ADVERTISEMENT

What Teams Make Your Team Their Superbowl?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
I’m not saying every game opponents of UK make us their superbowl, but for 2 straight games I've heard the announcers say about a member of our opponent’s team “He usually doesn’t impact the game” or “he’s usually not that great of a 3 point shooter” while kid proceeds to a career-high night. Kansas fans know what I’m talking about with Brooks. Usually good for about 8-10 points, goes off on KU for a career high 30 (?) then returns to earth the next few games.

How does that level of play sink and surface like a whale coming up for air then disappearing again!?

But you know what I’m talking about? UT looked last night like we did at KU. You guys will be a tough out in the tourney, but why did KU disappear that day? What happened to UK last night!? It’s baffling to me.
Im not sure how it happens...but it is tough to watch. No matter how good you look, you know there is a steaming turd ready to be laid at any point.

Also, its much easier to swallow on the road.

But you know what I’m talking about? UT looked last night like we did at KU. You guys will be a tough out in the tourney, but why did KU disappear that day? What happened to UK last night!? It’s baffling to me.

At least it was a road game.

I think it's almost impossible for a team to match the intensity of an opponent that they blew out in the first matchup. Being at home and having a thirst for revenge is a big psychological edge.

I expected a lot more energy from KU vs Kentucky. It was a little baffling. They were far more engaged vs Missouri even. And of course Baylor, a week later. It seems like they channel Self's emotions. Self said before the Missouri game that it was the most emotional game of his career, and they came out intensely focused and played like gangbusters. And he places way more emphasis on league games than OOC games, including Kentucky, and it sure seemed like they were far more motivated to play Baylor.

Now with Brooks/Toppin/etc hitting everything they threw up, it may not have mattered if they brought that level of energy. I do think a rematch would be a lot more competitive though. KU would have the underdog/revenge mentality that Tennessee had last night.

Kansas
Baylor
Texas (they will say they don’t)
Any other school in Texas we play.

What happened is they are kids......Also,the game was at Tenn-----not Kentucky. As for KU/UK----sometimes when a team jumps on you, like UK did,and you are at home----you panic, and try and get it all back at once----guys start trying to d more than capable----and it snowballs on you. Suddenly you go from being down 8----to 16------to 20, and its game over.

UK is gonna be just fine....So is Kansas.

Every team Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas play, unless its versus each other---its their "superbowl", so to speak....Hell even with Indiana. People still love beating IU----even though we suck ass. When you have built the brand, traditions said schools mentioned have built, everyone gives you their best shot....Rather its Vandy vs UK, Or Clemson vs UNC, Or Wake vs Duke,or KU vs OSU----those games to those teams, are as big to them as UK vs Duke, Kansas/UNC, etc, etc....

What kills me is when I hear----"Indiana is Purdue's SB......Or UK is UL's SB----as if the game isn't just as big for Indiana or UK. Its dumb to downplay the significance.....the meaning of the game....Especially as a fan. If you are a UK fan, or an IU fan, or Purdue fan, etc, etc....And you don't think, or think the game isn't as big for you, as it is for the other, you are just being stupid.

Kentucky, they averaged about 3/4 of a full arena all pre conference, their only sellout was when they thought we were going to be playing them.

Just about every team. Just about every team makes up rally towels and t-shirts and all sorts of nonsense commemorating their game with us. Their arenas are always full and rocking, and if there is an attendance record available, we set it. The game is also their most watched of the year. Only one off the top of my head that it isn’t for is maybe Louisville, bc theirs would be UK.

Last edited:
Kentucky, they averaged about 3/4 of a full arena all pre conference, their only sellout was when they thought we were going to be playing them.
Louisville. Their coach even went on social media to celebrate after they finally won one.

Reactions: JC for 3
Rutgers always seems to have a guy go off against Purdue. I'm curious to see who it will be this weekend.

Reactions: Joey Bags
So what games does Kansas get up for in the Big 12?

Whoever's really good that year. That's a different question.

You really think the program that's historically dominated every team in the league has a "Super Bowl" in the Big 12? The closest would probably be the Baylor game in AFH this year, because they're national champs.

Whoever's really good that year. That's a different question.

You really think the program that's historically dominated every team in the league has a "Super Bowl" in the Big 12? The closest would probably be the Baylor game in AFH this year, because they're national champs.
So just Baylor in conference? Okay sure.

• Haha
Reactions: ThePhog08
So just Baylor in conference? Okay sure.

A "Super Bowl" is a game that the players/coaches/fans circle on the calendar every year. The fans are at their most raucous and the players exert far more effort than the typical game.

There is no Big 12 team that KU does this for, with exception of maybe Baylor this year because they're national champs.

Last edited:
Kinda like UK looked vs UT in Lexington. I suppose were are each others Super bowl. Glad we are the one wearing the ring now. 😁

Kinda like UK looked vs UT in Lexington. I suppose were are each others Super bowl. Glad we are the one wearing the ring now. 😁
Pssssh, you all were lucky, just wait until we meet in Tampa. UT fans are luckiy it's in not in Nashville or it would an entirely blue crowd.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Pssssh, you all were lucky, just wait until we meet in Tampa. UT fans are luckiy it's in not in Nashville or it would an entirely blue crowd.
Y'all were lucky too. It was just "bad luck", you having to play us in TBA. 😁

Easily Marquette. W/O football, basketball is all they have.

ADVERTISEMENT