ADVERTISEMENT

When is the last time you played ball?

Last time I played competitive basketball? 2019

Last time I played pick up basketball? I think February

Last time I picked up a ball and got shots up? Last week

Reactions: hawkit3113
This year marks the 20 year anniversary of when I last played basketball. That was the year I had my 3rd back surgery and the doc told me I could never run or jump ever again for the rest of my life. Tough news to hear for a guy who spent the previous 12 years playing ball 6-7 days per week on average.

It depressed me so much I couldn't even bring myself to watch basketball anymore. Gave up on the sport entirely for about 15 years until I finally was ok with being able to watch ball and not be sad.

I'll always play ball here and there so I can play against my son when he is in high school (alumni game). But I'm less and less motivated to get out and play. Most likely b/c I don't jump explosively anymore and still can't tell my body to listen to my brain on what I can do and what I used to be able to do. If you've always been a jumper, its tough to adapt when you don't have a 40 vert anymore.

I'll always play ball here and there so I can play against my son when he is in high school (alumni game). But I'm less and less motivated to get out and play. Most likely b/c I don't jump explosively anymore and still can't tell my body to listen to my brain on what I can do and what I used to be able to do. If you've always been a jumper, its tough to adapt when you don't have a 40 vert anymore.
This is why I think I’m good to play the next 15 years or so. I’m your prototypical stretch four. Never been able to jump high but I have a big body,
I’m tell, and can shoot pretty well.

This is why I think I’m good to play the next 15 years or so. I’m your prototypical stretch four. Never been able to jump high but I have a big body,

How tall are you?

Yep---Im your typical just about 6' 180 guard that used to be faster and jump higher than 90%. Being able to blow past your man and elevate really opens up the outside. When you stop doing that, teams face guard you and offense is ****ing work.

Yep---Im your typical just about 6' 180 guard that used to be faster and jump higher than 90%. Being able to blow past your man and elevate really opens up the outside. When you stop doing that, teams face guard you and offense is ****ing work.
I would love to tell you I know how you feel, but yea, I don't haha

Been a couple years since I’ve played pickup. 4 years or so since playing in a league. Before COVID I’d shoot around a little at the Y either as a warmup or cool down after working out

Christmas for me. Granted it was my wife and I vs 8th graders.

We rent this massive barn with a basketball hoop and tennis court in it.

We won, but my wife played like shit. Her niece blocked her 3 times.
a long long time ago.

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died​

It depressed me so much I couldn't even bring myself to watch basketball anymore. Gave up on the sport entirely for about 15 years until I finally was ok with being able to watch ball and not be sad.
So you also quit watching DePaul, play?:D

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Probably, well, I dunno TBH. We play some "21" sometimes while on the road officiating....Last time I played competitive ball, though----Wow. Man, its been a minute.

Mens league ended in Feb. Haven't touched a ball since.
I hate officiating fukin men's league, games. Not really, I guess. Hate to pin an entire league on a handful of dipshits. My buddy is director of the parks department here. I work some games for him, and also a very prestigious tourney they host. Games for the most part are solid. Its just still think they are the all-conference PG they were 30 years ago....

Tell ya what....I LOVE working the 45 and over league though. Its basketball at its finest. Not this up and down the floor, run and gun, one on one shit. These dudes are calling out plays, and shit. Love those games.

Bout a decade ago. Too old now. :(

Working on becoming the Pediatric Karate Champion now though. #goals

Adult-beating-up-kids.gif

Last edited:
I hate officiating fukin men's league, games. Not really, I guess. Hate to pin an entire league on a handful of dipshits. My buddy is director of the parks department here. I work some games for him, and also a very prestigious tourney they host. Games for the most part are solid. Its just still think they are the all-conference PG they were 30 years ago....

Tell ya what....I LOVE working the 45 and over league though. Its basketball at its finest. Not this up and down the floor, run and gun, one on one shit. These dudes are calling out plays, and shit. Love those games.
Oh...you were right the first time. Rec league games are full of dipshits that think they are jordan and literally argue every call. We had to have two officers at our games a few years back b/c one team fought every game. Refs, players, anyone. They really didnt like anyone with authority.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I'm long past the sad phase in the stages of grief with DePaul. I've been in the acceptance stage for decades.
Sad, really....For a long stretch, DePaul was normally a threat...A powerhouse, of sorts. Especially so from the late 70's, early 80's...Even in the 90's they had some good teams...Its amazing a school like DePaul isn't better. I loved DePaul back in the day, becasue of their uni's...THought they were cool as shit..

It's been a few years. The last time I played my Achilles was really hurting and my mother had hers snap in her thirties while playing basketball so that was it for me. Gave up volleyball around the same time as well and I used to play a lot of that. I'm pretty much just golf these days and ok with that.

I use to play all the time but after my hip replacement I had to give up all the full court, go hard, run and gun type stuff. I tried it a couple times but about hurt myself so I hung it up. Still go out and shoot with my son and mess around but I do nothing but golf now.

Yeah Gents, this was a half court game.

Don't think I can run a full game anymore. Lol

I am still in great shape but last time I played full court I felt it when I woke up.

A lot of the cartridge in my knees is gone.

But I have to show people I can still get up and down the court at 61.
Dude, if I'm playing ball at 40 I'd consider that a win. 61? I've had two knee surgeries already at 27. Any tips you have I would appreciate lol

Dude, if I'm playing ball at 40 I'd consider that a win. 61? I've had two knee surgeries already at 27. Any tips you have I would appreciate lol

Not carrying bad weight. Keeping the muscles around your knee strong.

As crazy as it sounds shoes can help as well. A lot of it is caused by your legs going up and down the court. Your knees absorb all of that.

Half court is much different than full. I don't think I can ever play full court again without feeling it.

Research the shoes.

Walk in a pool with weights....Keeping the muscles in your legs, surrounding your knee(s) is very important..

Haven’t played since the rims were taken down around my area.

ADVERTISEMENT