ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Mike White/UF?

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
I have met and spoken with Mike White about hoops on several occasions. He's as sharp as they come. Which is why it's so surprising to see him doing such a poor job this season.

Anyone UF fans have any thoughts? Fans of SEC teams? I just don't get it. That's a pretty talented roster down in Gainesville and they can't seem to get out of their own way.

I have met and spoken with Mike White about hoops on several occasions. He's as sharp as they come. Which is why it's so surprising to see him doing such a poor job this season.

Anyone UF fans have any thoughts? Fans of SEC teams? I just don't get it. That's a pretty talented roster down in Gainesville and they can't seem to get out of their own way.

They need their big guy. These past couple of games they haven't been able to rely on their 3pt shooting and it's cost them.

They need their big guy. These past couple of games they haven't been able to rely on their 3pt shooting and it's cost them.

They have Gak and Kavarrius Hayes--both good recruits and both 6'9+. Can White not get them to contribute at all?

Mike White is currently grounded for not cleaning his room when asked. His mother hasnt been letting him stay up past his bedtime to prep for opponents and its cost Florida.

Hes a good kid though and Im sure he will get it figured out.

IMO, it’s three reasons. One is that I think he thought Egbunu would become back way before now and part of the plan was to hang on until he got back. Without him, we do have decent big men, but nothing to write hone shoutouts. Two, this team has no vocal/emotional leaders. The team, even in big games or going through big runs, just goes through the motions. Third, the team simply isn’t that talented. Sure, we have 4 or 5 guys that could hit a bunch of threes in one game, but we MAYBE have one NBA player in Hudson. It’s a bunch of good, not great, college players.

IMO, it’s three reasons. One is that I think he thought Egbunu would become back way before now and part of the plan was to hang on until he got back. Without him, we do have decent big men, but nothing to write hone shoutouts. Two, this team has no vocal/emotional leaders. The team, even in big games or going through big runs, just goes through the motions. Third, the team simply isn’t that talented. Sure, we have 4 or 5 guys that could hit a bunch of threes in one game, but we MAYBE have one NBA player in Hudson. It’s a bunch of good, not great, college players.

I’ll give you the Egbunu injury. But come on. Y’all have like 6 consensus top 100 players.

FSU has 4 consensus top 100 players and one of them was exactly 100. And we also had our starting big man miss nearly 2 months.

Don’t give me this “simply isn’t that talented.” It may not be talent like the 2006/07 teams, but there is plenty of talent on this UF roster.

I’ll give you the Egbunu injury. But come on. Y’all have like 6 consensus top 100 players.

FSU has 4 consensus top 100 players and one of them was exactly 100. And we also had our starting big man miss nearly 2 months.

Don’t give me this “simply isn’t that talented.” It may not be talent like the 2006/07 teams, but there is plenty of talent on this UF roster.

Besides FSU beating us very early in the year, it’s not like they’re having any better of a year so I don't really understand the comparison. And as Georgia, South Carolina and Loyola-Chicago showed, this is the worst Florida home team in 20 years. Not to mention Bama beat the hell out of us at home too.

We’re talented enough to beat good teams, which we have, but not so talented to be a guaranteed top 15 team. We don’t have the talent to go out and dominate most nights. We have the talent that if they play really well we CAN dominate, but that’s far from a guarantee.

Of our players that average 15 or minutes, they were 3.5 stars. Of FSU's players that average 15 or more minutes, they were 3.57 stars. You're stuck in some alternate universe if you think we are a stacked team. We are just a team that very rarely misses the tournament since 2000 and you think we pull the talent of the blue bloods, but we don't.

I think he (and Florida) has had quite a rebound.

Now 10 Q1 wins, good for 3rd in the country behind UNC and Kansas.

I think he (and Florida) has had quite a rebound.

Now 10 Q1 wins, good for 3rd in the country behind UNC and Kansas.

This is how the team should have looked most of the year. Very talented bunch with a lot of experience to boot.

Bump.

Seems like there is a lot of frustration among Gator fans (at least on the message boards) with White. Is his seat getting warm? @FlGator22

This one was perplexing. I have been a big proponent of White’s because he seemed to do the best he could with a guard oriented roster. He finally has this roster and now we look just as bad offensively. His DDO offense is horrible, especially with Nembhard. He isn’t on the hot seat, but say he somehow missed the tourney with this roster he would be. It’s super early and 75% of this roster is new, but if things don’t get better (a lot) I’ll be off the White train. I don’t know who we could get that is for sure better though.

Reactions: Montana81
Give it some more time this season. If it doesn’t gel then maybe you do have a problem but it is so early in the season with a lot of new faces.

Give it some more time this season. If it doesn’t gel then maybe you do have a problem but it is so early in the season with a lot of new faces.

This is my hope. We are really more of a Kentucky/Duke roster this year in terms of new faces and we aren’t as talented so I wouldn’t be shocked if it took time. We play at UConn next week so lose that and things might get bad.

Mike White is currently grounded for not cleaning his room when asked. His mother hasnt been letting him stay up past his bedtime to prep for opponents and its cost Florida.

Hes a good kid though and Im sure he will get it figured out.

Swear to god, I went to like this post again before I realized the thread was from last year and that the user may or may not be banned.

This one was perplexing. I have been a big proponent of White’s because he seemed to do the best he could with a guard oriented roster. He finally has this roster and now we look just as bad offensively. His DDO offense is horrible, especially with Nembhard. He isn’t on the hot seat, but say he somehow missed the tourney with this roster he would be. It’s super early and 75% of this roster is new, but if things don’t get better (a lot) I’ll be off the White train. I don’t know who we could get that is for sure better though.

Missed the tourney?! This is a team widely discussed as a Final Four contender. Playing in the SEC, I don’t see any chance of UF totally missing the tourney.

Frankly, I was thinking the seat might be warm if y’all made it in as like a 6 or 7 seed and got bounced in the first round.

It’s just so perplexing to me. I’ve stated on record here that I love talking to Mike White. He is as sharp a basketball mind as they come and is just a flat out good guy. If I were still coaching high school ball, I’d want my players to go play for someone like White or Ham.

But something just isn’t clicking at UF. 6 straight losses to FSU with an equal or better roster every single time. 16 losses last year. And an offense that, while it’s still early, looks even worse this year. I mean this is a team with 3 five star guys and Kerry Blackshear. Idk. It’s weird.

This is my hope. We are really more of a Kentucky/Duke roster this year in terms of new faces and we aren’t as talented so I wouldn’t be shocked if it took time. We play at UConn next week so lose that and things might get bad.

On paper I think y’all are every bit as talented as Duke. At least with your first 6-7 guys. Nembhard was supposed to be a one and done last year and looks like he’s regressed for his second year.

Missed the tourney?! This is a team widely discussed as a Final Four contender. Playing in the SEC, I don’t see any chance of UF totally missing the tourney.

Frankly, I was thinking the seat might be warm if y’all made it in as like a 6 or 7 seed and got bounced in the first round.

It’s just so perplexing to me. I’ve stated on record here that I love talking to Mike White. He is as sharp a basketball mind as they come and is just a flat out good guy. If I were still coaching high school ball, I’d want my players to go play for someone like White or Ham.

But something just isn’t clicking at UF. 6 straight losses to FSU with an equal or better roster every single time. 16 losses last year. And an offense that, while it’s still early, looks even worse this year. I mean this is a team with 3 five star guys and Kerry Blackshear. Idk. It’s weird.

Florida looked unbeatable prior to Egbunu’s injury so I thought White would better use Blackshear, but yesterday was bad. To White’s defense, FSU game planned perfectly it seemed. It’ll be interesting to see if anything changes because there simply is no excuse. If Nembhard isn’t working you can go with Mann or Glover. He is going to have to make adjustments to this line up. The pieces are there, just not confident he gets them lined up right.

Reactions: GE Nole
Florida looked unbeatable prior to Egbunu’s injury so I thought White would better use Blackshear, but yesterday was bad. To White’s defense, FSU game planned perfectly it seemed. It’ll be interesting to see if anything changes because there simply is no excuse. If Nembhard isn’t working you can go with Mann or Glover. He is going to have to make adjustments to this line up. The pieces are there, just not confident he gets them lined up right.

When was Egbunu hurt last year?

Hamilton has seen Blackshear quite a few times so he certainly knows how to game plan for him. So that definitely helped. But it’s just the fact that it’s not a one time thing, you know?

Like, it just seems like it’s always something. Shots didn’t fall. Injuries. Guys weren’t ready. Didn’t get em in the right position. It’s always something.

When was Egbunu hurt last year?

Hamilton has seen Blackshear quite a few times so he certainly knows how to game plan for him. So that definitely helped. But it’s just the fact that it’s not a one time thing, you know?

Like, it just seems like it’s always something. Shots didn’t fall. Injuries. Guys weren’t ready. Didn’t get em in the right position. It’s always something.

I mean in the 2016-17 season, which is the last time we had a true scoring threat in the front court.

White did blame himself in the postgame presser so at least he knows. The offense has become a trend and it’s disturbing. This team should not be relying on threes.

I mean in the 2016-17 season, which is the last time we had a true scoring threat in the front court.

White did blame himself in the postgame presser so at least he knows. The offense has become a trend and it’s disturbing. This team should not be relying on threes.

Gotcha.

Yeah he’s always been a great interview.

This thread is too old.
Last year is irrelevant.

New team, new problems!

Sour grapes from a runner up for his services this year, but Blackshear chose between taking over for the two time SEC player or the year or playing in Mike Whites Guard dominated offense. He chose to be a guy primarily setting picks and screens instead of running the offense through him.

Not saying Florida (or FSU since play them as well) won’t kill Tennessee, but he is a much better fit for our scheme than the one he chose and with our two senior guards would have made Tennessee a top 10-15 team.

Good luck to both of you for the year and we will see you Noles in a couple of weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT