ADVERTISEMENT

What's so great about the Midwest?

Necessary Roughness

Sep 14, 2012
Tell Me More The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: arja31121991
Kansas City, MO, Kansas City, KS, Lawrence, KS, The Kansas Jayhawks, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Kansas City Royals.

I think that covers it.

Reactions: arja31121991
Is the Mountain time zone considered midwest? I've driven from NC to CA and vice versa a few times and I always considered when i get to NM that's midwest, that's just me.

A state located in the center of the US isn’t part of the Midwest, but a bunch of states both further from the middle and much further east are midwestern states?

Interesting.

A state located in the center of the US isn’t part of the Midwest, but a bunch of states both further from the middle and much further east are midwestern states?

Interesting.
I wondered the same thing when i was really young. Someone told me it was originally based on population but I don't know.

Interesting.
As someone who has lived in both IL and IA and who has relatives that live in KS, I have always considered KS to be part of the Midwest.

It is interesting though, if you do a Google search for what states constitute the Midwest, you get a million different answers. I would say, at first glance, about half include KS, and the other half doesn't, haha.

Interesting.
It is not based off of maps of modern America. In early America the areas west of the east coast were known as the Midwest and were relatively safe compared to the untamed “west” where surviving is difficult due to lack of infrastructure and a legitimate threat from Natives. The Midwest was relatively safe and somewhat settled by Americans where as the west was “wild”.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
It is not based off of maps of modern America. In early America the areas west of the east coast were known as the Midwest and were relatively safe compared to the untamed “west” where surviving is difficult due to lack of infrastructure and a legitimate threat from Natives. The Midwest was relatively safe and somewhat settled by Americans where as the west was “wild”.

Sounds like all Kansas has to do to be considered Midwest is to cut down on some of the rapes going on in Lawrence.

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger

I realize that’s where it originated. But the vast majority of texts and people today would say that KS is part of the Midwest. Because that’s what makes sense geographically.

Reactions: TheBarnacle
ADVERTISEMENT