ADVERTISEMENT

What would UK fans say about your coach?

wesr

Mar 30, 2004
If your team had their talent and were having this type of season again.

I would say the same thing I’m saying now, maybe come March we will have our shit together!

Something rat related about K then, "This is why everyone that wants to play in the NBA should come to Kentucky. Cal has proven he is the absolute best at developing guys for the NBA while K only has 1 all star."

Then they'd all touch dick tips together and watch 2012 highlight videos on YouTube for 6 hours.

Something rat related about K then, "This is why everyone that wants to play in the NBA should come to Kentucky. Cal has proven he is the absolute best at developing guys for the NBA while K only has 1 all star."

Then they'd all touch dick tips together and watch 2012 highlight videos on YouTube for 6 hours.
That is NOT true. . . you act like we totally ignore the shaft.

Reactions: Jhawks and tw3301

You forgot the faking a back injury so he can pawn the losses off on Capel.

If your team had their talent and were having this type of season again.

When you say "their talent," you seem to be conflating athletic potential with current production, which is lazy but common. And evaluating "talent" in that way has value. For instance, it was clear in his rookie season that Lebron James was one of the most talented players in the world and was a top trade asset in the NBA. But he was far from the best then-current player in the NBA because experience and skill development matter a lot. In fact, experience and skill matter so much that players' productivity (the part that actually matters for winning basketball games) peaks around ages 27-29, while athletically players peak earlier. But if I want to know how a team should be expected to perform, I would want to know more than high school stars.

And we know a few things specific to college basketball that matter. First, young teams tend to do worse than older teams. Second, the biggest leaps in productivity occur between the freshman and sophomore seasons, especially shooting and defense. Third, chemistry absolutely matters. This is related to age and experience, but not exactly the same--a team of 22 year olds who have never played together would do worse than the same 22 year olds that played 4 years together. Fourth, we know that different systems work better for different types of players. For example, the Princeton system is awesome for less athletic and better shooting teams and it limits long, athletic teams for the same reasons--it reduces # of possessions and emphasizes system shots rather than player created shots. See Georgetown.

I mean, seasons like this happen. No reasonable fan of any team should expect to be number one and be the best every year (yes, I'm aware a huge portion of BBN is this way). Seven out of nine years Kentucky has been in contention and able to compete with anyone under Cal. So while this year sucks, it certainly doesn't happen too often.

When you say "their talent," you seem to be conflating athletic potential with current production, which is lazy but common. And evaluating "talent" in that way has value. For instance, it was clear in his rookie season that Lebron James was one of the most talented players in the world and was a top trade asset in the NBA. But he was far from the best then-current player in the NBA because experience and skill development matter a lot. In fact, experience and skill matter so much that players' productivity (the part that actually matters for winning basketball games) peaks around ages 27-29, while athletically players peak earlier. But if I want to know how a team should be expected to perform, I would want to know more than high school stars.

And we know a few things specific to college basketball that matter. First, young teams tend to do worse than older teams. Second, the biggest leaps in productivity occur between the freshman and sophomore seasons, especially shooting and defense. Third, chemistry absolutely matters. This is related to age and experience, but not exactly the same--a team of 22 year olds who have never played together would do worse than the same 22 year olds that played 4 years together. Fourth, we know that different systems work better for different types of players. For example, the Princeton system is awesome for less athletic and better shooting teams and it limits long, athletic teams for the same reasons--it reduces # of possessions and emphasizes system shots rather than player created shots. See Georgetown.

Should I quote some preseason posts? How’s that Diallo NBA draft stock looking? Had he gone go to Duke, UNC, or KU; UK would be clamoring he should have gone to UK and he would have been a top 5 pick. Then they would state this is why top recruits should only go to UK. Truth be told Cal’s pitch isn’t holding up and recruits are taking their talents else where.

Should I quote some preseason posts? How’s that Diallo NBA draft stock looking? Had he gone go to Duke, UNC, or KU; UK would be clamoring he should have gone to UK and he would have been a top 5 pick. Then they would state this is why top recruits should only go to UK. Truth be told Cal’s pitch isn’t holding up and recruits are taking their talents else where.

UK's next years class disagrees. Some recruits are going elsewhere, but isn't that the case every year? o_O

Oh look, another big, bad Rafters strawman getting taken to the woodshed.

Why does OP always post about UK? I see it here and on the main board. First couple of times, I chalked it up to rivals banter, but now I'm starting to think there's some penis envy going on.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

So you have no response. Thanks for playing!

I wasn't aware OP was a Duke fan. While it is certainly true many UK fans say so and so should have gone to UK if they don't pan out somewhere every fanbase has those people who say the same thing about their own. Every team also has counter examples to the very arguments their fans make. Just the way it is. It is all kind of silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT