ADVERTISEMENT

What if............Pitino had remained at UK.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Where is Calipari? Is he still at UK. Keep in mind, had Rick stayed at UK, he would entering his 29th season. That's probably not likely. No coach asides from Rupp spent more than 12 seasons at UK. BUt just for fun, lets say Rick is still at UK. Or.....He stays 15 seasons, placing him leaving UK 2005. So , with that time frame, does Cal still find his way to UK-----Or is he somewhere else?

Cal has stated many times that UK was the job he worked his whole career to get
so i would say there is a good chance of it, if Donovan did not take the job

IMHO, Donovan would have been the next coach at UK with the blessings and support of Pitino

Where is Calipari? Is he still at UK. Keep in mind, had Rick stayed at UK, he would entering his 29th season. That's probably not likely. No coach asides from Rupp spent more than 12 seasons at UK. BUt just for fun, lets say Rick is still at UK. Or.....He stays 15 seasons, placing him leaving UK 2005. So , with that time frame, does Cal still find his way to UK-----Or is he somewhere else?
UK would be on probation and Pitino would have left the school in shame like he did at Louisville. So glad he went to Louisville. He was at Louisville for 16 years and 0 championships and left them as the laughing stock of college basketball.

IMHO, I think (if he got to do it all over again), Pitino would still be coaching at UK and UK would still be employing him. Calipari would still be saying how he'd really like to coach at UK.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Are you 12 or 13?
Old enough to know you and Zipp are fans of the biggest cheaters in college basketball history. The only school to ever have to vacate a title due to providing prostitutes to 16 year old recruits and then be caught on tape paying recruits while on probation.Not a good look HR.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
UK would be on probation and Pitino would have left the school in shame like he did at Louisville. So glad he went to Louisville. He was at Louisville for 16 years and 0 championships and left them as the laughing stock of college basketball.
How? Why? I mean all we have heard is---"Cal doesn't have to cheat----this is UK". So, are you saying Pitino would have had to cheat, to continue to win(at UK)? Or, that he did cheat(while at UK)? But something tells me your answer will be-----------"He didn't cheat at UK. Didn't have too. But he had to at UL." Which then brings us back to my original question: How would he have had UK on probation?

How? Why? I mean all we have heard is---"Cal doesn't have to cheat----this is UK". So, are you saying Pitino would have had to cheat, to continue to win(at UK)? Or, that he did cheat(while at UK)? But something tells me your answer will be-----------"He didn't cheat at UK. Didn't have too. But he had to at UL." Which then brings us back to my original question: How would he have had UK on probation?
Kinda like Sampson put IU on probation. Remember?

FWIW, Pitino had NCAA sanctions prior to and after UK. Never during. There's no reason to suggest he would have reverted while at UK. Even if Calipari took the UL job, I think Pitino would have been ok with business as usual.

UK gets the death penalty or they win like 5 more titles. I don't think there is a middle ground with the outcome lol. It's sad thinking about Pitino's career. He is/was one of the greatest college coaches ever. But he always was a cheater and it caught up to him multiple ways at UL.

Reactions: kl40504
UK gets the death penalty or they win like 5 more titles. I don't think there is a middle ground with the outcome lol. It's sad thinking about Pitino's career. He is/was one of the greatest college coaches ever. But he always was a cheater and it caught up to him multiple ways at UL.
I also think if Calipari never coached at UK, UK fans would still be calling him a cheater. they would have never took the time to educate themselves.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
FWIW, Pitino had NCAA sanctions prior to and after UK. Never during. There's no reason to suggest he would have reverted while at UK. Even if Calipari took the UL job, I think Pitino would have been ok with business as usual.
A blip at Hawaii. A big blip at UL...

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He might just be the guy that got exposed. And by might I mean definitely. Didn’t do himself any favors though

I don't think Rick would have cheated at UK. After our little incident in the 80's, which btw pales in comparison to what's going on these days, UK became very strong in compliance. Sandy Bell was a bulldog.

But would he have continued success? IDK... Rick hated recruiting and Donovan was the real recruiter. I'm not sure if he could have maintained that level of recruiting. He's mentioned several times, even while coaching UofL, that he regretted leaving UK.

I don't think Rick would have cheated at UK. After our little incident in the 80's, which btw pales in comparison to what's going on these days, UK became very strong in compliance. Sandy Bell was a bulldog.

But would he have continued success? IDK... Rick hated recruiting and Donovan was the real recruiter. I'm not sure if he could have maintained that level of recruiting. He's mentioned several times, even while coaching UofL, that he regretted leaving UK.
Agree. BUT....He would have won. And he would have won a lot. His system was coveted. Kids loved playing his style of ball. Sure recruiting would have slipped, but it still would have been good enough to keep UK at the level he had them. Look, I get why folks loathe the guy. But an ass or not, he can flat out coach. IMO, easily one of the Top 10, if not Top 5, to ever coach the game. If he had stayed, I think UK's at pushing UCLA out the door.

"Little incident" in the 80's. Look, I dont wanna start a pissing match. But, c'mon...It was much, much more than some cash, in an envelop. Even then President David Roselle admitted as much, with this statement:

Dr. David Roselle, the Kentucky president, said the university would not appeal the sanctions. ''Suffice it to say that the University of Kentucky has suffered from a lack of proper administrative control in its athletic program,'' he said.

Not trying to start a fight, brother. But what went on under Eddie Sutton was more than just a "little incident".

Also, I agree---After that, the hiring of CM Newton, and Sandy Bell, UK was gonna stay clear of NCAA hiccups. IMO, had there been a hint of NCAA wrongdoings, Rick would have been gone. And quick.

True. Louisville is a complete joke of a program.

12144331_1504067766582684_1472810220_n.jpg

Agree. BUT....He would have won. And he would have won a lot. His system was coveted. Kids loved playing his style of ball. Sure recruiting would have slipped, but it still would have been good enough to keep UK at the level he had them. Look, I get why folks loathe the guy. But an ass or not, he can flat out coach. IMO, easily one of the Top 10, if not Top 5, to ever coach the game. If he had stayed, I think UK's at pushing UCLA out the door.

"Little incident" in the 80's. Look, I dont wanna start a pissing match. But, c'mon...It was much, much more than some cash, in an envelop. Even then President David Roselle admitted as much, with this statement:

Dr. David Roselle, the Kentucky president, said the university would not appeal the sanctions. ''Suffice it to say that the University of Kentucky has suffered from a lack of proper administrative control in its athletic program,'' he said.

Not trying to start a fight, brother. But what went on under Eddie Sutton was more than just a "little incident".

Also, I agree---After that, the hiring of CM Newton, and Sandy Bell, UK was gonna stay clear of NCAA hiccups. IMO, had there been a hint of NCAA wrongdoings, Rick would have been gone. And quick.

depends on how you look at it
here is the main points that got UK in trouble
a player (Mills) received money
a player (Manual) cheated on his entrance exam (rumors are Sutton knew he cheated TIFWIW)
Casey may have lied to the NCAA
Casey also won a defamation lawsuit against Emory

as a UK fan we deserved to be punished just like UL deserved to be punished
if today the NCAA punished schools like they did UK, then some schools would be getting the death penalty

depends on how you look at it
here is the main points that got UK in trouble
a player (Mills) received money
a player (Manual) cheated on his entrance exam (rumors are Sutton knew he cheated TIFWIW)
Casey may have lied to the NCAA
Casey also won a defamation lawsuit against Emory

as a UK fan we deserved to be punished just like UL deserved to be punished
if today the NCAA punished schools like they did UK, then some schools would be getting the death penalty
This is what gets me with some of you---"If they did other schools, like they did UK...". I find it odd, TBH. For an institution(NCAA) to have such a hard on for a program(UK), you guys sure have been lucky-----I guess? No major issues since 1980's. I mean, seems to me an organization with the reach, and pwer of the NCAA, could have found something to whack you guys with in the past 39 years. I just don't understand why some of you feel like the NCAA hates UK, and is out to get you. Where some of you told as kids, that instead of the boogie man being in the closet----it was the NCAA instead?

The NCAA could have given UK much worse. They chose not too. They weren't so easy with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, in football, and or Kansas(schools severely punished during the same time). Plus lets not forget that UK was on probation in 1976 for primarily the same thing: improper benefits. I am sure the NCAA took that into considerations as well.

TBH, I think UK was punished as they should have been in 1989...I feel UL was punished as they should have been as well. Also we must take into account. Different dudes at the helm for the NCAA in 1989---to now. Rules have changed as well. Comparing the two really isn't a fair comparison.

Reactions: AWilli6995
This is what gets me with some of you---"If they did other schools, like they did UK...". I find it odd, TBH. For an institution(NCAA) to have such a hard on for a program(UK), you guys sure have been lucky-----I guess? No major issues since 1980's. I mean, seems to me an organization with the reach, and pwer of the NCAA, could have found something to whack you guys with in the past 39 years. I just don't understand why some of you feel like the NCAA hates UK, and is out to get you. Where some of you told as kids, that instead of the boogie man being in the closet----it was the NCAA instead?

The NCAA could have given UK much worse. They chose not too. They weren't so easy with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, in football, and or Kansas(schools severely punished during the same time). Plus lets not forget that UK was on probation in 1976 for primarily the same thing: improper benefits. I am sure the NCAA took that into considerations as well.

TBH, I think UK was punished as they should have been in 1989...I feel UL was punished as they should have been as well. Also we must take into account. Different dudes at the helm for the NCAA in 1989---to now. Rules have changed as well. Comparing the two really isn't a fair comparison.

i agree both schools deserved their punishments
my statement on punishing other schools like they did UK has everything to do with how times have changed the NCAA (they have gone soft)

UL has 2 vacated FF's. 2012, 2013.

Would be 3 FF’s and 2 championships had Gorgui not went to the NBA. 2014 wouldn’t have even been close. 1 seed without him. He would’ve taken us to total domination.

I wonder if that would’ve had a different impact on NCAA. It’s one thing to vacate one, but two years in a row would’ve put it in a different light.

ADVERTISEMENT