ADVERTISEMENT

Which "New" SEC coach will have the best season?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Nate Oats - Alabama (Buffalo)
Eric Musselman - Arkansas (Nevada)
Buzz Williams - Texas A&M (Virginia Tech)
Jerry Stackhouse - Vanderbilt (Memphis Grizzlies (Asst))

I really like the emphasis the SEC, as a whole, has committed to basketball over the past few years.

Top to bottom, I think we have a pretty solid slate of coaches. "Old man Calipari" is now the elder statesman.

Untitled.png

To answer my own question, I'm going with Nate Oats.

Reactions: Codie B
Oats.

Cupboard definitely wasn’t bare, and I think he’s a star in the making.

Lewis/Petty backcourt should be a problem.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Oats.

Cupboard definitely wasn’t bare, and I think he’s a star in the making.

Lewis/Petty backcourt should be a problem.
That's my thinking with picking Oats. Long run, I'm going with Musselman. Arkansas and surrounding areas produces a lot of great talent. Not saying Bama doesn't, but just think of the home court atmosphere. Give me Walton Arena everyday all day. It's probably one of the most disturbing home court arena's in the nation.

Reactions: Hank_
Kind of hard to gauge, as they are all taking over teams comprised mostly of another staff's players. Some teams were also awful compared to others, ie Arkansas at least had a winning overall record while Vandy was 0-18 in conference play. I think Williams will be the best over the long run.

Kind of hard to gauge, as they are all taking over teams comprised mostly of another staff's players. Some teams were also awful compared to others, ie Arkansas at least had a winning overall record while Vandy was 0-18 in conference play. I think Williams will be the best over the long run.
Great point, he's from Texas and has a great connection to the locals.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
this thread was born during UK's Pro day.

I don't know if it would be mutual, but I'd love Tayshaun Prince as an assistant coach.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
this thread was born during UK's Pro day.

I don't know if it would be mutual, but I'd love Tayshaun Prince as an assistant coach.

My favorite player of all time. What is he doing now that he's retired?

I think you could argue the SEC has the best group of coaches in the country. I like Oats as a coach. Loved watching his Buffalo teams the last two years. And props to him for keeping most of his players. That's tough to do with coaching changes. Duke (and many others schools) were interested in Kira Lewis when he entered the transfer portal. Wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in the top 25 at some point during the season.

My favorite player of all time. What is he doing now that he's retired?
The Memphis Grizzlies promoted Tayshaun Prince to "Vice President of Basketball Affairs" within the franchise’s basketball operations department back in April.

Reactions: RR30
Oats and Musselman are both in good positions to at least make the ncaa tourney, Buzz has some talent but will need to do a hell of a job to make the tourney (which he is capable of obviously). Stackhouse doesn't have a ton to work with this year, definite rebuild project

Great point, he's from Texas and has a great connection to the locals.

That is hard.
Recruiting Texas is difficult. Matters his eye for talent and evaluating.
Supposedly they tried to steal Jai Lucas from Texas. I doubt he was interested. Lucas is the Houston guy in the state of Texas.

Too many schools recruiting the state and some at a high level.
But there is enough talent to not get Top 5/10 classes but put together a team good enough to win at a high level.

Not like football where it is just the few who can get the elite.
In basketball it is everyone.

On the question I think Oats with Bama has the most talent this year and looks like a decent coach.
I wouldn't underestimate Arkansas. I just don't think he is correct for the job.
But I respect Mike Anderson as a coach and do not believe he should have been fired.

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone say that about Mike Anderson before.

That he didn't deserve to be fired.
Anderson was brought back to fix their errors with Nolan. Anderson for the most part couldn't bring back their glory days.
He had some quality teams and created teams that were tough to play.
Anderson didn't stay out of work for long as St John's hired him.

Don't think they upgraded too much. I think it was just a change of styles.
You still need to win and lose base on defense in the SEC IMO.
Positionless basketball works much better when it starts on the defensive end. For what Musselman created at Nevada they were teams that weren't there defensively.

I think Mike Anderson, Mizzou and Arkansas can all now agree that it would've behooved all parties for Mike to stay at Mizzou.

Mike Anderson doesn't have a single losing season.
Truthfully the teams he created at Arkansas could have made deeper runs but had bad matchups.
Gave eventual champ UNC all they could have asked for.

Maybe it was time for Arkansas to put the Nolan Richardson era to bed. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT