ADVERTISEMENT

Which Elite Bigs Will Return for the 2023 season?

Which Elite Bigs Will Return for the 2023 season?

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
The NBA game has evolved where versatile bigs that can shoot and/or defend really well is almost a necessity. That leaves a lot of the traditional bigs in limbo; do they go pro or stick around for another year? Most of these guys are playing about as well as they possibly could at the collegiate level. Vote for all of the bigs that you think will return. And let us know who else needs to be considered on the short list of elite big men that will be returning.

I assume the frontcourt duos at Auburn and Duke are gone, as well as Liddell, Duren, and Holmgren.

Id say it isnt super far fetched for all to come back.

williams and koloko least likely imo but who knows

Reactions: KisteK

I don't expect all of them to return. But who knows? A few of these guys might get drafted, but don't think any of them would be 1st Round guarantees. An NIL might be the difference for a few of these guys. Feel like Timme or Bacot could arguably make just as much from NIL as they could in Europe or wherever they end up.

Last edited:
Kyle Tucker who is more tuned in than anyone for Kentucky thinks Oscar is coming back. Unanimous NPOY coming back is wild to think about. Hope he's right.
We won't contend for a title unless we get Sharpe, too. But Oscar is without a doubt the first domino. Hope the noise is true.

Reactions: cdbearde
Kyle Tucker who is more tuned in than anyone for Kentucky thinks Oscar is coming back. Unanimous NPOY coming back is wild to think about. Hope he's right.

Wow. That's crazy. He was so freaking dominant this past season. But, if you make more money from NIL deals than you would as a professional, then why not?

It's crazy how many of the elite big men return to school. Last year, we saw three 2nd Team All-American bigs return for this season: Hunter Dickinson, Kofi Cockburn, and Drew Timme. I think this pattern will continue. Their games don't necessarily translate well to the NBA, and with sponsorships available in college, it's not really a bad deal at all.

FWIW, Keve Aluma would be a 6th-year player. He sat out one year as a transfer, but he's also eligible for the free COVID year. So, being 24 years old might dissuade him.

We won't contend for a title unless we get Sharpe, too. But Oscar is without a doubt the first domino. Hope the noise is true.

I don't think we will contend again with Cal. Hope I'm wrong. But a lineup with Cason, a healthy Fredrick and Toppin/Oscar should at least be very good. Need another guard or two who can shoot.

Wow. That's crazy. He was so freaking dominant this past season. But, if you make more money from NIL deals than you would as a professional, then why not?

It's crazy how many of the elite big men return to school. Last year, we saw three 2nd Team All-American bigs return for this season: Hunter Dickinson, Kofi Cockburn, and Drew Timme. I think this pattern will continue. Their games don't necessarily translate well to the NBA, and with sponsorships available in college, it's not really a bad deal at all.

Wonder who the last NPOY was that returned. It can't be a frequent occurrence.

I really hope Aluma's dumb ass doesn't come back. He always kills us. I'm really hoping VT takes a step back if they lose Aluma, Mutts, and Murphy. **** those losers.

I don't think we will contend again with Cal. Hope I'm wrong. But a lineup with Cason, a healthy Fredrick and Toppin/Oscar should at least be very good. Need another guard or two who can shoot.

Wonder who the last NPOY was that returned. It can't be a frequent occurrence.
Tyler Hansbrough was NPOY in 2008 and returned for 2009. Having trouble remembering if anyone has done it since.

I really hope Aluma's dumb ass doesn't come back. He always kills us. I'm really hoping VT takes a step back if they lose Aluma, Mutts, and Murphy. **** those losers.

We really need some VT fans on this board for you. Would be fun to see you roast them.

Have no idea if Aluma is coming back. But, most guys don't stick around when they're 24. They know their window of playing professionally is pretty small.

Reactions: jhmossy
Sheebway will make more $$ in Lexington than he will in the pros so him.
He's on a student visa though and what exactly that means regarding NIL earning opportunities now and in the future seems to be up in the air. Don't think he would be able to fully utilize the NIL benefits unless it's approved by federal govt, and nothing they do is in a hurry.

Koloko is supposed to be 50/50 but I think he leaves. Supposedly he has a first round guarantee which makes it all the more likely he declares

Tyler Hansbrough was NPOY in 2008 and returned for 2009. Having trouble remembering if anyone has done it since.
Happened often back in the day....

Bill Walton, David Thompson, Ralph Sampson(won Naismith 3 straight years), etc.....But there are so many different variations---NPOY as in, Naismith, AP, Oscar Robertson, NABC, Sporting News....

I mean Jordan was Sporting News NPOY, returned and swept every award...Maravich won OScar Robertson award, then returned, and swept every award....

Naismith award didn't start until 1969----Kareem won that, AP and Sporting News.. But prior seasons, he won AP, Oscar and Sporting News...

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Love and Davis are locks to return, correct? Black as well? What about Manek?

Even then, I think Arkansas will be preseason #1.
Manek has run out of eligibility. I’m guessing love is gone. Maybe Bacot too. I hope they all come back but who knows? I don’t think they’re first round picks so maybe they give it another go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

In my mind, this confirms that Jaylin Williams will not return to Arkansas. They just received commitments from the Mitchell twins.

Makhi averaged 9.9 ppg, 7.3 reb, and 1.4 blk. And Makhel averaged 10.7 pp, 5.6 reb, and 2.4 blk.

Timme is putting his name in the draft. Don't know if that means he's 100% gone, however.

That is the deal dukedevilz. "Their games don't necessarily translate well to the NBA".

The NBA love bigs who shoot way out on the court. Some college bigs don't do that.

Unc could be preseason #1 w Bacot back
Bacot and Love are looking at Million dollar plus NIL deals if they return according to insiders.
Bacot may never be an NBA player, in actuality he could play 2 more years at Carolina for Mil plus each year or go play in G League with hopes of catching on with a team one day.
No brainer if it was me.

Do UK/UNC play again next year? Because they should. Wanna see that battle again.

They should play every year tbh, but that's another point entirely.
My guess is they will not play this year, but I agree. It really should be an annual game. I miss the standing home / home series we had.

My guess is they will not play this year, but I agree. It really should be an annual game. I miss the standing home / home series we had.

Agreed. If they wanted to keep the CBS Classic thing they could go home/away/neutral. In fact I wish that's what happened.

Not surprising, but was hoping he'd give it a shot. He should be a preseason 1st Team All-American pick.

Will they put two centers together? Because if Oscar is back as expected he's gonna be the first team center.

Will they put two centers together? Because if Oscar is back as expected he's gonna be the first team center.
A little worried about this myself. Collins is for sure coming back but where does that land him if Osccar comes back? Can one move to forward?

I have a long history of posting about how much of a fan I am of Daimion Collins.

On the UNC versus UK home and home; Cal killed it.
I think OOC haters would be ok with just home and homes with UNC, UL and IU. Throw in Classic Champions and CBS Sports classic.

UK fans want to play the best of the best every year. We like to see where we're at. Need something to yell at.

Hard to do with young teams, but who cares. Let's play them.

A little worried about this myself. Collins is for sure coming back but where does that land him if Osccar comes back? Can one move to forward?

I have a long history of posting about how much of a fan I am of Daimion Collins.

Collins natural position is a 4. I know you'll disagree lol, but he can play on the perimeter as well. If we get Broome or the kid from Arkansas St., our front court is going to be out of this world. I hope we pick up the center from Utah St, however we're about to sign a 7 ft out of HS. He's rate the #6 center for 2022. We also need to pick a pg, hopefully above 6 ft lol. I like Wheeler but.....

With our 2 guys coming in, Livinston is a dog, Wallace is plays smart like Washington, maybe a little more agressive. This team has the potential to be really good. Better than this past year. Now its up to Cal not to screw it up.

ADVERTISEMENT