category. Possibly Texas Tech, Illinois, Wisconsin, UCLA, Arkansas, Tennessee, Houston, and Providence.

I never pick Duke to win it all in a tournament pool. But, I did here. Just think AJ Griffin is playing at an unbelievable level. His shot is pure and feel like he might be one of the more important players in the NCAA Tournament.

The odds aren't especially high for any team to win it all. Feels like there's not a whole lot of separation between the top 8 teams or so. Just a matter of playing your best brand of basketball.

I never pick Duke to win it all in a tournament pool. But, I did here. Just think AJ Griffin is playing at an unbelievable level. His shot is pure and feel like he might be one of the more important players in the NCAA Tournament.

The odds aren't especially high for any team to win it all. Feels like there's not a whole lot of separation between the top 8 teams or so. Just a matter of playing your best brand of basketball.
homer-thesimpsons.gif

I voted Zona, but truth be told I nearly changed to Kentucky twice. I’d take those two plus the Zags vs the field.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
100% homer answer but Kentucky. NPOY on the roster. Elite offensive team. Can run with anyone or grind it out. Just gotta stay healthy for 6 straight games which hasn't happened all year.

Reactions: JC for 3
Just have a feeling Gonzaga finally breaks thru. Not many people are watching Chet Holmgren play. He can be a really difficult matchup on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: bignish
If you only judge a team by their losses no team looks good though
I saw them earlier in the year and was really impressed. I wasn't the other night. They looked very beatable. They didn't earlier.

totally impossible to pick this year. Flip a coin. put a gun to my head, Id go Arizona then Duke. Duke just because I think they will get a favorable seed and a favorable whistle bc Ks leaving. I cant pick my cats because Cal sucks at coaching, especially in big games no matter how good the talent is. See 2015

I made a case for all of them in my head and a case against them all. I didn't vote anyone. Gosh it's so wide open.

Kansas - The defensive can be good at times but often quits in the 2nd half

Kentucky - All the players are good but they have only 1 great player. If Tyty is off the rest of the year (off being poor shooting/athleticism) . If 100% healthy and clicking, UK is a good pick, I just don't think they win.

Duke - Something just seems missing. They aren't a dominate team and they should be. Mayve PG issues. If they get a good draw they can 100% win it.

Gonzaga - I am not super impressed, if they play Duke again or AZ who matches their size and can rough around timme and holmgren then they lose quick.

Purdue - their D is trash and they don't always play with energy and poise. PG is a question mark

Villanova - This isn't a great Nova team, too much Colin is needed to win. If the rest of these teams get upset then maybe nova can be a 2011 and 2014 Uconn type of team. I don't think so.

Baylor - Too many injuries. If LJ Cryer comes back then they sure can win it all. I don't think he does. KU dominated them at KU and had a 13 point lead until sochan moved to the 5 at Baylor. This is a S16/EE team

Auburn - I do think they peaked early. Could be ignorant but I think they are a 2 horse team and neither are a Guard.

Arizona - All I know is they are massive in size. I don't like their schedule. I hope USC wins and put them as GU's 2 seed

This is how I hope the brackets happen to make the most fun matchups

GU - AZ - Ttech

KU - Purdue - Tennessee

UK - Duke - Wisconsin

Auburn - Baylor - Nova

As a fan I don't blame you a bit. I wish Cal was leaving and UK would get the same treatment. Sadly, as the brother of 3 sisters I learned early in life that girls just seem to get favorable treatment.

Does Kentucky need help from the refs to beat a bunch of girls?

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
No we need a coach that can coach. Only thing Duke has over UK this year is K. other than that we split 10 games 5/5. That's why I picked Duke and not UK in this thread. Arizona, I think beats us both. The girl thing was just all in good fun, no offense. BTW, most of the Raffters hate me because I don't go along with the refs are out to get us crowd. We've had a few bad calls but not enough to complain every time we lose. That said, we all know you guys get favorable seedings and whistles weather you want to acknowledge it or not. Won't be any different this year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Almost feel like Kentucky is due tbh. We've had better teams choke in the tournament (15,19) or been robbed (17) quite a few times since our last title. This group is really good, not great, and I think they have a decent shot as any to win the title.

Almost feel like Kentucky is due tbh. We've had better teams choke in the tournament (15,19) or been robbed (17) quite a few times since our last title. This group is really good, not great, and I think they have a decent shot as any to win the title.
Kentucky is due is the understatement of the decade. I don't think we have had better teams choke in the tournament, our teams don't seem to do that. (other than PJ missing like 12 FT's against Kansas St) Our coach chokes them away, If you, I or my wife coached the 15 team we would be wearing a ring. 10, 15, 17, 19 this year are all great teams that could have or should have won it all. Cal choked the fuvk out of all those teams and he will do it again this year. If we win another title it will be in spite of Cal and he would have to have enough talent to also win the NBA Title. Cal could destroy a steel ball in a sand box.

• Haha
I said Nova over Duke preseason , going to stick with it. If I didn’t , would go with Kentucky.

That said, we all know you guys get favorable seedings and whistles weather you want to acknowledge it or not.

What years do you think we were given favorable seeds?

Off the top of my head, 2016 is the only one that I can think of. But, that team wasn't going very far in the tournament anyway.

They do always seem to come out of nowhere to win it when they aren't even very good in the regular season.

Yeah, it's kind of sickening. Those teams in 2011 and 2014 were alright, but nobody is claiming them as an all-time great. They went 9-9 in Big East play in 2011 (albeit a stacked BE with 3 schools that were 1 seeds). And in 2014, they were a 7 seed in the tournament.

And would it really be that surprising if Dan Hurley sold his soul to the devil for a title run this year? Putting your money on UConn is most likely the safest bet out there.

Reactions: englandnu and CL82
That Kemba Walker stepback against Gary McGhee was nasty, though. One of the more memorable plays from the past decade.

Reactions: CL82
Damn that’s a hell of a move.

And hey, how crazy is it to think that Pitt was really good just 8-10 years ago?

One for the ages. It was at that moment when I think a lot of pundits started to think, "Wow, this UConn team could be really dangerous in the tournament."

The demise of Pitt has been really, really sad. Dixon had them at a Final Four level caliber. I don't know WTH Pitt was thinking when they hired Kevin Stallings. That program got wrecked in two short years. Capel hasn't exactly helped, but yeah, they've completely fallen off the map of relevancy.

Reactions: GE Nole
Yeah, it's kind of sickening. Those teams in 2011 and 2014 were alright, but nobody is claiming them as an all-time great. They went 9-9 in Big East play in 2011 (albeit a stacked BE with 3 schools that were 1 seeds). And in 2014, they were a 7 seed in the tournament.

And would it really be that surprising if Dan Hurley sold his soul to the devil for a title run this year? Putting your money on UConn is most likely the safest bet out there.
Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier can suck a D. They are the reasons UK doesn't have 10 titles. I never want to see a Hurley win another natty either. 😆

most of the Raffters hate me
Same here. Was in good standing until about a month ago, and the board just has this weird, conspiratorial vibe now. I’m done with RR. Even some of the people who used to be decent have turned into little creeps. I’m not likely to return, and in the meantime I won’t miss it over there. They may not miss me either but then again . . . I’m not asking anyway.

What years do you think we were given favorable seeds?

Off the top of my head, 2016 is the only one that I can think of. But, that team wasn't going very far in the tournament anyway.
To be honest I probably shouldn't have mentioned the seeding. With a little research I've found that Duke has had 26 of K's teams with a one or two seed in the tourney. A few of them had 8-9 losses but most probably deserved the seeding they got. No way to be sure because its impossible to recreate the seasons and all the teams that might have gotten the one or two seeds and compare them. UK has 21 one or two seedings in the same period of time. To be honest. i was impressed with Dukes records under K. As a Cat fan I don't really pay all that much attention to Duke other than head to head match ups. So i yield to the favorable seedings as a historical fact. Id say Duke definitely deserves at least a two seed if not a one this year. NOT yielding on the whistle though and I do believe that Duke will be treated with kid gloves and will make the FF.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Same here. Was in good standing until about a month ago, and the board just has this weird, conspiratorial vibe now. I’m done with RR. Even some of the people who used to be decent have turned into little creeps. I’m not likely to return, and in the meantime I won’t miss it over there. They may not miss me either but then again . . . I’m not asking anyway.
I lurk at RR but rarely post. They do have a lot of good threads with good information. But there's just to many jerks that make stupid smart alec remarks for no reason. Ive been there since 07 and only have 1500 post.

To be honest I probably shouldn't have mentioned the seeding. With a little research I've found that Duke has had 26 of K's teams with a one or two seed in the tourney. A few of them had 8-9 losses but most probably deserved the seeding they got. No way to be sure because its impossible to recreate the seasons and all the teams that might have gotten the one or two seeds and compare them. UK has 21 one or two seedings in the same period of time. To be honest. i was impressed with Dukes records under K. As a Cat fan I don't really pay all that much attention to Duke other than head to head match ups. So i yield to the favorable seedings as a historical fact. Id say Duke definitely deserves at least a two seed if not a one this year. NOT yielding on the whistle though and I do believe that Duke will be treated with kid gloves and will make the FF.
I would agree with Duke as a 2. Not a 1 though, mostly because the ACC is garbage and they've lost to a few middle-of-the-pack ACC teams.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
I would agree with Duke as a 2. Not a 1 though, mostly because the ACC is garbage and they've lost to a few middle-of-the-pack ACC teams.

Can you remind me of UK's record vs. the ACC this year?

Can you remind me of UK's record vs. the ACC this year?
1-2 against the top 3 teams in the conference (all NCAAT teams), which has nothing to do with the other 12 teams that are dragging the conference down this year. I didn't say UK deserved a 1 seed either.

ADVERTISEMENT