ADVERTISEMENT

What's your evolution of cars you drove?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Elders can leave out the fillers.

First car
Second

Next to last car
Last/current car.

How long do you keep a car and has it changed over the years. ie younger keep it longer, become grown ups and start leasing/keeping it foreve?

Also driving habits change. married, had babies, had to commute father, retire commutel less.

Last edited:
1990 Plymouth Acclaim
1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that burned more oil than gas and I loved every second I drove it
... couple more Wranglers and couple more cars...
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (bought a camper trailer and needed more towing capacity)

I get a new car about every 3 years, I get antsy and have never bought a completely new car. If I see an intriguing deal (like can't pass up deal) I'll switch out. I am also lucky enough to have an income that allows for my bad habits. Although, it has been rare for me to lose money on a deal when it's all said it done. I lost some money on my last switch since it was a new need.

1990 Plymouth Acclaim
1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that burned more oil than gas and I loved every second I drove it
... couple more Wranglers and couple more cars...
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (bought a camper trailer and needed more towing capacity)

I get a new car about every 3 years, I get antsy and have never bought a completely new car. If I see an intriguing deal (like can't pass up deal) I'll switch out. I am also lucky enough to have an income that allows for my bad habits. Although, it has been rare for me to lose money on a deal when it's all said it done. I lost some money on my last switch since it was a new need.
With my commute I buy disposable cars. My younger years I had pride, they're now just transportation.

all said and done the cars just do a job.

With that said, I would drive a 1990 Acclaim today.

I have had just one car so far.
It's a 2002 Mustang convertible as a going-to-college gift from a rich relative. I drove it from 2004 to 2013, from college (UW) to grad school (Columbia) to a job in Boston. Then I sold it when I got married and moved back to NYC. Haven't had a need for a car since.

1981 Jeep Grand Wagoneer --1st car 16-17yrs old
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara --18-23 yrs old
2004 BMW X5--23-27 yrs old
2006 Hummer H3--27-31 yrs old
2009 Hummer H2 SUT 31-37 yrs old

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
'74 Plymouth Scamp
'86 S10
demo demo demo
'04 grand am
'10 cobat
'14 forte.

When I didin't have demos was around the time it was all about spend the less amount of money per mile.

Reactions: toonces11
1975 Chevy Nova-Piece of crap that only ran on 7 of the 8 cylinders. Thing would fly though.

1985-Mercury Cougar-Another junky ride. Hated it.

Firebird with T-Tops. Loved it but totaled it.

Some red car I don't really remember. It had leather though, which was sweet.

1999 Nissan Pathfinder-Really enjoyed this vehicle and drove it until it died.

2016-Kia Sorento-Loved it. Great vehicle IMO

Now I have a 2019 Silver Sorento. I like it but honestly like the 2016 better.

1984 Toyota Corolla (16 years old) - Had it 6 months then totaled it.
1987 Toyota Corolla (16-23 years old) - Fun times in this car.
1996 Nissan Altima (23-26 years old) - The first car I ever bought.
2004 Acura TSX (26-35 years old) - My first nice car. Put 200K miles on it.
2007 Honda Accord (35-40 years old) - Got it for a damn good deal. Put 100K miles on it.
2019 Honda CRV (40 years old) - Got it for the safety ratings. I'll probably have this until 2030.

I have had just one car so far.
It's a 2002 Mustang convertible as a going-to-college gift from a rich relative. I drove it from 2004 to 2013, from college (UW) to grad school (Columbia) to a job in Boston. Then I sold it when I got married and moved back to NYC. Haven't had a need for a car since.
That's awesome.

1975 Chevy Nova-Piece of crap that only ran on 7 of the 8 cylinders. Thing would fly though.

1985-Mercury Cougar-Another junky ride. Hated it.

Firebird with T-Tops. Loved it but totaled it.

Some red car I don't really remember. It had leather though, which was sweet.

1999 Nissan Pathfinder-Really enjoyed this vehicle and drove it until it died.

2016-Kia Sorento-Loved it. Great vehicle IMO

Now I have a 2019 Silver Sorento. I like it but honestly like the 2016 better.
I have to ask, How did you total your Firefird? Is there a story behind that?

2007 Honda Accord (35-40 years old) - Got it for a damn good deal. Put 100K miles on it.
2019 Honda CRV (40 years old) - Got it for the safety ratings. I'll probably have this until 2030.
OK this ties in to above posts. How did you all total your cars?

My wife has the '19 CRV. I love it. She has driven CRVs for years and I didn't care for them at all but the 2019 version is much improved IMO.

I also gotta ask is there one car that was your favorite and even as an adult you'd rock that bitch out with your cock out. I truly miss my '74 scamp

My first car (above) was a hand me down

Reactions: theetommyt
OK this ties in to above posts. How did you all total your cars?

I totaled a bunch. I've had like 13 wrecks. Most just out in the country flying off roads. Only had one while drinking. I did total two hitting other people, though only one was exclusively my fault. The worse that wasn't all my fault was while I was passing in a passing zone but the dude turned into his driveway when I passed. He did not have a blinker on though. However, he turned it on afterwards and lied about it so they ruled no one to blame. Pissed me off.

1981 Jeep Grand Wagoneer --1st car 16-17yrs old
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara --18-23 yrs old
2004 BMW X5--23-27 yrs old
2006 Hummer H3--27-31 yrs old
2009 Hummer H2 SUT 31-37 yrs old
You like the H3 or H2 better? I'm excited about the new re-branding.

One last thing, Here's my card, lurkeraspect and for a very affordable price I can get you in your dream car again,new or old. PM for contact info. SmokinSmile You're very close to relieving your dreams again.

I also gotta ask is there one car that was your favorite and even as an adult you'd rock that bitch out with your cock out. I truly miss my '74 scamp

My first car (above) was a hand me down
I had an 03 Wrangler Sahara that I had lifted, accessorized, etc. I use to love the winters just driving around and pulling SUV's out of the snow. My favorite time was when someone took a 4runner through a cornfield in a foot of snow. I pulled that sucker a hundred yards out of the field and into the road. The 4Runner prob would have been fine but the guy had no idea what he was doing off the road. Nice guy, though.

I had an 03 Wrangler Sahara that I had lifted, accessorized, etc. I use to love the winters just driving around and pulling SUV's out of the snow. My favorite time was when someone took a 4runner through a cornfield in a foot of snow. I pulled that sucker a hundred yards out of the field and into the road. The 4Runner prob would have been fine but the guy had no idea what he was doing off the road. Nice guy, though.
That had to be fun.

My wife has the '19 CRV. I love it. She has driven CRVs for years and I didn't care for them at all but the 2019 version is much improved IMO.
I miss my old car but it is definitely an upgrade. This is the first car I've had with the camera for reversing. I can't tell you how much I hate that so far. Also, when you're on cruise control you'll be going 75 down the highway and you'll come up on somebody 100 yards ahead doing 74. This will be out in the middle of nowhere West Texas. My car will sense that car going slower and it will literally hit the brakes for me to the point where I'm doing like 57 within a few seconds. I had to turn that off.

It is a nice car though with a ton of room. I bought it for a specific reason and it will live up to its expectations.

I outran a cop, hide under a bridge in my s10, watched that f'r fly by. I went home on the backroads.

I pegged my '74 scamp at 120. also pegged my first motorcycle out too. I would never do either of those today.
My top speed record was 138 in the Acura in southern Oklahoma down I-35. That was around 2007. I don't think I've broken 100 anytime in the last 10 years.

1994 Ford Ranger (16-23)
1999 Nissan Altima (23-28) - Transmission shit out on me.
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid (28-present)

The Escape has been great, but I do not drive it much at all anymore. I have driven just over 9,000 miles in the past 2.5 years living in Reno.
If something was to ever happen to this vehicle I would probably just sell it and we would be a one vehicle family for a few.

I did my most reckless driving before I tasted alcohol.

One DUI would take away my state salesman licence.

ask the manufacturers for not having a higher speedometer.
One of my best friends in high school had a 1985 Mercury Cougar. The speedometer topped out at 85 MPH. I think that was probably the slowest average speed for us in that car while we drove around OKC.

16 - 19: 1997 Ford Taurus. Dents in three of the four doors but it was a free car. So no complaints! Eventually it broke down and died.

19 - 25: 2004 Dodge Dakota. 5 speed 3.7L. Wasn’t a big truck but a lot of fun to drive. Unless I was in traffic. The engine started breaking down in the summer of 2018 and it was going to cost a lot to fix. Time for a new car.

25 - 27: 2017 Nissan Altima. Wanted a reliable car with good gas mileage. Financially made sense for me at the time. I missed having a truck.

27: Bought my 2016 F-150 just about a month ago. She’s a beauty. Thought about getting a Chevy Colorado but I’m a pretty big guy and anything less than a full sized pickup would have been uncomfortable. I will have this truck for a long time.

1980 Pontiac Sunbird
1985 Chevrolet Camaro
1995 Nissan Maxima
2008 Nissan Maxima
2018 Nissan Murano

I buy my cars new because I don’t like car payments. My 08 Maxima has 178,000 miles and I use it to drive to work, runs good but it burns super unleaded which is expensive. I put 215,000 miles on my 95 Maxima, drove it from Cali to NC when I got my job transfer in 05. Nissans have been good to me to say the least.

You like the H3 or H2 better? I'm excited about the new re-branding.
H2 hands down. I love my truck and cant bring myself to get rid of it. Just rolled over 150k miles. Tows anything Ive ever needed it to. Great Bose sound system. Its now 11 yrs old and still doesn't look dated. The H3 was okay---just grossly underpowered.

Reactions: theetommyt
Never quite totaled a vehicle, but I’ve done some damage. Was a deer magnet when I lived in the country. Hit 3 or 4 in the span of a few years.

I’ve never had a “cool” car. It’s never really been a priority. Mostly Hondas and Toyotas. Usually just thinking about fuel economy and durability. First car I drove was a Chevy Astro van I dubbed the Silver Bullet.

Light blue ‘92 Ford Taurus—2 years in high school
Forest Green ‘96 Ford Explorer—first year of college then transmission shit the bed (Exploder)

Black on black ‘99 VW Jetta VR6- honestly one of my favorite cars. Had it about a year and half and was driving home on the Gene Snyder late one night, and a deer jumped out in front of me totaling the car. ****ing sucked.

Green ‘97 VW Jetta. Had it for a couple years before I moved out to California. Sold it to my younger cousin.

‘04 Silver Honda Accord-Had this car for about 5 years...throughout grad school in Berkeley. Hardly put any miles on it bc I never wanted to lose my parking spot. Sold it to a guy in Hayward.

Current car: ‘13 VW GTI Navy Blue...

(6 speed, gets great gas mileage, still hardly ever drive it....maybe put 2500-3000 miles a year on it.)

Light blue ‘92 Ford Taurus—2 years in high school
Forest Green ‘96 Ford Explorer—first year of college then transmission shit the bed (Exploder)

Black on black ‘99 VW Jetta VR6- honestly one of my favorite cars. Had it about a year and half and was driving home on the Gene Snyder late one night, and a deer jumped out in front of me totaling the car. ****ing sucked.

Green ‘97 VW Jetta. Had it for a couple years before I moved out to California. Sold it to my younger cousin.

‘04 Silver Honda Accord-Had this car for about 5 years...throughout grad school in Berkeley. Hardly put any miles on it bc I never wanted to lose my parking spot. Sold it to a guy in Hayward.

Current car: ‘13 VW GTI Navy Blue...

(6 speed, gets great gas mileage, still hardly ever drive it....maybe put 2500-3000 miles a year on it.)
Nuts. I easily put 15,000 in last year on my Altima. Hoping I cut that back at least a tad now that I have a truck. My problem is I live far away from work and pretty much all of my friends. You know Louisville. I live in Fern Creek, work in St. Matthews, and most of my friends are on the east end.

ADVERTISEMENT