ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think will win the title?

Who wins?

• Total voters
I picked Duke over Michigan in my bracket, so I'm sticking to that.

Until they lose I will always pick Kansas.
Last night I started the game rooting against Kansas and during the course of the game I switched because if Clemson got lucky and won they would capitulate the very next game.

Kansas though can't average over forty percent from three for three more games, so I don't know how long their luck will hold out. Kansas' maturity may actually help them overcome Duke's freshmen.

I am conflicted. Of course my brackets are all scratched out anyway.

I knew about Rupp, didn’t know Cal was there.
3c9c0370ce256e352925bd23fa33b3d1.jpg

He still speaks early of KU.They gave him his first championship.
He wasn’t there during any national championships but the legend of calimari began there. Is it a coincidence that Danny Manning’s family moved to Lawrence from North Carolina while John Calipari was there? Ultimately leading to Manning’s commitment to the Jayhawks? I dunno. But I thank him for that. ;)

Ted Owens let Calipari volunteer as volunteer coach.

Q. Yeah. He has a question for you. He has a theory about how you got your bed from Allen Fieldhouse.

JOHN CALIPARI: There’s some stories. I don’t have time. I don’t like to filibuster. (Laughter).

But I was a volunteer assistant, and he watched me work camp, Coach Owens. And he said, I want you to join my staff, and I said, what position? He said, I’d like you to be a volunteer. And I said, well, how much does a volunteer make?

I lived with Dolph Carroll, who was the part-time coach. We didn’t have furniture because we had a choice between ESPN or furniture, and we chose ESPN. We sat on pillows.

I worked with the Sinclairs and served food. Would you like peas or corn? And I’d serve them, and I’d say, Tad Boyle, let’s work on some shooting. And Tad and Jeff Dishman and the guy that we played one-on-one at the time, I was 24, I killed him. Couldn’t play me. Turge came later. He was too small. I posted him up.

But it was basketball. It was a great time of my life. I met my wife. She worked at the University of Kansas at the time. And no worries, no money, nothing except basketball, and it was a great time. And a true gentleman in Ted Owens.

Later Larry Brown asked me to come back and be on his staff as a part-time assistant. So I kind of moved up the ladder a little bit. But those were great times. Those were great times. I mean, I -- you’re just there to help everybody. It’s not on you.

Like I’m at Kentucky, it’s not really on me. I wear this coat 24/7. There, you’re a young guy trying to figure it out, how do I do this? I just got lucky. Ted Owens and Larry Brown and the guys I worked for and later went to Pitt with Roy and Paul Evans, and I’ve been blessed.

Q. You --

JOHN CALIPARI: I’ll tell you the bed thing because I couldn’t afford a bed, and I’ll tell you later. That’s one of my sins. (Laughter).

I’ll tell you what it was. You know the Day After, the movie? The triage was Allen Fieldhouse. I had no bed. So they had all these cots in Allen Fieldhouse. So Dolph and I were leaving one day, and I saw a double-wide cot. It was that wide. And we went back that night, and I scooped up that cot, and that was my bed. I had to put a piece of plywood underneath it, but that was my bed. That’s how I had a bed. It was a great time. Think about that, I slept on a cot for a year. Two years.

Reactions: KisteK
You know the Day After, the movie? The triage was Allen Fieldhouse.
This movie he’s talking about is the United States getting into a nuclear war with Russia. It was a made for TV movie that scared the shit out of America when it came out. The scene when the nukes launch happens in Lawrence during a KU football game. The sirens go off, everybody gets quiet and then the camera is pointed at campus and you start seeing missles come out of the ground. They’re coming out of AFH, the dorms, various buildings and parks on campus. It’s pretty funny to watch with the special effects of that era. Never knew that in my time there I was walking around just a few feet above the worlds most powerful and dangerous weapon.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Kansas, Duke or Nova. Kansas/Duke will be a FF caliber game.
I wouldn' t overlook UM If they get there.

Reverse Jinx? Haven't seen the spread but gotta assume Kansas will be the favorite Sunday.

HA! No reverse jinx here. Kansas has really gelled as of late, but I was one of the non-believers pre-early Feb. I think this team has gone beyond their capabilities, and has gotten incredibly fortunate in the tourney (as have other regions/teams). Before brackets were announced, I didn't want to see Nova, Duke, Michigan State or Michigan in our region..

I have been pretty open in claiming this team would exceed my expectations with a S16 berth (Hello, E8!) and I felt they really pulled together in winning both Big XII titles and keeping that streak alive.

Agree with duke nova or Kansas.

I'd lean towards nova. They're cold blooded

Kansas is truly unique. Crazy how many basketball greats are linked to that school.
It all started at Kansas. Say what you will about our early flame outs in the tourney (and I’d agree with most of it), we should have more FF’s, and championships, I know. However, we stake claim to a lot of HOF coaches, including this guy....
naismith_james.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT