ADVERTISEMENT

What's your pre season rankings?

Elite freshman recruits being underrated as usual on this board. I"ll take an uproven Caleb Houstan all day over Jaden Ivy despite having only seen clips of the former play based on what the scouts have said.

Michigan should run away in the B1G.

Jaden ivy is a stud too

Yea hes gotta make the pieces fit, which he usually does quite well. My only concern if i was a UK fan 🤢 would be you have so many players i dont see where the mins will come from for some. But thats just about the best problem you can have as a coach.

Link to where they are third with Kofi? Also, do you agree with Torvik having Illinois outside the top 25 without Kofi?
I’m sure you can figure out how to use T-rank, don’t let me have all the fun.

And we would be #26 with a starter not in projections, pretty close to what I’ve said all along. Borderline top 25 without him, top 5 with him.

Reactions: all4theillini
Elite freshman recruits being underrated as usual on this board. I"ll take an uproven Caleb Houstan all day over Jaden Ivy despite having only seen clips of the former play based on what the scouts have said.

Houstan over Ivey? No thanks. Ivey will likely be a top 25 player next season. I could easily see him making one of the All-American teams.

That being said, I think Michigan as a team still has an edge on Purdue. Dickinson has a better supporting cast, IMO. It's close, though. Real close.

Houstan over Ivey? No thanks. Ivey will likely be a top 25 player next season. I could easily see him making one of the All-American teams.

That being said, I think Michigan as a team still has an edge on Purdue. Dickinson has a better supporting cast, IMO. It's close, though. Real close.
Michigan has much better roster balance. I’d take them in a heartbeat over Purdue, that being said Ivey is a no brainer first team all-Big ten. And is probably the best guard in the conference.

Cal needs to get at least 1 if not 2 of the "can't miss" 5 stars each year and he's failed to do that since 2015.

2021: Chet, Banchero, Jaden Hardy
2020: Green, Cunningham, Mobley
2019: Wiseman
2018: Barrett, Zion, Reddish
2017: Bagley, MPJ, Ayton
2016: Jackson, Giles, Ball, Tatum

Fox and Bam were borderline in 2017 and played up to that level and that was the best UK team in recent history.

I know some of these guys opted to go to the G League and I forget which of these guys Cal was targeting but if you're that elite recruiter, you need to close the deal on these guys.

I think UK's floor will be much higher with the transfers though. I still think you need to have one superstar OAD to have that high ceiling.
Crazy how many of those were Duke players in that same time period. ;)

Productive big men are staying in college a lot longer than the guards. Pretty easy to identify several dynamic frontcourt duos.

Gonzaga: Chet Holmgren, Drew Timme
Duke: Paolo Banchero, Mark Williams
North Carolina: Dawson Garcia, Armando Bacot
Auburn: Jabari Smith, Walker Kessler
Michigan: Moussa Diabate, Hunter Dickinson (I feel like Diabate will eventually start)
Texas: Dylan Disu, Tre Mitchell
Kansas: Jalen Wilson, David McCormack
Notre Dame: Nate Laszewski, Paul Atkinson
UCLA: Jaime Jaquez, Cody Riley/Myles Johnson
Indiana: Trayce-Jackson Davis, Race Thompson

Now, can the same thing be said about dynamic backcourts? I don't even know where I'd begin with the top backcourts. I'm certain this is wrong, but these might be my top 10 backcourts.

1. Kansas
2. UCLA
3. Tennessee
4. Gonzaga
5. Villanova
6. Texas
7. Kentucky
8. Oregon
9. Purdue
10. Alabama

Coach me up on Tenn what do they have too lazy to look it up and you guys are probably more insightful than bloggers anyway

Coach me up on Tenn what do they have too lazy to look it up and you guys are probably more insightful than bloggers anyway

Justin Powell is transferring in from Auburn. One of the best transfers in the country, IMO. Big-guard, versatile, and can shoot lights-out. Shot north of 44% from three.

Kennedy Chandler is a top 10 recruit and widely considered the top-rated point guard in the 2021 class.

Fulkerson returns. He had a bit of a down season, but still relatively efficient. He was 1st Team All-Conference in 2020.

Victor Bailey, Josiah Jordan-James, and Santiago Vescovi all return. Bailey is known as a sharp-shooter, although his percentages from last year may not necessarily indicate that. JJJ is an all-around player who does a little bit of everything. His usage needs to go up. Vescovi is a decent facilitator, although lacking a bit in athleticism. All three of those guys started at some point during last year.

If it were up to me, I'd go with this for a starting lineup: Kennedy Chandler, Victor Bailey, Justin Powell, JJJ, John Fulkerson. Vescovi would be a quality guard off the bench. UT will also have two top-40 bigs coming in (Jonas Aidoo and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield). They should be nice complimentary players to Fulkerson. I currently have them as the #12 rated team in the country. The ceiling on this team is much higher than some teams above them, however. Final Four potential, no question.

Reactions: KisteK
Yea hes gotta make the pieces fit, which he usually does quite well. My only concern if i was a UK fan 🤢 would be you have so many players i dont see where the mins will come from for some. But thats just about the best problem you can have as a coach.
Not a concern as a fan. Play who is hot.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Productive big men are staying in college a lot longer than the guards. Pretty easy to identify several dynamic frontcourt duos.

Michigan: Moussa Diabate, Hunter Dickinson (I feel like Diabate will eventually start)

Now, can the same thing be said about dynamic backcourts? I don't even know where I'd begin with the top backcourts. I'm certain this is wrong, but these might be my top 10 backcourts.

1. Kansas
2. UCLA
3. Tennessee
4. Gonzaga
5. Villanova
6. Texas
7. Kentucky
8. Oregon
9. Purdue
10. Alabama

I don’t think Diabate starts unless there’s an injury

Lol you clearly don’t follow the Big Ten

1. Kansas
2. UCLA
3. Tennessee
4. Gonzaga
5. Villanova
6. Texas
7. Kentucky
8. Oregon
9. Purdue
10. Alabama
Uhhh Purdue’s front court will be elite. Their backcourt is the question mark, even with Ivey

Last edited:

Interesting take. So you think Houston is more likely to be 1st team All B1G?

This will be interesting to follow. I’m biased but not sure how It’s a better supporting cast. Yeah, some highly ranked recruits but none of those guys are proven

Interesting take. So you think Houston is more likely to be 1st team All B1G?
So coincidentally Jaden Ivy and Caleb Houstan just played in the FIBA U19 World Cup where the USA knocked out Canada in the Semis and won the tournament.

Ivey shot better from the field but Houstan shot better from the line and averaged more points, rebounds, assists and steals for Team Canada. Houstan was a higher usage player for Canada so its tough to really draw a direct comparison.

Actually I take back my statement that I would clearly prefer Houstan over Ivey, its probably going to be pretty close. Both are projected to be top 10 NBA picks though obviously its still early.

So coincidentally Jaden Ivy and Caleb Houstan just played in the FIBA U19 World Cup where the USA knocked out Canada in the Semis and won the tournament.

Ivey shot better from the field but Houstan shot better from the line and averaged more points, rebounds, assists and steals for Team Canada. Houstan was a higher usage player for Canada so its tough to really draw a direct comparison.

Actually I take back my statement that I would clearly prefer Houstan over Ivey, its probably going to be pretty close. Both are projected to be top 10 NBA picks though obviously its still early.

I’m curious to see how Houston fits at Michigan. Playing on a Canadian team with some pretty talented players, he took 25 more shots than the next closest player in 7 games, yet finished 9th on the team in FG %. Dickinson should get the bulk of the touches at Michigan but will he?

And as you noted, Houston played almost twice as many minutes per game as Ivey because Jamie Dixon sucks.

I don’t think Diabate starts unless there’s an injury

I'm guessing Johns will start the season. He's okay. Just think Diabate will take over at some point.

Uhhh Purdue’s front court will be elite. Their backcourt is the question mark, even with Ivey

Obviously Trevion Williams is elite. And Zach Edey is about as good as it gets for a backup, but you can't play them simultaneously.

If Mason Gillis is starting at the 4, then I'd say Purdue doesn't have a top 10 frontcourt. If Caleb Furst is starting, and if he's a huge upgrade over Gillis, then maybe. I suspect Furst will start at the 4, just not exactly sure how productive he'll be as a first-year player.

This will be interesting to follow. I’m biased but not sure how It’s a better supporting cast. Yeah, some highly ranked recruits but none of those guys are proven

Michigan and Purdue are the two front-runners for winning the Big Ten, no question. You could argue that Purdue is more likely to have two All-Americans than Michigan. I think that would be fair.

But after Williams and Ivey, I don't really see anyone that is likely to contend for an all-conference position. Michigan has Hunter Dickinson, likely an All-American. I could also see Caleb Houstan, or DeVante' Jones, or Eli Brooks receiving all-league honors. So, I guess another way of saying it is I like Michigan #4 player over Purdue's #3 player.

I'm guessing Johns will start the season. He's okay. Just think Diabate will take over at some point.

Obviously Trevion Williams is elite. And Zach Edey is about as good as it gets for a backup, but you can't play them simultaneously.

If Mason Gillis is starting at the 4, then I'd say Purdue doesn't have a top 10 frontcourt. If Caleb Furst is starting, and if he's a huge upgrade over Gillis, then maybe. I suspect Furst will start at the 4, just not exactly sure how productive he'll be as a first-year player.

Michigan and Purdue are the two front-runners for winning the Big Ten, no question. You could argue that Purdue is more likely to have two All-Americans than Michigan. I think that would be fair.

But after Williams and Ivey, I don't really see anyone that is likely to contend for an all-conference position. Michigan has Hunter Dickinson, likely an All-American. I could also see Caleb Houstan, or DeVante' Jones, or Eli Brooks receiving all-league honors. So, I guess another way of saying it is I like Michigan #4 player over Purdue's #3 player.

Made a whole post on Johns on our home board. As a starter he averages ~10ppg and 4 rpg on 50% from the field and 35% from three. He's a bit underrated because we've had such good wings ahead of him.

I think that’s a fair take. I think Purdue has a guy in Brandon Newman with the talent to make that step. Was a redshirt freshman last year that shot 38% from three and possesses the athleticism to do more than just be a perimeter guy. Showed flashes like when he scored 21 points in the 2nd half against Minny last year and had 29 for the game.

I think Sasha is what he is at this point which is an elite shooter that does a lot of the little things but just doesn’t have that same ceiling.

Both Furst & Kaufman have the talent to do so in the future but I don’t think that’ll be their roles on the team this year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Made a whole post on Johns on our home board. As a starter he averages ~10ppg and 4 rpg on 50% from the field and 35% from three. He's a bit underrated because we've had such good wings ahead of him.

Not exactly gaudy numbers. He has career shooting averages of 50% and 35% anyway, so it doesn't appear that starting does a whole lot to his percentages. He's good enough to start, I'll grant you that. Most likely the #5 option on the team. Just not sure he'll be able to hold off a potential first rounder from stealing his minutes for the entirety of the season.

Not exactly gaudy numbers. He has career shooting averages of 50% and 35% anyway, so it doesn't appear that starting does a whole lot to his percentages. He's good enough to start, I'll grant you that. Most likely the #5 option on the team. Just not sure he'll be able to hold off a potential first rounder from stealing his minutes for the entirety of the season.

If Johns left and you told me I could get 10ppg on 50% from the field from his replacement I’d take it and run.

WVU being underrated as always. Will easily be a top 25 team by seasons end. Culver isn't a big loss. Mcbride opting for NBA definitely is but between the transfers we got and 3 other starters returning, we will be fine. I see big time production from Sherman and Mcneal this year.

Last edited:
WVU being underrated as always. Will easily be a top 25 team by seasons end. Culver isn't a big loss. Mcbride opting for NBA definitely is but between our transfers we got and 3 other starters returning, we will be fine. I see big time production from Sherman and Mcneal this year.
Hard year to rank. There are a ton of teams who have an argument for top 25.

1.)Gonzaga
2.)Duke
3.)Illinois
4.)Michigan
5.)Kansas
6.)UCLA
7.)Baylor
8.)Tennessee
9.)Kentucky
10.)Purdue
11.)Texas
12.)Villanova
13.)Ohio State
14.)Alabama
15.)Maryland
16.)Michigan State
17.)North Carolina
18.)Oregon
19.)Texas Tech
20.)Houston
21.) Auburn
22.)Florida State
23.)Memphis
24.)Virginia Tech
25.)Indiana

I’m curious to see how Houston fits at Michigan. Playing on a Canadian team with some pretty talented players, he took 25 more shots than the next closest player in 7 games, yet finished 9th on the team in FG %. Dickinson should get the bulk of the touches at Michigan but will he?

And as you noted, Houston played almost twice as many minutes per game as Ivey because Jamie Dixon sucks.

Houston shot 45% from 3 on significant volume against top competition at Montverde. In the tournament he was forced into a role of being the primary playmaker and the focus of the defense which likely hurt his shooting. Not worried about his shooting long term as he is going to get a ton of wide open catch and shoot 3s at Michigan.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
They are unproven but we’re talking about 3 McDonalds AA’s and a 4th guy who is top 50 in Collins. The odds are pretty high that at least 2 of them hit big. That’s not to mention little used Zeb Jackson and Terrance Williams who were top 100 recruits last year and will be competing for bigger roles this year.

Are you trolling?

Depends. Houstan played for Montverde, Diabate played for IMG Academy, and Collins played for Air Nado. Those teams all played a gauntlet of a prep schedule this year and all shined. Houstan just played well in the Fiba event, too. Those three have been about as challenged/proven as they could be at their level.

Last edited:
KU-Texas going to be a lot of fun 2-3 games a year while Beard and Self are around.

1. Gonzaga
2. Kansas
3. Texas
4. UCLA
5. Michigan
6. Villanova
7. Kentucky
8. Oregon
9. Baylor
10. Purdue
11. Illinois
12. Duke
13. Arkansas
14. Alabama
15. Tennessee
16. North Carolina
17. Florida State
18. Ohio State
19. Houston
20. Auburn
21. St. Bonaventure
22. Virginia Tech
23. Mississippi State
24. West Virginia
25. UConn

I didn't give this a ton of thought. I will go through all the transfers more closely when the season approaches.

I've been big on Johns from day one brother...You know this.

Askew shoukd transfer again before classes start.

I assume thats legal bc mccafferry little brother transferred to Louisville from nebraska after the season, figured out he wasnt beating out cunningham for the starters role, and transferred to rice. And no classes start so i assume its just like a decommit or something and he can play immediately at Rice, where had he waited till classes started hed had to sit a year nc it would be considered two transfers.

I might be way off on all this, and am basing it strictly off of the younger mccaffererys pitt stop in louisville for a couple month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT