ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Gonzaga signature win to warrant being ranked #1?

Which one could in the past few years? That team was stacked, and should have won it all. Just because they under achieved doesn’t mean there were 4 better teams than them, there weren’t, they just got out coached. And couldn’t hit anything from deep. That team was more talented than most of the title teams this decade.

2009 Kentucky was stacked. Out in the elite 8. Who could handle a team like that in today’s field?

College basketball went to shit when the nba quit letting kids go pro out of school. Of course it’s nice to get to see the zions and durants and ADs, but now all the media focus is on OaDs so you have so many kids who are dead set on leaving after a year regardless, it’s just watered down the sport.

No more getting a stud frosh and watching him develop into a college superstar. He’s gonna be out the door, and sometimes they don’t even do a whole lot in college.

Reactions: asindc
2009 Kentucky was stacked. Out in the elite 8. Who could handle a team like that in today’s field?

Duke with Zion was just as stacked two years ago and they lost in the Elite 8 too. You want to say college basketball is a worse product right now than a decade ago? I wouldn't disagree too much but using a one off team that blew it isn't a good example.

Nobody should but it can always happen in a 1 game scenario. I don't agree with him but in the beginning of the season Bob Huggins said this was his most talented team since that one, who knocked off that 2009 Kentucky team. Obviously we weren't nearly talented as them but we had the perfect combination of experience, skill and toughness.

Why is everyone on this board all of a sudden going by Kenpom? How can anyone look at some of these side by side team comparisons and honestly say that it's the most accurate this season? This is one of the few years where the ap/coaches polls make a lot more sense and it's not even close..

You are using the same biased human thought processes to conclude the AP rankings are better that those voters used to create them in the first place.

The Gonzaga-UVA game was like watching UConn play USF in women's basketball. We didn't belong on the same floor as them.
Miss ya bud. Glad you’re posting again, haven’t posted much myself either. About to make a big move here in a couple months with work.

Reactions: jhmossy
Lol @ playing in a league with Santa Clara, San Francisco and Pepperdine

LOL @ Illinois being 40 points better than you from mid-first half til garbage time, without their star.

Are you really still comparing Michigan to Gonzaga?

LOL @ Illinois being 40 points better than you from mid-first half til garbage time, without their star.

Are you really still comparing Michigan to Gonzaga?

Comparing a top 5 team to Pepperdine?

lol

Lol @ playing in a league with Santa Clara, San Francisco and Pepperdine
Way to deflect. I didn't even mention Gonzaga. Michigan got blown out twice. Once to a shitty team, once at home to a good team that didn't have one of it's two best players.

Your claim for Michigan as the nation's top team suffered another setback today.

Playing in the best conference in college basketball is a grind.

Must be nice playing Pepperdine and Santa Clara. Looking at you Gonzaga

Reactions: hawkedoff

So we really think that Gonzaga would get blown out by a team with a losing record, get annihilated by a team w/out their All American, and lose to an NIT team? Laughing

Reactions: UTPeschel

The Zags play well in the NCAAT despite being in a shitty conference so I don't get your point. They're destroying these teams, not playing them close.

2015 Gonzaga: Elite 8
2016 Gonzaga: Sweet 16
2017 Gonzaga: Title Game
2018 Gonzaga: Sweet 16
2019 Gonzaga: Elite 8

Show me some PAWG pics Ted, you suck at college basketball.

Take Gonzaga out of the equation, how do you see Michigan as being better than Baylor? Baylor's only loss was to a solid Kansas team, and that was when Baylor was returning from a Covid pause. Even Juwan Howard is laughing at your inane position.

With all the Blue Bloods and wanna be Blue Bloods tanking this year, and considering the conference that Gonzaga is in, If they go undefeated will it be legit?

yes...and not all blue bloods are tanking though this is a down year for KU

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Duke with Zion was just as stacked two years ago and they lost in the Elite 8 too. You want to say college basketball is a worse product right now than a decade ago? I wouldn't disagree too much but using a one off team that blew it isn't a good example.
They were not. They had zero inside presence. They had 3 studs and Reddish struggled for a lot of the season.

That is because it is a combination of tackle football and rec basketball.

With all the Blue Bloods and wanna be Blue Bloods tanking this year, and considering the conference that Gonzaga is in, If they go undefeated will it be legit?

uhm, if they go undefeated that means they will have wins over..

Kansas
WVA
Iowa
Virginia
Auburn

Not to mention all the teams they would have to beat to get the national championship.

Is this a serious question??

It’s not a one off. I gave various examples of how stacked teams were back then compared to now. That Duke team seems like more of an outlier than that UK team honestly.

uhm, if they go undefeated that means they will have wins over..

Kansas
WVA
Iowa
Virginia
Auburn

Not to mention all the teams they would have to beat to get the national championship.

Is this a serious question??
Yeah its a serious question. I cant count the times UK has had great teams and some middle of the road conference team beats them at their place on cold snowy night when UK was picked to win by 18. If Gonzaga played in any of the top 6 Conferences no way they would be undefeated

Yeah its a serious question. I cant count the times UK has had great teams and some middle of the road conference team beats them at their place on cold snowy night when UK was picked to win by 18. If Gonzaga played in any of the top 6 Conferences no way they would be undefeated

counterpoint: If those Kentucky teams were really great they wouldn't have lost to those middle of the road SEC teams. The one great team Kentucky had they managed to go undefeated in the SEC, but couldn't handle an unranked Indiana in December. Also couldn't handle unranked Vandy in the conference tourney (although I doubt KY cared about that game). That KY team for all its great conference schedule, only played 6 ranked teams all year (3x Florida). Gonzaga has played 4.

I think the debate is ...UK is playing "middling' programs like Vandy every week or every other week once conference play starts and Gonzaga just isn't playing any "middling" teams during the same timeframe. The SEC isn't tough most years but middle of the road programs can rise to knock off chalk whereas if you're Gonzaga you got to work pretty hard to lose to Loyola Marymount or Santa Clara. Just a reference to a standard schedule.

I would put 0 asterisk by the title winner this year unless there are forfeits due to COVID. Gonzaga is really good. Will be interesting to see if they can take the crown as the chalk, or at least get to Baylor and lose to them.

Reactions: duckboy33
They had quality wins against Kansas, West Virginia, Virginia and Iowa, and other than WVU the other 3 all lost by double digits. These ain’t just quality wins, they are comprehensive and dominant victories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT