ADVERTISEMENT

Which Active NBA player has best chance at all time top 10?

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
As the title states, which active NBA player has the best chance of one day moving into the top 10 (besides Lebron).

Basically, who from outside the top 10 could one day get there?

There’s a few guys I’ve got in mind, though all of them still have some solid work to do. I’ll say, in order:

1. Steph — If he gets a 4th title he’s got an argument. A 5th and it’s a lock.

2. Freak — 2 MVPs is a nice start, but he needs to start performing in the postseason. Like, now.

3. Luka — This guy is spectacular, plays the right position to dominate games in modern hoops, and is at a franchise who is committed to building a winner. Sky is the limit with health.

4. Durant — My guess is, his best basketball is behind him. Can he scrap together another title or two? Idk. Maybe with the right team around him. Or hell, maybe if he joins the right team (that ain’t the Nets). His resume is already fantastic, but it feels like most of the story has been written.

5. Kawhi Leonard — Obviously this year hurts. He needs to add at least two more titles for serious consideration, because he will never have the career stats like a Lebron or even a Karl Malone. It’s possible, but feels less likely now than 15 months ago.

Reactions: MGC_07
In order from best to worst chance..

1. Luka
2. Freak (improved his shooting a good bit and that will continue)
3. Kawhi (3 years younger than Durant and Steph) will have a lot to prove next year..and he will.
4. Durant
5. Steph

Last edited:
Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
I'd say only Luka.
Curry is a 3X NBA Champion....6X NBA All-Star....2X MVP.....Hes only 32. He wins another title, MVP, and he has a case....Wins a 5th title? With 3 or 4 MVP's? Lock.

Luka is great, though. But he has zero titles.....zero MVP's...One All-Star game..

1. Luka
3. Kawhi (3 years younger than Durant and Steph) will have a lot to prove next year..and he will.
4. Durant
5. Steph
I'd put Steph ahead of KD....That injury is brutal.

Yeah, i change my mind. I agree with you.
Yeah if not for the injury, I'd put KD ahead of him. Hell, I'd put him damn near the top of the list. I still think he's one of the most underrated players of all-time...

1. Luka
4. Durant
5. Steph

Steph is too low. I’d say at the worst he’s 3rd. He has a better resume than Durant and Durant is coming off an awful injury. And Kawhi is just always gonna be lacking the stats/records.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Steph is too low. I’d say at the worst he’s 3rd. He has a better resume than Durant and Durant is coming off an awful injury. And Kawhi is just always gonna be lacking the stats/records.

Yeah but Kawhi isn't lacking the stats by much. He also has a better FG % than Steph by 3 and exactly the % same with Durant. Plus i think defense should play into this as well and not just offensive stats, which we already know Kawhi is elite at.

Yeah but Kawhi isn't lacking the stats by much. He also has a better FG % than Steph by 3 and exactly the % same with Durant. Plus i think defense should play into this as well and not just offensive stats, which we already know Kawhi is elite at.

Kawhi isn’t even in the top 250 all time for nba scoring. He’s got 9,700 points. For comparison, Brook Lopez is 204th all time with 13,200.

Curry has nearly as many Championships as Kawhi has all star appearances.

Kawhi is a hell of a player. Honestly, he’s a top 3 player in the world right now. And defense is certainly a factor. But his overall resume has a lot of work to do to get to top 10.

I mean, Hakeem is a 2x DPOY, 3x block champ, and has 26,000 points and he’s not even in many people’s top 10.

Kawhi isn’t even in the top 250 all time for nba scoring. He’s got 9,700 points. For comparison, Brook Lopez is 204th all time with 13,200.

Curry has nearly as many Championships as Kawhi has all star appearances.

Kawhi is a hell of a player. Honestly, he’s a top 3 player in the world right now. And defense is certainly a factor. But his overall resume has a lot of work to do to get to top 10.

I mean, Hakeem is a 2x DPOY, 3x block champ, and has 26,000 points and he’s not even in many people’s top 10.

Yeah, Kawhi was a late bloomer but he is in his prime and if he can get 2 or 3 more championships, who knows..

Reactions: GE Nole
Yeah, Kawhi was a late bloomer but he is in his prime and if he can get 2 or 3 more championships, who knows..

I think he would need 3 more. Unless he added an MVP or two.

Whereas someone like Steph or Durant probably only needs 1 more to enter the conversation. Two would be a stone cold lock.

I’m not saying Kawhi can’t. He’s only 29. That’s why I had him in the top 5. Just saying, Steph is more likely in my mind.

Luca is my guess. His skill level and makeup put him in very rare company. The guy is just 21 years old. He's a mix of magic and Bird.

Curry is a 3X NBA Champion....6X NBA All-Star....2X MVP.....Hes only 32. He wins another title, MVP, and he has a case....Wins a 5th title? With 3 or 4 MVP's? Lock.

Luka is great, though. But he has zero titles.....zero MVP's...One All-Star game..

Curry has all those things and he still has zero chance of ever being considered a top 10 player of all time IMO. He's not going to win another MVP and I seriously doubt he's going to win another title. He's never been a Finals MVP so his 3 NBA championships only give him so much juice when it comes to top 10 players of all time.

His 3 titles don't stack up to guys like Magic or Bird. Or anyone else in the top 10 and even some guys considered outside/borderline top 10 like Kobe.

Simply put, you need to win Finals MVP, not just championships, to be considered a top 10 of all time. Curry isn't even close to that status.

Luka has a shot to get there. Don't see anyone else in the league getting there unless you think Durant is going to bounce back from his injury to where he was pre-injury.

MJ: 6 FMVP
Kareem: 2 FMVP
Lebron: 3 FMVP
Magic: 3 FMVP
Wilt: 1 FMVP (award didn't exist until 1969)
Russell: award didn't exist, but is now named after him
Hakeem: 2 FMVP
Shaq: 3 FMVP
Bird: 2 FMVP
Duncan: 3 FMVP
Kobe: 2 FMVP

Curry: 0 FMVP

Steph has ZERO chance of cracking the top 10 all time. He shouldn't even be mentioned.

Mehhh iggys final mvp should have went to Steph, so I’m not knocking him for that.

Iggy played well sure, but there was no debate that curry is what made that team elite.

I love Kawhi, but for some reason he looked old out there to me this post season. I know he’s young, but his knees make him look older than Bron.

Mehhh iggys final mvp should have went to Steph, so I’m not knocking him for that.

Iggy played well sure, but there was no debate that curry is what made that team elite.

top 10 players of all time shouldn't be fighting for MVPs with role players.

Reactions: bignish
Curry has all those things and he still has zero chance of ever being considered a top 10 player of all time IMO. He's not going to win another MVP and I seriously doubt he's going to win another title. He's never been a Finals MVP so his 3 NBA championships only give him so much juice when it comes to top 10 players of all time.

His 3 titles don't stack up to guys like Magic or Bird. Or anyone else in the top 10 and even some guys considered outside/borderline top 10 like Kobe.

Simply put, you need to win Finals MVP, not just championships, to be considered a top 10 of all time. Curry isn't even close to that status.

Luka has a shot to get there. Don't see anyone else in the league getting there unless you think Durant is going to bounce back from his injury to where he was pre-injury.

MJ: 6 FMVP
Kareem: 2 FMVP
Lebron: 3 FMVP
Magic: 3 FMVP
Wilt: 1 FMVP (award didn't exist until 1969)
Russell: award didn't exist, but is now named after him
Hakeem: 2 FMVP
Shaq: 3 FMVP
Bird: 2 FMVP
Duncan: 3 FMVP
Kobe: 2 FMVP

Curry: 0 FMVP

Steph has ZERO chance of cracking the top 10 all time. He shouldn't even be mentioned.

1) You’re putting too much weight on FMVPs. They are worth factoring in, but they aren’t THE factor.

2) Any person who really follows the NBA acknowledges that Steph was the MVP of the 2015 Warriors title team and also their best player in the finals.

1) You’re putting too much weight on FMVPs. They are worth factoring in, but they aren’t THE factor.

2) Any person who really follows the NBA acknowledges that Steph was the MVP of the 2015 Warriors title team and also their best player in the finals.

Disagree. When talking about top 10 players of all time, FMVP are very important. Basically THE deciding factor between an all time great top 20-30 player and the cream at the top.

Every single player in that top 10 has not just one, but at least 2 FMVPs on their resume. The only ones who don't are two guys who played before the award came out and one of those guys still managed to get one. The other guy was so good the award is now named after him.

So if you want to argue that Steph deserved a FMVP all that does is give Steph one maybe shoulda coulda but wasn't FMVP and nothing else.

He has ZERO chance of ever being considered top 10 of all time. It's a different level. He didn't achieve it statistically (lack of FMVP's) and he sure didn't achieve it with the eye test unless your eyes tell you that he's a better player than guys like Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem. In which case you need to get glasses.

To be a top 10 player of all time you need to not just win titles, but be the very best player on multiple title winning teams. That's a high bar, but one that 10-11 people in history have been able to reach. Steph isn't in that elite group.

AD has a chance imo. Dudes unreal. Bout to grab a oh so coveted finals mvp imo lol
AD was my immediate thought when I read the title.
He and Bron win a couple, then he wins a couple more without him. I can see it. Not sure I see it for any of the others. Top 10 is insanely difficult.

AD was my immediate thought when I read the title.
He and Bron win a couple, then he wins a couple more without him. I can see it. Not sure I see it for any of the others. Top 10 is insanely difficult.

What has AD done to show he could even come close to winning one on his own? I mean, I guess if he did, then yeah the conversation changes. But right now he can barely win a playoff series on his own.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Disagree. When talking about top 10 players of all time, FMVP are very important. Basically THE deciding factor between an all time great top 20-30 player and the cream at the top.

Every single player in that top 10 has not just one, but at least 2 FMVPs on their resume. The only ones who don't are two guys who played before the award came out and one of those guys still managed to get one. The other guy was so good the award is now named after him.

So if you want to argue that Steph deserved a FMVP all that does is give Steph one maybe shoulda coulda but wasn't FMVP and nothing else.

He has ZERO chance of ever being considered top 10 of all time. It's a different level. He didn't achieve it statistically (lack of FMVP's) and he sure didn't achieve it with the eye test unless your eyes tell you that he's a better player than guys like Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem. In which case you need to get glasses.

To be a top 10 player of all time you need to not just win titles, but be the very best player on multiple title winning teams. That's a high bar, but one that 10-11 people in history have been able to reach. Steph isn't in that elite group.

Steph was the best player on several Warriors teams. The 2015 FMVP was a sham—there’s no statistical evidence that Steph wasn't the best player.

What hurts him the most is the loss in 2016. If Lebron doesn’t make that all-timer of a block, Steph becomes FMVP of a team that maybe goes down as the best team ever. Certainly the winningest team ever. With one block, Lebron completely resurrected his top 2 legacy and simultaneously put a huge dent in Steph’s top 10 legacy.

But at 32 he’s still got a chance for 1/2 more title runs. And he’s already the best shooter of all time, so he’s got that elitism checked off. Give him 4-5 titles and he becomes part of the conversation.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
What has AD done to show he could even come close to winning one on his own? I mean, I guess if he did, then yeah the conversation changes. But right now he can barely win a playoff series on his own.
I just see the path. Ride with Bron for two years and win two. Add another star as Bron fades and take down a couple more. He has the tools and right now can learn from the best, then do it himself in a few years. He's only 27. I think there is plenty of time. Playing in LA doesn't hurt.

Reactions: GE Nole
Steph was the best player on several Warriors teams. The 2015 FMVP was a sham—there’s no statistical evidence that Steph wasn't the best player.

What hurts him the most is the loss in 2016. If Lebron doesn’t make that all-timer of a block, Steph becomes FMVP of a team that maybe goes down as the best team ever. Certainly the winningest team ever. With one block, Lebron completely resurrected his top 2 legacy and simultaneously put a huge dent in Steph’s top 10 legacy.

But at 32 he’s still got a chance for 1/2 more title runs. And he’s already the best shooter of all time, so he’s got that elitism checked off. Give him 4-5 titles and he becomes part of the conversation.
See, I think his run is over. Prove me wrong, Steph.

The issue is that if you ask about best combinations I would include Curry/Klay

But individually they aren't elite players.
Without Klay Thompson the Warriors would have been at best a 3 or 4 seed.

You are attempting to give one player all the credit for multiple players.
Wasn't just Klay....

If you "really" follow the Warriors you would know the key points in their rise.

One was putting Draymond Green in the starting lineup.
Made them a playoff team. They went from being the 11th or 12th best team in the West to being a playoff team.

The issue is that if you ask about best combinations I would include Curry/Klay

But individually they aren't elite players.
Without Klay Thompson the Warriors would have been at best a 3 or 4 seed.

You are attempting to give one player all the credit for multiple players.
Wasn't just Klay....

If you "really" follow the Warriors you would know the key points in their rise.

One was putting Draymond Green in the starting lineup.
Made them a playoff team. They went from being the 11th or 12th best team in the West to being a playoff team.
Klay may not be elite but Steph most certainly is. He's the greatest shooter in the history of the sport and his gravity changes the way defenses have to guard the Warriors. His passing and rebounding ability for a guard is also elite.

Individually I think Damian Lillard is a better player than Curry

Nothing against Curry because Curry has a much higher basketball IQ.

But change places.
Curry doesn't make Portland a better team than Lillard has.
Warriors still win NBA championships

You have to understand the Warriors before Steve Kerr.

What made them the team they are now
Drafting Curry didn't change the franchise as much as some think.

Do you think Durant is a fringe top 10 player of all time already because I do. He has 2 Finals MVPs, a regular season MVP and was the scoring champ 4 times.

I agree that Steph is a rung down, I don't see him winning anything else with Lebron and AD on the Lakers and Kawhi and PG on the Clippers.

Matters who the Warriors draft...

I wouldn't totally discount them yet.

But they are a team...

Their basketball IQ is unbelievable. So I don't like giving individual players off that team too much credit because as we have seen.

It is all of them.

Klay/Curry/Draymond Green together formed one of the most dominating teams in NBA History

Separate them and you don't have that much

Individually I think Damian Lillard is a better player than Curry

Nothing against Curry because Curry has a much higher basketball IQ.

But change places.
Curry doesn't make Portland a better team than Lillard has.
Warriors still win NBA championships

You have to understand the Warriors before Steve Kerr.

What made them the team they are now
Drafting Curry didn't change the franchise as much as some think.

This right here^^^^^is asinine.

Curry is so far and away a better shooter than Dame, saying apples to oranges doesn’t do it justice.

The entire leadership of the organization built the Warriors around Curry. Curry’s other worldly talent is what created the strategy for them to go get the players they did.

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but you are more off base about the Warriors and Curry than you are Shaka.

This right here^^^^^is asinine.

Curry is so far and away a better shooter than Dame, saying apples to oranges doesn’t do it justice.

The entire leadership of the organization built the Warriors around Curry. Curry’s other worldly talent is what created the strategy for them to go get the players they did.

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but you are more off base about the Warriors and Curry than you are Shaka.

Curry can't do it alone...

By himself he isn't the player you think he is.

The reason he is such a great player is because he can play off the ball.
Curry without the ball is one of the most dangerous players in the game.

Klay Thompson is as well. But Klay allows Curry to be able to play off the ball.

You can say the same for Thompson.

I watched the Warriors before they were a playoff team.

I actually saw what caused them to be the team they became.

Another player who doesn't receive enough credit that they moved on from was Harrison Barnes.

Curry can't do it alone...

By himself he isn't the player you think he is.

The reason he is such a great player is because he can play off the ball.
Curry without the ball is one of the most dangerous players in the game.

Klay Thompson is as well. But Klay allows Curry to be able to play off the ball.

You can say the same for Thompson.

I watched the Warriors before they were a playoff team.

I actually saw what caused them to be the team they became.

Another player who doesn't receive enough credit that they moved on from was Harrison Barnes.

No player can do it alone. MJ couldn’t. Lebron couldn’t. Magic couldn’t.

Even attempting to suggest that Dame and Steph are in the same category is bonkers and makes you look like a fool.

No player can do it alone. MJ couldn’t. Lebron couldn’t. Magic couldn’t.

Even attempting to suggest that Dame and Steph are in the same category is bonkers and makes you look like a fool.

Better to look like a fool to the ignorant than be an actual fool...

Damian Lillard is an elite player.
Guards can't carry their teams much further than he has.

Individually Lillard is probably a better player
But basketball is a team game. You win by having elite teams and not elite players...

Better to look like a fool to the ignorant than be an actual fool...

Damian Lillard is an elite player.
Guards can't carry their teams much further than he has.

Individually Lillard is probably a better player
But basketball is a team game. You win by having elite teams and not elite players...

You just need to stop, man. You’re making it apparent you don’t know anything about hoops. I’ve watched Warriors games since RunTMC. And I’ve been a big fan of Dame his whole career. But one is the best shooter in the history of basketball and one is a good shooter who has deep range.

Steph’s NBA career average (11 seasons, the vast majority being the best player on his team) from 3 is more than 3 percentage points higher than Dame’s BEST season.

Let that sink in. The best that Dame has ever done, is worse than Steph’s career average...by a significant margin.

And it’s the same at the FT line too. Steph’s career average is better than all but two of Dame’s seasons. Thats not a result of Steph having help. He’s just a better shooter.

Steph’s career average in steals is better than Dame’s best season.

Steph’s career average efg% is better than Dame’s best season.

Reactions: redraider1212
Look at Lillard's winshare compare to Curry

You mean Steph’s 103.2 win shares and his .207 win shares per 48, vs Dame’s 81.9 win shares and his .176 win share per 48?

Are those the ones you’re talking about?

Dame’s best season was a 12.6 win share. Steph has 4 seasons equal to that or greater...consecutively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT