ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your 1 and 2 seeds?

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Not what I expect the committee to do per se, but how I would seed teams based on what the criteria is supposed to be.

1 seeds
Virginia
Villanova
Kansas
UNC

2 seeds
Xavier
Duke
Tennessee

Final 2 seed is down to Wichita State, Auburn, Purdue, Cinci, Clemson, and Michigan I think.

Would choose Wichita if they win their conf tournament or just go with Clemson due to SOS and # of quality wins.

Last edited:
Not what I expect the committee to do per se, but how I would seed teams based on what the criteria is supposed to be.

1 seeds
Virginia
Villanova
Kansas
UNC

2 seeds
Xavier
Duke
Tennessee

Final 2 seed is down to Wichita State, Auburn, Purdue, Cinci, Clemson, and Michigan I think.

Would choose Wichita if they win their conf tournament or just go with Clemson due to SOS and # of quality wins.

I have an impossible time putting a 9 loss, likely 10 loss UNC team as a 1 seed. That would have to be completely unheard of, right? Even as a two seed.

I have an impossible time putting a 9 loss, likely 10 loss UNC team as a 1 seed. That would have to be completely unheard of, right? Even as a two seed.

The loss to Wofford will hurt, but they currently have the #1 SOS, that will help bump them up a tad. Kansas is the one i have a problem seeing but they too have the 7th hardest SOS but no top 10 KP wins, none. Their best wins are WV twice, TT, and UK. If i remember from years past the committee values SOS when it comes to breaking a tie or moving a team up or down a line. The B1G really fvcked MSU, OSU, and Purdue.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
If UNC beats uva you could make a strong case for them as a 1 based on SOS and who they beat. They’d have an absurd collection of high end wins, many of them away from home. They’d potentially have 7 wins over top 4 seeds. But at the end of the day I just don’t see a 9 loss team that lost to Wofford and went 11-7, T-3 in conference getting on the top line.

Reactions: conwaytitty
Looks like UNC is going to pass Duke for Charlotte the first two rounds. Not that I mind, means Duke is going to be at Nashville......

Looking at the metrics, I think we are pretty well assured of the 1 seeds:
Virginia
Villanova
Xavier
Kansas

IMO Duke was the last remaining 1 seed challenger and they lost last night. Looking at metrics, I see the 2's right now being:

Duke
Cincinnati
UNC
Purdue

The only team I think can challenge for the 2 (and maybe bump Purdue) is Tennessee. Right now, we have better metrics but if they beat Arkansas and Kentucky (for the 3rd time), it will be really close.

Clemson and Auburn blew their opportunities and I think MSU just has too thin of a resume.

People are putting too much on the quadrant shit. MSU's 2 best wins are better than Purdue's, Purdue's 2 worst losses are much worse than MSU's. Purdue's schedule only a little better. I just don't see it.

Reactions: SNU0821
Who have they beaten? Wins against two projected tourney. TWO! Thats why. They havent played close to their potential either. If they got it going, they will have a chance but thats a big iff. Their chemistry is questionable.

True but their worst loss is @OSU. A lot of the teams around them have much worse losses, just depends on what the committee prioritizes this year.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
Well are you asking who are the #1s or who should be? If it’s the latter please state your criteria. Because if it’s the former it is all about quadrant wins and losses don’t really matter.

Kansas has a ton of quadrant 1 wins. I’m not convinced at all this is the formula we should use but this is the world we are currently living in

The loss to Wofford will hurt, but they currently have the #1 SOS, that will help bump them up a tad. Kansas is the one i have a problem seeing but they too have the 7th hardest SOS but no top 10 KP wins, none. Their best wins are WV twice, TT, and UK. If i remember from years past the committee values SOS when it comes to breaking a tie or moving a team up or down a line. The B1G really fvcked MSU, OSU, and Purdue.

You can have the #1 SOS, that's all well and good, but there has to be a line drawn. 10 losses (I'm going to assume that they lose to UVA until they don't) is far, far, far too many.

You CAN NOT reward a team with the best gift in the tournament after losing 30% of the games on their schedule.

It's nuts.

UNC has the 1st ranked SOS to go with 10 losses, they're projected to get a 1 seed.
Oklahoma has the 2nd ranked SOS to go with 14 losses, they're projected to miss the tournament completely. Now, I understand it comes down to who you beat and who you lose to, but to me? To me, there's no way that a 4 game difference in losses is the difference in being a 1 seed, and missing the tournament entirely when you schedule with that difficulty.

You can have the #1 SOS, that's all well and good, but there has to be a line drawn. 10 losses (I'm going to assume that they lose to UVA until they don't) is far, far, far too many.

You CAN NOT reward a team with the best gift in the tournament after losing 30% of the games on their schedule.

It's nuts.

UNC has the 1st ranked SOS to go with 10 losses, they're projected to get a 1 seed.
Oklahoma has the 2nd ranked SOS to go with 14 losses, they're projected to miss the tournament completely. Now, I understand it comes down to who you beat and who you lose to, but to me? To me, there's no way that a 4 game difference in losses is the difference in being a 1 seed, and missing the tournament entirely when you schedule with that difficulty.

I don’t think anyone would argue that UNC is a 1 if they lose tonight. The debate would be if they win, do they pass Xavier or possibly Kansas if they lose. If Kansas lost they would have 8 losses.

Reactions: 829305
I don’t think anyone would argue that UNC is a 1 if they lose tonight. The debate would be if they win, do they pass Xavier or possibly Kansas if they lose. If Kansas lost they would have 8 losses.

If we do lose are we going to play in Charlotte as a 2 seed and Duke get's shipped to Nashville?

It's nuts.

Don't worry I agree but like was said tonight has a lot to do with it. I think it's a fun year for the selection show. So many teams are right there with different strengths.

I personally dont feel teams with bad SOS should be rewarded nor do I thi k teams with hard SOS should be docked for having more losses.

If Michigan State played UNC's schedule, its safe to assume they wouldnt be 29-4 considering theyre 2-4 vs tournament teams and 27-0 vs non tournament teams and UNC has played something like 15 games against tournament teams.

Had UNC played Michigan States schedule, they very likely would be 29-4 or something close to that.

SOS is a helluva drug.

its tough to say.

I think it will end up being

Virginia
Nova
Kansas
UNC

Xavier
Duke
Cincy
Tennessee

Reactions: Mgkcbb
My bad. A team that was 3rd in their conference and 6th seed in their own conference tourney could be a 1 seed? Smh

Reactions: pisgah101
People are putting too much on the quadrant shit. MSU's 2 best wins are better than Purdue's, Purdue's 2 worst losses are much worse than MSU's. Purdue's schedule only a little better. I just don't see it.
How so? Our two best wins are vs the now #7 ranked team. MSU's are vs the now ranked #10 and 12.

True but their worst loss is @OSU. A lot of the teams around them have much worse losses, just depends on what the committee prioritizes this year.
Purdue's worst loss is still considered tier 1. I don't like the RPI system as much as the next guy, but if this is what the committee uses then Purdue's resume is much better than MSU's.

its tough to say.

I think it will end up being

Virginia
Nova
Kansas
UNC

Xavier
Duke
Cincy
Tennessee
Flip flop Xavier and UNC and Purdue and Cincy are really close, but you have to remember that in the initial top 16 release Purdue was a 1 seed. They've since lost 2 tier 1 games. Pretty much everyone has lost 1 game during that time and most have lost 2. I'd be shocked if they weren't a 2 seed.

Last edited:
East
Villanova
North Carolina

South
Virginia
Cincinnati

Midwest
Kansas
Michigan St.

West
Xavier
Duke
I'd be shocked if that happened. MSU doesn't have the resume's per the RPI system the committee is depending on...

Last edited:
One thing I'll be interested to see is how the committee handles home losses. Does it factor in much? Kansas for example has 4 losses at home. Could that keep them off the 1 line? Do they even consider that much? I thought I remembered hearing a few years back that Purdue was kept off the 3 line because they had 1 home loss.

One thing I'll be interested to see is how the committee handles home losses. Does it factor in much? Kansas for example has 4 losses at home. Could that keep them off the 1 line? Do they even consider that much? I thought I remembered hearing a few years back that Purdue was kept off the 3 line because they had 1 home loss.

It seems they've really gone away from home wins having much impact. Really neutral and road wins are a better gauge of how a team performs in tournament situations. So home wins and losses don't really factor as much.

If the Vols can beat UK, I think we have an argument for a #2 Seed.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT