ADVERTISEMENT

Which Team Best Defends the 3?

Jumper100

Mar 12, 2017
Who do the smart people on this forum think is great at defending the 3point shot? If you want to highlight any specific players, feel free, but the main question is about team defense.

Who do the smart people on this forum think is great at defending the 3point shot? If you want to highlight any specific players, feel free, but the main question is about team defense.
I would say Virginia would have to be up there. One of the best defenses in the country. West Virginia and Purdue would be up there as well.

Top 10 teams in opposing 3-pt percentage according to Kenpom

1. San Diego (26.0%)
2. Grand Canyon (26.4%)
3. Duquesne (28.3%)
4. Miami (28.5%)
5. Georgia Southern (28.6%)
6. Boise State (29.1%)
T7. UVA (29.4%)
T7. Kentucky (29.4%)
9. South Alabama (29.5%)
10. Idaho (29.7%)

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Top 10 teams per kenpom in 3 point attempt %

Northern Colorado
Rhode Island
Grand Canyon
Oakland
Unlv
Northeastern
North Florida
Wisconsin
Michigan
Nebraska

UNC is one of the worst, though Kenny Williams is really good for them.

Top 10 teams in opposing 3-pt percentage according to Kenpom

1. San Diego (26.0%)
2. Grand Canyon (26.4%)
3. Duquesne (28.3%)
4. Miami (28.5%)
5. Georgia Southern (28.6%)
6. Boise State (29.1%)
T7. UVA (29.4%)
T7. Kentucky (29.4%)
9. South Alabama (29.5%)
10. Idaho (29.7%)

I'm honestly stunned that UK is that high because Kentucky gives up a boatload of open threes.

Reactions: Dablueman
I'm honestly stunned that UK is that high because Kentucky gives up a boatload of open threes.
I have noticed that too. I think it's the length a player is open for a three and a defender is running at him with a 7ft wingspan and is over 6ft6. Just thinks that rattles the shooters whether the defender gets there or not

Top 10 teams per kenpom in 3 point attempt %

Northern Colorado
Rhode Island
Grand Canyon
Oakland
Unlv
Northeastern
North Florida
Wisconsin
Michigan
Nebraska

Looks like a list of crappy teams to me. Maybe they defend it so well because they play other crappy teams. Even the three B1G teams fit this narrative.

Last year Michigan made a philosophical change to essentially make their number 1 priority defensively to run guys off the 3 point line. As someone posted above that’s the best way to gauge who defends the 3 the best. It has made a huge difference for UM, this years team is by far beileins best defensive team.

Reactions: UKcats1988
ADVERTISEMENT