ADVERTISEMENT

Which March Team will have the worst defense?

Jumper100

Mar 12, 2017
Which (significant) school, that you predict will make the march bracket, is quite horrible on the defensive side of the ball?

You can tell that Azubuike is soft because he knows they can't afford to have him on the bench. He was a much more aggressive and intimidating rim protector last year.

I'd expect the new addition(s) to make this defense a lot better for that reason and also because they can stop playing guys out of position.

Reactions: KUhawks34
No one cares what he thinks. If we were talking about shit offensive teams then maybe we’d let him join the discussion

I can't even PM bruh. Dude is just making shit up. Biggest loser on this board.

Good offense beats good defense every time!! If Duke just has a marginal improvement of the defensive side of the ball they will start smashing even good opponents,

Reactions: Mac9192
I can't even PM bruh. Dude is just making shit up. Biggest loser on this board.
Honestly that would’ve been the most astute basketball take you’ve ever shared, so I definitely buy it’s made up.

Honestly that would’ve been the most astute basketball take you’ve ever shared, so I definitely buy it’s made up.

Sweet burn bruh. Maybe you should wait until you're in the black on sports betting before you chime in.

I’ll have to respectfully disagree. Good defense or elite defense and subpar offense will get you far in March.

You really need both to ensure a nice run. That said, I agree with you. Defense wins.

Oh, please regale me with your triumphant fantasy football stories (again)

Someone’s mad that I’ve made a ton more money from fantasy football than he’s made from sports betting

There was a tweet, not too long ago, that showed the "good" offensive teams beat the "good" defensive teams 2-to-1 in college basketball on the avg.

Prob two seasons ago.. I'm sure there's a site that'd show whether that were (still) true or not ...
((This is where you guys step in))

I’ll have to respectfully disagree. Good defense or elite defense and subpar offense will get you far in March.
Duke is a team that just needs to improve its d just a little, because they are so good at scoring. It's why teams like Virginia will never win it all. Have to be able to put the ball in the basket without it looking painful.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I would say Duke, especially if Bagley were to get in serious foul trouble.

There was a tweet, not too long ago, that showed the "good" offensive teams beat the "good" defensive teams 2-to-1 in college basketball on the avg.

Prob two seasons ago.. I'm sure there's a site that'd show whether that were (still) true or not ...
((This is where you guys step in))

That's interesting. If that "good" offensive team is elite inside and out, that would certainly make sense. I think of '15 Wisconsin who did it to '15 UK. Hell, Notre Dame nearly knocked off UK too. I remember Wisconsin and Norte Dame being the best offensive teams that season.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
That's interesting. If that "good" offensive team is elite inside and out, that would certainly make sense. I think of '15 Wisconsin who did it to '15 UK. Hell, Norte Dame nearly knocked off UK too. I remember Wisconsin and Norte Dame being the best offensive teams that season.

Defense is what won the game against ND down the stretch and would of help beat Wisconsin if the Harrison twin knew how to follow a shot clock...

Defense is what won the game against ND down the stretch and would of help beat Wisconsin if the Harrison twin knew how to follow a shot clock...

UK went 1-1 against KenPom's 1st and 2nd rated offensive teams in the NCAA Tournament despite having a historic defense.

UK in a zone defense is one of the best, man to man not so much.

Assuming we are leaving out the mid majors I would have to say UCLA. Yeah they beat UK, but I like our chances in a rematch and their defense isn’t that great, UK just played poorly.

I have seen every Duke game. And not that many non Duke games. I will say Duke.
You guys took turns blasting on me when I called out K and Duke for playing that shitty zone.

Can’t win a championship without being able to play tight man (I realize Syracuse won in ‘03, but let’s be honest...it shouldn’t even be legal to play 4 Big 12 teams in one tournament. That’s 3 automatic wins, with vs KU almost being an automatic win). Defense win championships, and zone is not defense.

You guys took turns blasting on me when I called out K and Duke for playing that shitty zone.

Can’t win a championship without being able to play tight man (I realize Syracuse won in ‘03, but let’s be honest...it shouldn’t even be legal to play 4 Big 12 teams in one tournament. That’s 3 automatic wins, with vs KU almost being an automatic win). Defense win championships, and zone is not defense.

You know Duke played zone in 2015 right? Can't remember what happened that year. jumpingsmile

You know Duke played zone in 2015 right? Can't remember what happened that year. jumpingsmile

You guys had a real rough defense for most of that year too iirc. Don't think you have a defender on the level of Justice Winslow this year though.

You guys had a real rough defense for most of that year too iirc. Don't think you have a defender on the level of Justice Winslow this year though.

Yep, but this team's zone to me is better than '15.

If Duke just improves their defense, and with the offense they have, it will be a TALL TALL order to beat them. Oh yea and keep on working on the FT’s.

Reactions: Mac9192
Kansas adding de Souza and Preston will eliminate this notion that they are a terrible defensive team

So two freshman are going to improve the defense that much? Doubtful. Takes a while to understand help defense and rotations. Most freshman really struggle. See Kentucky and Duke.

Bagley is a mediocre defender. Carter getting in foul trouble is more of a problem as he's the best shot blocker on their team.
I wasn't talking about his defense. I am talking about losing his 20 PPG and 10 RPG.

So two freshman are going to improve the defense that much? Doubtful. Takes a while to understand help defense and rotations. Most freshman really struggle. See Kentucky and Duke.

Most years you'd be right. This gives KU a legitimate second and third big. Both very athletic. Preston has been practicing with the team since mid summer.

This will allow Lightfoot to take his rightful place as a fourth big.
This will allow Azabuike to be much more aggressive.
This will give KU rim protection in their back side and help side defense.
This will allow Mykhailiuk and Vick to avoid having to guard the other team's four.
This will allow Clay Young to sit the bench.
This will allow James Sosinski to play football.

Referencing UK and Duke doesn't really make much sense. They both really rely on a team primarily made up of talented freshman, with a few experienced upperclassmen sprinkled in. Kansas' situation is really the exact opposite. They rely on primarily veterans, with their talented freshmen big guys taking on support roles.

KU's rotation right now is 7-8 players (mostly all perimeter guys).

So yes...adding two bigs as talented and athletic as Preston and de Souza will do wonders for Kansas...especially defensively. Offensively, there really is no pressure on them. Anything they provide offensively is just gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT