ADVERTISEMENT

Which program suffers the most from the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament?

Which program suffers the most from the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament?

• Baylor

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Dayton

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Florida State

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • San Diego State

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Creighton

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Penn State

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Rutgers

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Other

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters
Feel bad for all of the seniors. Especially ones like Lamar Stevens and Yoeli Childs, who never played in the NCAA Tournament, and came back to school mostly to get the opportunity of playing in the big dance.

Looks like the scales are tipping in favor of Dayton. I'd say that's probably accurate. Obi Toppins don't coming walking through your door very often. They never lost a single game in regulation this year. Weak schedule? Sure. But, they were really, really talented and could compete with anyone.

Feel bad for all of the seniors. Especially ones like Lamar Stevens and Yoeli Childs, who never played in the NCAA Tournament, and came back to school mostly to get the opportunity of playing in the big dance.

Looks like the scales are tipping in favor of Dayton. I'd say that's probably accurate. Obi Toppins don't coming walking through your door very often. They never lost a single game in regulation this year. Weak schedule? Sure. But, they were really, really talented and could compete with anyone.
Lamar Stevens finished 7 points shy of being the all time leader in state penn history. That’s awful.

it's Kansas as they were unanimous #1 and #1 in every analytical measure. That of course does not mean they win it but they were the most likely winner. Sure Dayton & SDS had a real shot at the final four, but we have seen small schools make the final four without any long term bump but adding a championship especially for a blue blood that has an obvious shortcoming on number of titles is the biggest impact, imo

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
it's Kansas as they were unanimous #1 and #1 in every analytical measure. That of course does not mean they win it but they were the most likely winner. Sure Dayton & SDS had a real shot at the final four, but we have seen small schools make the final four without any long term bump but adding a championship especially for a blue blood that has an obvious shortcoming on number of titles is the biggest impact, imo
Has any previous team been #1 in all analytical measures before?

I will say FSU and Dayton. I think they are the true title contenders that won’t see odds in their favor like this for a long time. Baylor is consistently pretty good. The other teams I don’t think had much of a chance to win the whole thing

I'd consider Florida St in the 2nd tier and Baylor first tier.

I think Florida St has a better chance of reaching that level again soon.

Schools like Dayton and San Diego State. They had a great chance to make something truly special happen, and now they don't even get to try. Kansas will be back with another great team sooner than later. We may never see another season with so many Daytons seriously contending for the title.

Reactions: NativeKansan

I didn't list Kansas because they're a 1 or 2 seed most every year. I think the cancellation is a little more devastating for teams that are having one of the best years in program history.

And FWIW, Kansas is #2 in the NET rankings. So, not #1 across the board.

I will say FSU and Dayton. I think they are the true title contenders that won’t see odds in their favor like this for a long time. Baylor is consistently pretty good. The other teams I don’t think had much of a chance to win the whole thing

They have been pretty good lately. But they've never been higher than a 3 seed. And they haven't been to the Final Four since 1950.

They have been pretty good lately. But they've never been higher than a 3 seed. And they haven't been to the Final Four since 1950.

KU was #1 in NET before the conference tourney. Gonzaga got to play theirs and leap frogged

My first thought was Dayton. But to be honest I was never a believer in them. They beat up on a bad schedule and probably would have been the first high seed to get exposed.

I changed my vote to Florida state. They‘be been a solid top 10-20 team 3 of the last 4 seasons. And this their best team coming with the rest of the field being down I think this could have been the year they finally got over the hump and into the final four. Hamilton is 71. Probably doesn’t have much time on the sidelines left.

I do feel bad for Doke, though. Missed the tournament in 2017 and 2019 due to injuries. He's now missed the tournament three times. KU was 1 for 1 on going to the Final Four with a healthy Doke.

bullshit. Kansas will probably be #1 again at some point within the next few years, probably sooner. They'll be a #1 seed again and again. They'll be favored to win it all again. Dayton and SDSU will most likely never reach these heights again in the next 50 years.

Your post is complete crap.

Reactions: NativeKansan
I guess now we all know how it feels to be a IU fan, by not having a team playing in late March.
So many of us are accustomed to be playing in the NCAA tournament. *sigh*

Dayton or Penn State.

Dayton likely will not have a season like this one in the next generation.

Penn State may go another decade without a bid.

Rutgers will be a projected NCAA team next year.

FSU and San Diego State have shown they can put together seasons like this one in the past.

Creighton and Baylor will be top 10 teams next year.

No way on Kansas. We know Bill Self would have gagged somewhere along the trail.

No way on Kansas. We know Bill Self would have gagged somewhere along the trail.

If he won the only final four with all four one seeds, he sure as hell could have won this. And probably would have.

If he won the only final four with all four one seeds, he sure as hell could have won this. And probably would have.
ehhh. Same as Cal, he probably would have blown it.

*insert facts of life theme song here

**those guys need to thank each other for their lone titles.

bullshit. Kansas will probably be #1 again at some point within the next few years, probably sooner. They'll be a #1 seed again and again. They'll be favored to win it all again. Dayton and SDSU will most likely never reach these heights again in the next 50 years.

And in 50 years from now when they reach those heights again, the nation will still not care about them at all.

Sorry but that's the truth for most fans of the NCAA Tournament. They don't care about the #1-2 seed mid majors.

wow, sorry I did not realize sports message board posting was so serious to you...

Has George mason seen any long term bump? VCU?

Its all relative of course but adding another title is the only thing held against KU and to a certain extent Self (other than the constant cheating of course) It is all relative to level of expectations but I do not see how the favorite to win (who did not lose a game when at full strength) is not the one harmed the most.

final fours and NC's is all anyone really remembers once the bracket is done

MSU

It felt like Winston was poised for a big postseason run. He’s got that March magic feeling. MSU goes from getting to see that to having Foster Loyer at PG.

Cal would, sure.
Is Cal better or worse than Self at recruiting, developing and blowin it in the NCAAT?

Self has done the same with less over a longer period of time?

Is that a compliment or insult?

* He's actually done less with less.

In 1969-70 FSU was 23-3 with a guy named Dave Cowens at center and a shot at a NC. They were banned from competing for violations. 50 years later FSU is 26-5 with a legit shot at a NC. Guess we’ll see everybody in 50 years...2070.

Is Cal better or worse than Self at recruiting, developing and blowin it in the NCAAT?

He has a few more final fours because he’s had a lot more talent. 50 5 star players to 18 just since leaving Memphis. Way more draft choices and lottery picks. Same title count.

Self is better at Xs and Os. When his teams struggle, it’s generally been in the 2nd game of the weekend, particularly the elite 8. Gameplanning is less of a factor with so little prep time. His record is excellent with time to prepare.

And there’s no doubt that losing Embiid, Azubuike 2x, and cancelling this tourney has had a huge impact on his tourney record.

Last edited:

I just love the Cal vs Self comparisons-----embarassment of riches. They have both underachieved per letter of the law but you cant put pen to paper what happens when underdogs line up against a titan like Kansas or UK. Add in crowds that 99.9% oppose the blue blood----it gives teams what seems like super powers in the NCAA tourney. With the teams that UK/KU have had and come up empty---of course it should be better--and that is what makes the tourney the best thing on the planet. People that dog on these two would hire them at their schools in two shakes of a lambs tail. I prefer selfs style of play much more than Cals, but I'm sure the opposite is true for UK fans. If we won the title this year it erases most of the trash talk against self. One single title by either changes the conversation.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
MSU

It felt like Winston was poised for a big postseason run. He’s got that March magic feeling. MSU goes from getting to see that to having Foster Loyer at PG.

Somehow, I think their program will survive without adding another run that likely doesn't end in a championship.

Last edited:
I just love the Cal vs Self comparisons-----embarassment of riches. They have both underachieved per letter of the law but you cant put pen to paper what happens when underdogs line up against a titan like Kansas or UK. Add in crowds that 99.9% oppose the blue blood----it gives teams what seems like super powers in the NCAA tourney. With the teams that UK/KU have had and come up empty---of course it should be better--and that is what makes the tourney the best thing on the planet. People that dog on these two would hire them at their schools in two shakes of a lambs tail. I prefer selfs style of play much more than Cals, but I'm sure the opposite is true for UK fans. If we won the title this year it erases most of the trash talk against self. One single title by either changes the conversation.
I'm ok with all this including, I much rather have Cals style over Self's. Holy f*ck that seems miserable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT