ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Again, I'm still 100% on Calipari's nuts.

Last year, UNC was still on Roy's. Down years happen. I understand the challenges of this year. Yes, we're extremely young. Even by our standards and yes we didn't get the off season summer practices and while others didn't as well, it shows up more with inexperience.

Mix in our schedule so far (minus GT), players upset with playing time, whatever in the hell Calipari's doing with rotations and it's a perfect storm of sorts.

I'll eat, and move on. I hope we close well, but right now, I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
That's a great point, however, it's getting tiring losing to UT on a constant basis.
th

• Haha
I'm happy living in the present, aren't you? We even have stats. 😁
I'm sure you are. It's a pretty good feeling right? Our hiccups stand out more than others, and understandably why. UT hiccup is the normal and success is the outlier, but that doesn't mean you all can't enjoy it while it last.

I'd like to think everyone wants everyone else to do well, but just not at the expense of their own team and right now, Barnes has Calipari's number. They're really close old friends so maybe we can be too. 😉

I agree that in a normal year with a normal offseason/preseason or a year that UK was allowed to take a summer trip overseas or something, UK probly beats Richmond, GT and ND and maybe splits with KU/unc or maybe drop or win both but still would be much much better than 1-5. Plus there probably would have been plenty of cupcakes in between, and still be top 25 most likely.

The talents there, they just haven’t had time to learn to play as a team yet. Now I’m not suggesting there a sleeping giant final four contender just yet, just that they are a legit tourney team, who I think will compete in the sec, whom besides Tennessee doesn’t seem to have many juggernauts unless Johnson at UF can get back on the court, god willing.

Outside of potential, I see nothing that leads me to believe this is a Final Four team.

We have all the pieces and Calipari loves running with a short rotation, but I don't think we'll get there by the end of the season. JMO

I'm sure you are. It's a pretty good feeling right? Our hiccups stand out more than others, and understandably why. UT hiccup is the normal and success is the outlier, but that doesn't mean you all can't enjoy it while it last.

I'd like to think everyone wants everyone else to do well, but just not at the expense of their own team and right now, Barnes has Calipari's number. They're really close old friends so maybe we can be too. 😉
The only thing I don't like is arrogance. I like sportsmanship. I like banter, give and take. I'll tell you we are going to kick your ass whether I believe it or not. I won't rub it in if we win (unless you act like a shit) and if we lose I'll give you congrats and own the loss.

There may be "blue blood teams". But, there is no such thing as a blue blood fan. Well, if there is such a thing, it is a fan that supports their team when they or up or down.

The only thing I don't like is arrogance. I like sportsmanship. I like banter, give and take. I'll tell you we are going to kick your ass whether I believe it or not. I won't rub it in if we win (unless you act like a shit) and if we lose I'll give you congrats and own the loss.

There may be "blue blood teams". But, there is no such thing as a blue blood fan. Well, if there is such a thing, it is a fan that supports their team when they or up or down.
It's kind of funny you don't like arrogance.

I guess UT's arrogance is different than UK's even though we're both fans.

Also,it's great when fans of teams show up here when doing well.

It's kind of funny you don't like arrogance.

I guess UT's arrogance is different than UK's even though we're both fans.

Also,it's great when fans of teams show up here when doing well.
How do you feel about die "hard fans" that vanish the moment there team hits a bump in the road or only follow the sport that their school excels in?

Living in the past is better than living in the future. At least the past has stats.

If I had to pick I’d rather have a bright future to look ahead to than a great past to look back on.

Just in general not saying you can’t or don’t have both, even if the present is a little murky.

Reactions: cdbearde and della
If I had to pick I’d rather have a bright future to look ahead to than a great past to look back on.

Just in general not saying you can’t or don’t have both, even if the present is a little murky.

Switching sports, but as a Chiefs fan, it's hilarious to go at it with Broncos fans. They desperately try to convince themselves that Chiefs fans would trade places with that crumbling franchise because they had a little more playoff success in the past.

No matter what anyone says, the present and near future is what's most important to any fan. Which is why the Kentucky fanbase is so miserable right now.

Reactions: Villian07
Ehh, I mean yes, we are miserable right now. Its because the product on the floor is just so damned bad. I mean....truly awful basketball. Theyve shown glimpses, maybe well be something resembling a cohesive ball team by March, but this group just feels different.

On our board, I said during the off-season the fans getting all fired up because we're getting a guy from Wake Forest and Creighton 6th man to transfer to be our experience alongside an entire new batch of freshmen are setting themselves up for failure.

I'm more mad at the fans who can't take an honest assessment of things and be realistic about it. I love to poke the bear and shit talk other fan bases online but I'm pretty realistic and level headed in person about UKs programs.

I'd like for Cal to change his modus operandi and get his swagger back instead of trying to become more and more like Bob Huggins. Something has changed. If I believed he wasn't a stubborn sonofabitch I wouldn't say I'm done with him. I'd be happy for him to change and prove me wrong. I'll eat the shit out of that crow. But he won't. And he isn't. And I'm tired of watching shitty basketball.

Well, technically, pretty much everyone can believe they have a bright future. Some UK fans believe we're going to win it every year. Some UL fans think this is going to be the year they finally beat UK. Meaning, the future isn't something to really hang a hat on.

I agree the past can’t be changed and the future can’t be predicted.

But I’d rather be say a Michigan state fan right now than an Indiana fan despite history bc they have emoni bates coming.

And I’d rather be a Gonzaga fan this year than any other team.

Looking forward for good things to happen, albeit not guaranteed, brings me more joy than looking back on good past memories. And I’m just generalizing, not speaking strictly basketball per say, and that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
It’s simple, UK needs multiple top 5 recruits each year along with a few upperclassmen without egos or NBA aspirations to build a contending roster and it hasn’t been able to do that since Kenny Payne left.

Bringing in a bunch of lower 5 stars and starting over with a new roster each year is a recipe for failure.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It’s simple, UK needs multiple top 5 recruits each year along with a few upperclassmen without egos or NBA aspirations to build a contending roster and it hasn’t been able to do that since Kenny Payne left.

Bringing in a bunch of lower 5 stars and starting over with a new roster each year is a recipe for failure.
Meh, better than higher 5 stars and cancelling OOC games. 🤪

Hasn’t Kenny payne only been gone for like 2-3 months? U confusing KP and WWW?

And I’m not sure many college basketball players in P5 have “no nba aspirations” but I know what u mean, they need to have guys stick around longer that are leaving and not even being drafted highly or drafted at all.

Totally agree on the rest of ur post. Cals never much been known for excelling as an underdog, but granted it’s hard to ever be an underdog much when you recruit basically better than anyone ever.

Hasn’t Kenny payne only been gone for like 2-3 months? U confusing KP and WWW?

And I’m not sure many college basketball players in P5 have “no nba aspirations” but I know what u mean, they need to have guys stick around longer that are leaving and not even being drafted highly or drafted at all.

Totally agree on the rest of ur post. Cals never much been known for excelling as an underdog, but granted it’s hard to ever be an underdog much when you recruit basically better than anyone ever.

In 2014, they were the underdog. The little 8 seed that could.

Sure, they were printing 40-0 shirts before the season, but that’s beside the point...

In 2014, they were the underdog. The little 8 seed that could.

Sure, they were printing 40-0 shirts before the season, but that’s beside the point...

I guess. I’m not sure underperforming all season and turning a preseason top 5-10 team (guessing, not sure coming off the bad 2013 season) into an 8 seed and then going on a run in the tourney is a traditional underdog role, but I see your point.

Still not sure that team wasn’t more “talented” than any team they played in the NcaaT, Louisville included. I don’t remember exactly who all was on that UK team besides the Harrison’s, Julius Randle and James Young. As time goes on with the constant turnover, it’s becoming more and more difficult to remember which UK players played with one another.

But at the same time you are right, making the final four as an 8 seed almost has to be considered a Cinderella/underdog type run.

That SS loss stung worse than any Louisville game I’ve watched. We were playing as well as anyone, and had a very good chance of repeating. Then we got dicked by the committee with a 4 seed despite being ranked like 6th in the final regular season poll. It was like the first or second year of the American conference, and the committee either didn’t know how to evaluate the conference or just went out of their way to eff us, not really sure. Just can’t understand how u can be ranked top 10 in the polls and get a four seed.

Then of course UK was in our region, who has/had owned us anyways since cal got to UK (and before, but obv it’s no secret how much worse we’ve faired against Cal at UK).
Then, as I’ve mentioned, the zebras were atrocious. And despite the unkind whistle we still very much had a chance to win the game but shot like 55-60% from the free throw line, aka beat ourselves at the stripe.

Only silver lining in that shot storm of a tourney as a Louisville fan was UConn beating UK in the championship. But even that was bittersweet bc we had dog walked UConn three different times that season. Including 25+ point wins in the last game of the regular season and the American conference championship game aka the last game UConn played before the ncaaT. So it’s not like we beat them in November and they were a totally different team in March. No doubt In my mind had we played em a fourth time we would have beaten em again. We were just a bad matchup for them, when everyone was on the same page that matchup zone Pitino ran really was a thing of beauty.

But anyways sorry for the rant. I’m kind of on the fence about the topic at hand. That UK team making a run to the final four as an eight seed is no doubt impressive, but it’s still a pretty far stretch from a traditional underdog role when you have top 20 picks in Young and Randle and well as 5 star back court in the Harrison’s who, while overrated a bit out of HS imo, were still very talented college players. I think WCS was there as well but he might have been a Frosh too, and he was much rawer coming into college than most uks recruits under cal. So I mean they definitely had “talent” on the roster, but they were also super young, I can’t think of any contributing upperclassmen that season but I could me forgetting someone (briscoe maybe was he still around)

And again when you recruit better than anyone, your probably gonna have one of the most talented rosters in the nation. So at some point it’s hard/silly to criticize Cal for not having a history of teams “over achieve” or make Cinderella runs, or excel as underdogs when he recruits so well his team is rarely ever the “underdog”.

But it’s also hard to argue with duke devils post I quoted that cal has needed top 5 recruits to win at the highest level, not low end five stars. As well as some experienced contributors on the roster as well. But that can be said for any coach imo, of course they are gonna have better teams if they have better players.

Can't help but wonder where they'd be if they were playing Allen day one. Gotta believe they have at least 1 more win, could probably argue a few more wins.

Can't help but wonder where they'd be if they were playing Allen day one. Gotta believe they have at least 1 more win, could probably argue a few more wins.
guy scored over 3000 points in high school and averaged 40+ his last year. Meaning he knows how to put the ball in the basket. That's our main flaw right now. We have zero offense. Our d is top 20 in kenpom. but we can't score.

guy scored over 3000 points in high school and averaged 40+ his last year. Meaning he knows how to put the ball in the basket. That's our main flaw right now. We have zero offense. Our d is top 20 in kenpom. but we can't score.

he was on pace to finish at worst, 2nd on the all time scoring list for the state of Kentucky before he got hurt. And if that pace had improved at all he was going to break the record.

Cal just has little to no respect for the utility of the 3pt shot. And as a freshman that’s the one thing Allen gives this team but it’s HUGE what having even one knockdown shooter on the court can do.

Would've been on track for right around 4,000 if not for the injury midway through senior season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
he was on pace to finish at worst, 2nd on the all time scoring list for the state of Kentucky before he got hurt. And if that pace had improved at all he was going to break the record.

Cal just has little to no respect for the utility of the 3pt shot. And as a freshman that’s the one thing Allen gives this team but it’s HUGE what having even one knockdown shooter on the court can do.
As we seen last night it opens up the interior. I can happily live the rest of my life w/o ever seeing another packed in defense.

Reactions: Montana81
This is where critics have a case probably? The plan going in give the heavy minutes to the higher ranked prospects, maybe took a few too many games to adjust and find some minutes for a guy that gets buckets. Maybe over the long haul it's proven he isn't ready to defend, but you could still get the guy on the court to loosen up defenses?

It will be very interesting to see if this team starts improving in time for the more heralded conference opponents. I gotta assume Allen is in the rotation every game now to at least see if he can give that shooting they were missing.

This team has proven to me I know very little about basketball. I thought Calipari was finally recruiting shooters and this year would be different. It's worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT