ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the better coach, Coach K or Dean Smith?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
First of all, both were/are great coaches, but who was the best or it can it not be judged because of different eras? Did Dean Smith build the ACC to super power or was it already there? Did coach K benefit from Smith's work?

If you could hire the young version of each, which would you hire to lead your team for decades to come and why?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
There is no argument to be had here - it's Coach K in a landslide. (and I can't stand Duke)

The sport literally had to adjudicate and create new rules to prevent the game of basketball being ruined by fake Dean Smith's despicable four corners offense. In the field of college basketball, no coach ever done less with more than did Dean Smith.

Whats more, his entire "Carolina Way" was nothing but a facade. Totally fake.

DES easily.

His all time winning % is higher than K and this was against much tougher opponents.

do you think CBB talent was better or worse in the 60s, 70s and 80s or 80s, 90’s and 2000s.? Was it harder to win in the ACC in 1985 or 2010?

none of this is K’s fault, but it doesn’t change anything.

There is no argument to be had here - it's Coach K in a landslide. (and I can't stand Duke)

The sport literally had to adjudicate and create new rules to prevent the game of basketball being ruined by fake Dean Smith's despicable four corners offense. In the field of college basketball, no coach ever done less with more than did Dean Smith.

Whats more, his entire "Carolina Way" was nothing but a facade. Totally fake.
You missed the conclusion of the SOS thread. It ended 8 pages and locked.

DES easily.

His all time winning % is higher than K and this was against much tougher opponents.

do you think CBB talent was better or worse in the 60s, 70s and 80s or 80s, 90’s and 2000s.? Was it harder to win in the ACC in 1985 or 2010?

none of this is K’s fault, but it doesn’t change anything.
Much tougher opponents? For crying out loud, SMith lost to Indiana, with Jordan, Perkins, Smith and Daugherty....IU was led by Steve Alford....the other guys were Marty Simmons, Uwe Blab, Mike Giomi and Dan Dakich.

Talent wise? I mean how many 6'9" PG's do you recall from the 60's,70's, 80's and 90's? Or 6'11" dudes, handling the ball like guards?

1985 ACC, or 2010 ACC?

Who knows-----1985, 5 teams made the NCAAT---3 made Reg finals. 2010, 6 teams made the NCAAT--only one made a regional final---but that one, won the National title.

I'd argue the K has coached in a much tougher ACC...Especially with the additions of Louisville, Syracuse, FSU and Notre Dame.....

In K's tenure, UL, MD, UNC and Virginia have won basketball titles.
In Smiths tenure----NC State won a title.

Both have lost with monster teams----But I'd argue, Smith has done so more often. Not to mention, the game has changed--- a lot. Most importantly, the shot clock.

Coach SMith was a terrific coach. But like one poster said---I'd take Roy over Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT