ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Gonzaga signature win to warrant being ranked #1?

sddefault.jpg

They've beat 18 Kansas, 5 Iowa, 19 West Virginia and 15 Virginia... (all Kenpom ratings) All double digit wins but the WVU game. No question Michigan's schedule is much tougher, but I wouldn't say Gonzaga doesn't deserve to be #1.

Why is everyone on this board all of a sudden going by Kenpom? How can anyone look at some of these side by side team comparisons and honestly say that it's the most accurate this season? This is one of the few years where the ap/coaches polls make a lot more sense and it's not even close..

They've beat 18 Kansas, 5 Iowa, 19 West Virginia and 15 Virginia... (all Kenpom ratings) All double digit wins but the WVU game. No question Michigan's schedule is much tougher, but I wouldn't say Gonzaga doesn't deserve to be #1.

And two double-digit wins over #22 BYU. 6-0 against KenPom top 25 teams ain't too shabby.

And two double-digit wins over #22 BYU. 6-0 against KenPom top 25 teams ain't too shabby.

Their schedule is nowhere near as difficult as Michigan's but people value being undefeated. It really doesn't make a huge difference. Both are locks to be #1 seeds.

Reactions: Villian07
nowhere near as difficult as Michigan's but people value being undefeated. It really doesn't make a huge difference. Both are locks to be #1 seeds.

Right. Gonzaga's schedule is clearly nowhere near the difficulty level of Michigan. Being the overall #1 seed might be more significant this year, however. If we believe the gap between Gonzaga, Michigan, and Baylor is substantial - that would mean Gonzaga wouldn't have to face either of those two teams until the championship game.

Reactions: duckboy33
Right. Gonzaga's schedule is clearly nowhere near the difficulty level of Michigan. Being the overall #1 seed might be more significant this year, however. If we believe the gap between Gonzaga, Michigan, and Baylor is substantial - that would mean Gonzaga wouldn't have to face either of those two teams until the championship game.

That's true. But we don't often see chalk until the Final Four. I think being the #1 overall seed is nice but not that significant.

That's true. But we don't often see chalk until the Final Four. I think being the #1 overall seed is nice but not that significant.

It was significant in 2015 for Wisconsin. They were the 4th #1 seed, and they had to beat undefeated Kentucky, and then Duke.

Reactions: duckboy33
I would prefer Iowa not have to face any of those teams until the championship game, either.

In fact, it wouldn't break my heart if they didn't even make the Final Four with Iowa...........

I would prefer Iowa not have to face any of those teams until the championship game, either.

In fact, it wouldn't break my heart if they didn't even make the Final Four with Iowa...........

More than likely you would have to beat one of them to advance to the Final Four. 1 seeds make it to the Elite Eight almost 70% of the time, and there's a noticeable gap between those three schools and the rest of college basketball. Would be hard to avoid them. But, who knows? Maybe you guys win out and earn the final 1 seed yourselves.

I'm not sure why everyone is praising the Big 10 so much. Your entire conference's best OOC win is Loyola Chicago. Your conference didn't prove themselves to be world beaters in OOC. In fact you lost to every good team you played. Now all of a sudden yall are elite because you beat up on each other?

Look at the wins that the Big 12 has in OOC, way more impressive and they played more quality OOC teams too.

Reactions: Big ol arms
More than likely you would have to beat one of them to advance to the Final Four. 1 seeds make it to the Elite Eight almost 70% of the time, and there's a noticeable gap between those three schools and the rest of college basketball. Would be hard to avoid them. But, who knows? Maybe you guys win out and earn the final 1 seed yourselves.
Well, see if you can get Coach K to use his influence to help make that happen...... :D

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'm not sure why everyone is praising the Big 10 so much. Your entire conference's best OOC win is Loyola Chicago. Your conference didn't prove themselves to be world beaters in OOC. In fact you lost to every good team you played. Now all of a sudden yall are elite because you beat up on each other?

Look at the wins that the Big 12 has in OOC, way more impressive and they played more quality OOC teams too.
B12 lost to the SEC in their challenge. Baylor beat Illinois in Non Conference play. What are the B12's other marquee wins?

Is Loyola really their best OOC win? Now I see why they want to prop them up.

But yeah....wash, rinse, repeat every year. Big 10 gauntlet, blah blah....

How many more impressive wins do you think Michigan has?

Fwiw, Michigan's non-conference was about as challenging as the typical out-of-conference 11th game of an SEC football schedule............

Michigan doesn’t need a strong out of conference win when they play in the best conference in college basketball

Big Ten has 4 teams in top 10

Big Ten > ACC w/o Notre Dame > Big 12 > ACC w/Notre Dame

SmokinSmile

I know Kansas beat Creighton which is still better than what the big 10 did.

Baylor whipped Illinois, Oklahoma beat Bama, OSU beat Arkansas.

The top teams only lost to quality teams like Gonzaga, Houston, Tennessee, Florida.

Still waiting on Gonzaga impressive wins?

Being 24-0 when many teams around the country have not even played 24 games.
So far, Gonzaga has 24 "impressive" wins.

Gonzaga has also been preseason #1 and have been #1 every week since the season began.
The only other team to rival them is #3 Baylor who have been #2 all season until this last week.

Gonzaga's signature wins still in the current top25:
#6 West Virginia (B12), #13 Kansas(B12)
#5 Iowa (B10)
#21 Virginia (ACC)

Being 24-0 when many teams around the country have not even played 24 games.
So far, Gonzaga has 24 "impressive" wins.

Gonzaga has also been preseason #1 and have been #1 every week since the season began.
The only other team to rival them is #3 Baylor who have been #2 all season until this last week.

Gonzaga's signature wins still in the current top25:
#6 West Virginia (B12), #13 Kansas(B12)
#5 Iowa (B10)
#21 Virginia (ACC)

Silly media rankings don’t impress me. Kansas is dog shit this year and Michigan already went in dry on Iowa

Let’s take a look at the teams who Gonzaga play in conference.....

Pepperdine

San Francisco

Loyola

Pacific

Portland

Santa Clara

Lol

Reactions: 954gator
It’s not only who they beat OOC, it’s how they looked doing it. If you watched any of the games you would probably have a better understanding than just looking at their schedule.

Silly media rankings don’t impress me. Kansas is dog shit this year and Michigan already went in dry on Iowa

Let’s take a look at the teams who Gonzaga play in conference.....

Pepperdine

San Francisco

Loyola

Pacific

Portland

Santa Clara

Lol

And little Minny went in dry on Michigan 8 games ago.

Silly media rankings don’t impress me.

Then by your logic, the four Big10 teams (including Michigan) ranked in the top 10
are also 'silly'/overrated in where they are currently being ranked!

It’s not only who they beat OOC, it’s how they looked doing it. If you watched any of the games you would probably have a better understanding than just looking at their schedule.
Agreed. Like how Illinois looked vs Baylor. Or how Ohio State looked pretty similar to UCLA, or how Oakland took Michigan to OT.

Then by your logic, the four Big10 teams (including Michigan) ranked in the top 10
are also 'silly'/overrated in where they are currently being ranked!

Some teams pass the eye test and some don’t.

I’m honestly embarrassed for Gonzaga after seeing who they play in conference.

We have played them both and right now, Gonzaga is the best team in the country. And UM beating an Illini team without Ayo won't change my opinion and neither will beating up on MSU.

If UM beat IL with Ayo tonight, then yes. The win is meaningless now, thanks to the Spartan thuggery. Lol

But it's really a draw. Both teams are so similar.

Some teams pass the eye test and some don’t.

I’m honestly embarrassed for Gonzaga after seeing who they play in conference.

That’s the thing, everyone who thinks Gonzaga is deserved of number 1 is bc they pass the eye test. They have 3 probable nba players, 4 maybe counting ajaya(I know sp????)

And why? They’ve played in the same conference forever, and they didn’t exactly bust on the scene this season. They’ve done everything a program can besides win it all.

That’s the thing, everyone who thinks Gonzaga is deserved of number 1 is bc they pass the eye test. They have 3 probable nba players, 4 maybe counting ajaya(I know sp????)

And why? They’ve played in the same conference forever, and they didn’t exactly bust on the scene this season. They’ve done everything a program can besides win it all.

Everyone looks like NBA players when you play in that conference

ADVERTISEMENT