ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the 2021-22 National Player of the Year?

Who will be the 2021-22 National Player of the Year?

• Emoni Bates, Memphis, 6'9 Fr

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Paolo Banchero, Duke, 6'10 Fr

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Kofi Cockburn, Illinois, 7'0 Jr

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Hunter Dickinson, Michigan, 7'1 So

• Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga, 7'0 Fr

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Jaden Ivey, Purdue, 6'4 So

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana, 6'9 Jr

• Johnny Juzang, UCLA, 6'7 Jr

• Remy Martin, Kansas, 6'0 Sr

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Drew Timme, Gonzaga, 6'10 Jr

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Alright, so I've previously done polls on all five positions (PG, SG, SF, PF, C). Now, let's focus on the most impactful player in college basketball. Who you got? There are a lot more possibilities, of course. Guys go under the radar all the time. As far as the honorable mention list, let's just say it's anyone on your team that you think got snubbed.

Drew Timme seems like the most likely candidate. Best player on possibly the best team. I'll go out on a limb, however, and say his freshmen teammate will outshine him and receive NPOY honors.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I went with Timme. Dude was a beast last year and Gonzaga is probably the safest bet to be a top 5 team out. Gonzaga is due for a guy to win NPOY and I think Timme could be a legit 22/10/4 type guy.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I voted Timme. Not because I think he's the best player. But because the media shoves its nose up Gonzaga's ass every chance it gets, and they will slobber over this dude all year.

There have been 9 1st Team All-American freshmen since AD left. Zion was the only NPOY, however.

Yeah going against the grain taking Juzang. If they play to a 1 seed, big if, he's gonna have a big year. They return a ton I know it was a miracle run but they could carry it over.

Wondering if the 2 Zag bigs just trade big nights and kind of offset one another.

Yeah going against the grain taking Juzang. If they play to a 1 seed, big if, he's gonna have a big year. They return a ton I know it was a miracle run but they could carry it over.

Wondering if the 2 Zag bigs just trade big nights and kind of offset one another.

Would love to see Juzang win it. Definitely wonder if it was just a hot run and they are just an ok top 25ish team this year.

Without playing one college game. Hmmmmmmmmm.

It happens. Zion was the best player in the country like 2 years ago.

Reactions: GE Nole
Top three are 1. Drew Timme 2. Paolo Banchero and 3. Chet Holmgren

Would have thought Kofi would have at least 1 vote by now.

Voted Timme even though, as others have said, he may not be the best player on his team. Just feels inevitable he’ll get it.

It’s an absolutely loaded year. The CBB draft should be fun.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of Timme, Banchero, Holmgren or Kofi. I think Timme definitely has the inside track as the only returning first team AA.

Zags are going to destroy so many teams the stat sheet gonna be a treasure trove. Probably play a lot of guys to spread it as much as possible.

Zags are going to destroy so many teams the stat sheet gonna be a treasure trove. Probably play a lot of guys to spread it as much as possible.

Having 2 of the top 3-4 players in the country is a ridiculous luxury. They'll steamroll right through most teams. Still wonder how their backcourt will handle things. Nembhard is a monster in the PnR. Just think he'll have to create his shot a little more - and he can't shy away from contact. I only watched the title game once, but it seemed like those Baylor guards really got under his skin. Zags will need him to toughen up a bit if they're going to cut down the nets.

Last year I bet against the Zags players because I figured there were too many mouths to feed. Won't make that mistake again.

I've got Chet and Drew as co-NPOY winners.

Having 2 of the top 3-4 players in the country is a ridiculous luxury. They'll steamroll right through most teams. Still wonder how their backcourt will handle things. Nembhard is a monster in the PnR. Just think he'll have to create his shot a little more - and he can't shy away from contact. I only watched the title game once, but it seemed like those Baylor guards really got under his skin. Zags will need him to toughen up a bit if they're going to cut down the nets.
I think Purdue is a team that actually matches up as well as possible with them although they are clearly #1 heading into the season.

The Zags kryptonite will be quickness.

I do like the Boilers though. No doubt.
Most likely, but it’ll take more than just that.

Baylor was the perfect team to beat Gonzaga last year. They were fast On offense and defense, hit threes, and were dogs on the offensive glass.

Hopefully having Chet and Timme on the floor at the same time improves their defensive rebounding and Chet should add needed rim protection.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Most likely, but it’ll take more than just that.

Baylor was the perfect team to beat Gonzaga last year. They were fast On offense and defense, hit threes, and were dogs on the offensive glass.

Hopefully having Chet and Timme on the floor at the same time improves their defensive rebounding and Chet should add needed rim protection.
Well yeah, it's gonna take a legit effort to beat Zags most nights for sure. I just don't think Purdue is the type of team that presents the biggest challenge to the Zags. And much respect for Purdue just think a team with more quickness at the G position and an up tempo approach would be a bigger issue than what Purdue typically brings to the table.

All ten of the candidates have received at least 1 vote. Woo! Looks like I got the right guys in the poll. Not sure how I feel about Remy Martin being tied for 3rd, however. Guess you could argue Kansas has a legit claim at being the #1 team, and Martin is likely the most valuable player for KU.

All ten of the candidates have received at least 1 vote. Woo! Looks like I got the right guys in the poll. Not sure how I feel about Remy Martin being tied for 3rd, however. Guess you could argue Kansas has a legit claim at being the #1 team, and Martin is likely the most valuable player for KU.
Or there are 5 Kansas fans who voted! :)

Reactions: dukedevilz
The Michigan big man is a solid player and maybe he does get slighted nationally. I agree there is hype and upside being thrown around at some of the others, the Chet guy hasn't played a game for ex.

Dickinson might be able to get better too. Nobody seems to talk about that. 14&7 60% from the floor he could easily improve, though I'm unsure how much a few of the departed players leaving impact him, one way or the other.

Timme warrants being the chalk going into it because he's nearly 20&7 and 65%, and maybe playing on the preseason #1 and prior year runner-up doesn't hurt either.

ADVERTISEMENT