ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the National POY?

Who will be the 2021-22 National Player of the Year?

• Paolo Banchero, Duke

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Ochai Agbaji, Kansas

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • EJ Liddell, Ohio State

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Kofi Cockburn, Illinois

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Keegan Murray, Iowa

• Johnny Davis, Wisconsin

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jabari Smith, Auburn

• Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Lots of good options. Don't think there's a clear, obvious answer.

Below I've provided the stats of the 9 players in the poll, plus three additional guys that missed the cut. Decided not to include Akinjo in the final 9 because his stats were modest in comparison to the others. Love Jaden Ivey, but feel like he's a longshot to win the Big Ten POY, so winning the NPOY would be really tough. Still a good candidate to be 1st Team All-American, though. And I left out Timme because his rebounding, combined with his defense, leaves a little to be desired.

I also included the combined Quad 1/2 records, as well as the current rankings in the AP, Ken Pom, and NET. What do you think? I left an option for other, as I think there are several other candidates who still might be deserving at this point.

NPOY-Candidates.png

And I didn't include anyone from the same team, as they often cancel each other out. So, no Wendell Moore, Christian Braun, Zach Edey, Trevion Williams, Chet Holmgren, etc.

Also, I'd say Trayce Jackson-Davis is another notable HM for me. Feel like Indiana needs to be a little better before he becomes a legitimate NPOY contender.

Kofi and Oscar are doing work.

For sure. My top three are probably Oscar, Kofi, and Johnny Davis. Not positive on the order, though.

Bennedict Mathurin, Ochai Agbaji, Paolo Banchero, and Jabari Smith are on really good teams. So, if they continue to win, they might have a shot... If Ohio State and Iowa could win a little more (top 10 or 15ish), Liddell and Murray could get into the conversation.

tough pick, but I gotta go with Oscar. Biased aside. Dude's motor is 2nd to none. I still feel like he's scratching the surface of his potential.

I didn't expect this. I actually thought Collins would push him for minutes. I was entirely wrong labeling him as a just a below the rim guy.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Oscar is such a fun player to watch. Maybe the best rebounder since Tim Duncan?
It's hard to keep up with the records he's broken or "1st player to do this in 40 years".

I wish I could pump him up more on here, but I feel ppl would get tired of hearing it.

Dicky V has straight up claimed him NPOY, but he has just one eye. so TIFWIW.

Looking again at those numbers. Johnny Davis probably deserves it.

tough pick.

the thing about Oscar is.., it's kind of weird going into the half and he doesn't have a double double yet.

That's nuts to think that's not hyperbole.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarEagle2727
tough pick, but I gotta go with Oscar. Biased aside. Dude's motor is 2nd to none. I still feel like he's scratching the surface of his potential.

I didn't expect this. I actually thought Collins would push him for minutes. I was entirely wrong labeling him as a just a below the rim guy.
Collins just doesn't have enough experience. Played maybe 4 yrs of basketball, including this year, at a small high school. He's oozing with talent. I've been touting Oscar since the get go. Him going to that kid after the Vandy game and signing the graph before he went to the locker room was awesome. Extremely likeable guy.

Collins just doesn't have enough experience. Played maybe 4 yrs of basketball, including this year, at a small high school. He's oozing with talent. I've been touting Oscar since the get go. Him going to that kid after the Vandy game and signing the graph before he went to the locker room was awesome. Extremely likeable guy.
If counting off the court likeability, Oscar runs away with it. I'm 46 got turned on to sports in early 80's. I've never seen a more likable guy than Oscar.

I might be biased, but Oscar is doing something I don't think I've ever seen in college basketball. His rebounding numbers are actually almost hard to believe. His scoring has just been icing on the cake.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Davis has balled out. I'll be surprised if he can maintain that production. His offensive efficiency has already slid quite a bit recently. His conference stats are significantly worse than how he started the season. He's going to get his shots though, and if he heats back up, he has a chance.

I don't think Wisconsin is as good as their resume, but it's difficult to argue with their success. If Davis and Wisconsin maintain, I'd give it to him.

Davis has balled out. I'll be surprised if he can maintain that production. His offensive efficiency has already slid quite a bit recently. His conference stats are significantly worse than how he started the season. He's going to get his shots though, and if he heats back up, he has a chance.

I don't think Wisconsin is as good as their resume, but it's difficult to argue with their success. If Davis and Wisconsin maintain, I'd give it to him.

@jwardelt

If Davis maintains he'll be in the conversation. If not, he won't be.

As for the 2nd paragraph, always a back handed compliment. Clown.
Don't be angry that it's true. Bunch of mediocre guys playing above their paygrade is not sustainable. Davis, Davison, and then guys that couldn't make the NIT without them. There isn't one statistically relevant player outside of your top 2.

#11 Luck rating in the nation. Eat the truth. Swallow it. Digest it.

Don't be angry that it's true. Bunch of mediocre guys playing above their paygrade is not sustainable. Davis, Davison, and then guys that couldn't make the NIT without them. There isn't one statistically relevant player outside of your top 2.

#11 Luck rating in the nation. Eat the truth. Swallow it. Digest it.
Clown. Lick my taint. You can’t stand the fact we are a good team this year.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Cockburn and Tshiebwe's numbers are ridiculous. And to think, they could've been on the same team. I would have played them both at the same damn time, too. Yeah, there would be some match-up problems on defense, but they would own the paint and nobody else on the court would ever sniff a rebound.

Reactions: Ingersol
Cockburn and Tshiebwe's numbers are ridiculous. And to think, they could've been on the same team. I would have played them both at the same damn time, too. Yeah, there would be some match-up problems on defense, but they would own the paint and nobody else on the court would ever sniff a rebound.
Not sure that would work vs a good 3-pt shooting team.

Clown. Lick my taint. You can’t stand the fact we are a good team this year.
You’re good and much better than anyone expected. You’re also not as good as you’ve played. Illinois will be wiping your shit off their elbow and forearm after the game.

Not sure that would work vs a good 3-pt shooting team.
If they have bigs that can bomb threes it might be a problem. But like I said, if they ain't making them they won't get another chance. Oscar is also a lot more nimble and can guard out to the perimeter. Just plant Kofi's ass in the paint.

Cockburn with a big that can’t shoot failed already at Illinois. It should be fun in theory, but the court is to small for that to work in college.

Cockburn with a big that can’t shoot failed already at Illinois. It should be fun in theory, but the court is to small for that to work in college.
Oscar has expanded his range and has a nice jumper out to about 18 ft. A lot of it also depends on the guards.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You’re good and much better than anyone expected. You’re also not as good as you’ve played. Illinois will be wiping your shit off their elbow and forearm after the game.
Not as good as they’ve played. Clown. We are 14-2 with several good wins. No amount of nerd stats is going to change that. Only one thing matters in the end. Winning. And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing.

Oscar isn't just your typical big bumbling bruiser though (like Kofi is). Dude's motor is non-stop and I think he was clocked as the 2nd fastest player on the team in sprints, which is insane at his size. He gets up and down the court as fast as anyone, including the guards.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Not as good as they’ve played. Clown. We are 14-2 with several good wins. No amount of nerd stats is going to change that. Only one thing matters in the end. Winning. And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing.
Call me clown all you want, but I’m right. That’s why you’re stooping to name calling.

You’ve played to your ceiling. You’ll return to your average soon enough, and your tone will change.

When's the last time Duke had a POY that didn't have the numbers to back it up, dipshit? Zion's the only NPOY in the last 15 years.
Moron boy, they talk about Banchero any chance they get. We’re also mid season and he’s a freshman averaging 18 & 7 on cbb media’s favorite team. I also mentioned Oscar as well who I think will probably win it. Quit being a ruhtard, this isn’t the political thread where you can spew nonsense per usual.

Reactions: RR30
Call me clown all you want, but I’m right. That’s why you’re stooping to name calling.

You’ve played to your ceiling. You’ll return to your average soon enough, and your tone will change.
I call them as I see it. Clown. And when we keep winning you’ll still be a clown. For a fan of a team that has been irrelevant since 2005 you sure run your mouth a lot.

Moron boy, they talk about Banchero any chance they get. We’re also mid season and he’s a freshman averaging 18 & 7 on cbb media’s favorite team. I also mentioned Oscar as well who I think will probably win it. Quit being a ruhtard, this isn’t the political thread where you can spew nonsense per usual.
Oh, they talk about him a lot? Well, there you have it. No Duke player but Zion has ever been talked about in the last 15 years.

Duke has had at least one player with the same or better numbers (and usually a much higher FG%) almost every season going back decades.

Don't get so uptight when people disagree with your dumb takes, lil guy. It's not like it's a new phenomenon for you.

Armando Bacot has numbers that rival the big men on this list. He actually has a higher FG% than them all while averaging 16.6 points and 11 boards a game. Stats that are definitely comparable to Bachero in terms of an in conference option. I think he is worthy if you are going to include some of the names here.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Might come down to the final weeks of the regular season, one of these guys could put their team on their back and clear it up. Way too up for grabs to know right now.

ADVERTISEMENT