ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the next Gators coach?

Leak's#1

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2020
I’ve seen this movie before....

tons of transfers, fanbase hates the coach.... coach is secretly trying to leave.
Shark incident and then fake death threats etc etc

MW went to 4 NCAA’s in a row (winning a round each time) and getting to an ELITE8.... gotta be an easy job.

odd list of candidates this year

I think Florida is actually contented with Mike White, his regular season record has been meh but he does seem to take them at least into the round of 32 in the March Madness. At the very least, he aint a terrible tournament coach, they will give him a bit more time.

Hard to fire a guy who had his best player down early in the year with a season ending injury, during the covid year. Multiple guys out during the season. Gets them in the Tourney and a win. Might be his best coaching job to date.

The question is who is on the short list and interested? Is that replacement for sure better than what you currently have down @ FLA?

It's pretty easy to go from making tournaments as a non threat to being completely garbage. Especially with roster musical chairs.

Who is gonna be next up? I thought I saw Kenny Payne somewhere did that fall apart?

No idea, I haven't heard anything. It's DePaul, we're gonna wait till all the good candidates have taken jobs and then we'll shop off the scrap heap.

Who's Kenny Payne? I've heard that name, but have no idea who that is.

Kenny Payne is former Louisville player who was an assistant for UK under Calipari until he left to go work for the Knicks is the summary.

I think Florida is actually contented with Mike White, his regular season record has been meh but he does seem to take them at least into the round of 32 in the March Madness. At the very least, he aint a terrible tournament coach, they will give him a bit more time.

He’s underachieved relative to the talent they have had there. Pretty sure they have had more blue chips than FSU every season he’s been there, with multiple 5 stars on some teams. And yet they haven’t beaten FSU since he’s been there and they haven’t fared much better against Tennessee and UK.

But I’m not complaining with them keeping him.

Reactions: Disco Hat
Mike White has done a solid job. His problem is he isn't Billy Donovan. You follow a legend, you'll get compared to him. It will be like following Nick Saban at Bama. Good luck.

Yea we make the tournament nearly every time, but look how many weeks we have been in the top 25 under White. It’s an insanely low number.

His teams lack consistency and I don’t know why.

They aren’t consistent at all, but when you aren’t consistent every single year it says something. Every year it is beat the hell out of a top 10 team at home, win a surprising road game, lose to the rest of the good teams, and go about .600 against the teams seeded 6-14 in the SEC tournament including dropping one or two horrible home games. I think his lack of emotion creates a team excitement issue and he plays too scared when we have a lead. I would KILL to have a player on our team that plays with emotion every night again

They aren’t consistent at all, but when you aren’t consistent every single year it says something. Every year it is beat the hell out of a top 10 team at home, win a surprising road game, lose to the rest of the good teams, and go about .600 against the teams seeded 6-14 in the SEC tournament including dropping one or two horrible home games. I think his lack of emotion creates a team excitement issue and he plays too scared when we have a lead. I would KILL to have a player on our team that plays with emotion every night again

Not only is there little emotion, there just seems to be no real system. I spoke with Mike a couple times when he was at La Tech and those teams had a culture and system that they embraced. He recruited to it and they stuck with it.

At UF, it seems to change game to game, week to week. And part of me wonders if it’s because of all the transfers. Hard to get guys who feel totally comfortable in a defined system, and also emotionally invested in the culture of the program, when they are on campus for 1-2 years after being somewhere else for 2-3 years. He’s got a bunch of mercenaries.

Yea we make the tournament nearly every time, but look how many weeks we have been in the top 25 under White. It’s an insanely low number.

But he does make it to the round of 32 regularly, with a trip to elite 8. If you ignore the regular season performance and just pay attention to his March record, its quite decent for any non-blue blood programs.

Not only is there little emotion, there just seems to be no real system. I spoke with Mike a couple times when he was at La Tech and those teams had a culture and system that they embraced. He recruited to it and they stuck with it.

At UF, it seems to change game to game, week to week. And part of me wonders if it’s because of all the transfers. Hard to get guys who feel totally comfortable in a defined system, and also emotionally invested in the culture of the program, when they are on campus for 1-2 years after being somewhere else for 2-3 years. He’s got a bunch of mercenaries.

Sounds like White just needs to get back to what made UF want to hire him to begin with.

He’s not even Lon Kruger.

Who is?

Talking about a coach who was considered a Top 5 offensive coach in college basketball.
Almost all coaches aren't Lon Kruger.

The amount of basketball IQ that man has about offensive basketball is unreal.

But...

I think a program like Florida....Who has the talent and resources available should strive for a coach like Lon Kruger.

So should Florida State.
Leonard Hamilton to me is a great coach but even he isn't Lon Kroger.

Mike White has done a solid job. His problem is he isn't Billy Donovan. You follow a legend, you'll get compared to him. It will be like following Nick Saban at Bama. Good luck.
Difference is Bama will go all out for Football as far as support, coaches pay etc. What big time hire has FL bball ever made? They go for Diamonds in the rough and just happen to hit every once in a while.

2005-2007 they seemed to care
It was reported by a very reliable source that Mike White and Chris Holtman were two current college head coaches that interviewed for the North Carolina job. Ohio State did their best to say it never took place to save face for their coach and program. Have not heard anything from Florida.

It was reported by a very reliable source that Mike White and Chris Holtman were two current college head coaches that interviewed for the North Carolina job. Ohio State did their best to say it never took place to save face for their coach and program. Have not heard anything from Florida.

Florida is probably ambivalent. Can’t fire a guy that gets us to the NCAAT every year. But won’t shed many tears if he leaves and they can keep looking for another Billy D.

ADVERTISEMENT