ADVERTISEMENT

We back baby

RockChalk82

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2019
Silvio just cleared for 19-20

NBA expert last night says Dotson now to be back

Hampton and Wilson maybe on the way?

The basketball gods are with us after the 18-19 implosion.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This makes next week 10x more interesting....

Oooo...we're shakin in our boots.

For someone who whines about trolling, it's funny that you literally offer nothing but trolling.

But keep hoping.Laughing

Not gonna lie, a starting 5 of Dotson, Hampton, Agbaji, De Sousa, and Azubuike would be pretty sick. There's a very real possibility that the Champions Classic might feature the top 4 teams. As of right now, I'll say the top 4 teams, in order, would be Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky.

I know most people believe Hampton is a heavy Kansas lean, but does Dotson returning hurt KU's chances? He publicly said that he likes the idea of playing with other elite guards (ie Dotson), but I've also read he wants to be the primary ball-handler. And that's why eliminated Duke so quickly after Tre Jones announced his intentions to stay for his sophomore year... I know it's a long-shot, but part of me thinks Chris Beard could pull off a major upset. He could offer a much, much bigger role at Tech.

I know most people believe Hampton is a heavy Kansas lean, but does Dotson returning hurt KU's chances? He publicly said that he likes the idea of playing with other elite guards (ie Dotson), but I've also read he wants to be the primary ball-handler. And that's why eliminated Duke so quickly after Tre Jones announced his intentions to stay for his sophomore year... I know it's a long-shot, but part of me thinks Chris Beard could pull off a major upset. He could offer a much, much bigger role at Tech.

Both he and his dad have been quoted saying they actually like the idea of him playing next to Dotson. His dad highlighted KU's experience as a potential leg up on the others. He may not be the primary ballhandler at KU, but he'll be a combo guard and would have every opportunity to star.

I don't think Tech is or ever has been a serious player. I think it's been between Memphis, KU and Australia. And Memphis appears to be out of it.

Not gonna lie, a starting 5 of Dotson, Hampton, Agbaji, De Sousa, and Azubuike would be pretty sick. There's a very real possibility that the Champions Classic might feature the top 4 teams. As of right now, I'll say the top 4 teams, in order, would be Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky.

I think we hover around 5-7 if Nwora and Enoch come back as they should or get a big grad transfer.

Championship Classic will be good then turn around around a month later and should get a top 10 matchup between Louisville/Texas Tech.

Gonna be a good non-conference this year. Big 10 matchup and 2 ACC games too.

Tech is fairly guard loaded as well. Ramsey, Moretti, Nadolny, Edwards etc. Hampton may be better than all of them but there’s no guarantee to start and I think his dad wants that guaranteed.

If it’s true that Rajon didn’t graduate and is staying in the draft he’s heading to Memphis.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Tech is fairly guard loaded as well. Ramsey, Moretti, Nadolny, Edwards etc. Hampton may be better than all of them but there’s no guarantee to start and I think his dad wants that guaranteed.

If it’s true that Rajon didn’t graduate and is staying in the draft he’s heading to Memphis.

Yep

Both he and his dad have been quoted saying they actually like the idea of him playing next to Dotson. His dad highlighted KU's experience as a potential leg up on the others. He may not be the primary ballhandler at KU, but he'll be a combo guard and would have every opportunity to star.

I don't think Tech is or ever has been a serious player. I think it's been between Memphis, KU and Australia. And Memphis appears to be out of it.

You're probably right, I even referenced that quote saying he likes the idea of playing with other elite guards. I just question the consistency of that statement. Duke and Kentucky were cut because their backcourts, at least according to his father, were set. Duke was even leading his recruitment a good chunk of the way... but they were cut shortly after the announcement of Tre Jones returning. I know Duke didn't stop recruiting Hampton, either. They were checking out his EYBL games in Atlanta the week after Jones made his announcement.

And then there's the fact that he said he'll be making a decision in early June, which of course is just a few days after the deadline for NBA prospects to withdraw their names from the early entrant pool. If nothing else, it seems like he wants to see what the rosters will look like before committing... but as others have mentioned, Texas Tech probably isn't a serious candidate until he takes an official visit.

You're probably right, I even referenced that quote saying he likes the idea of playing with other elite guards. I just question the consistency of that statement. Duke and Kentucky were cut because their backcourts, at least according to his father, were set. Duke was even leading his recruitment a good chunk of the way... but they were cut shortly after the announcement of Tre Jones returning. I know Duke didn't stop recruiting Hampton, either. They were checking out his EYBL games in Atlanta the week after Jones made his announcement.

And then there's the fact that he said he'll be making a decision in early June, which of course is just a few days after the deadline for NBA prospects to withdraw their names from the early entrant pool. If nothing else, it seems like he wants to see what the rosters will look like before committing... but as others have mentioned, Texas Tech probably isn't a serious candidate until he takes an official visit.

I'm guessing that experience is the main reason they favor KU over Kentucky and Duke (and Memphis, if Daniels is right).

Plus, his role would be less clear on a team like Kentucky. KU's 2 slot is open and waiting, along with plenty of minutes. There's no chance Grimes comes back. Dotson (if he even returns) is the only KU guard that can realistically demand big minutes. Kentucky has Hagans and two OADs in the backcourt.

And Duke has at least three guards that will expect big minutes, right?

Well, looks like he just moved up his announcement date to May 28.

Timing would seem to favor KU. I don't think he's going on ESPN to announce that he's joining the Sydney Kings.

Well, looks like he just moved up his announcement date to May 28.

Timing would seem to favor KU. I don't think he's going on ESPN to announce that he's joining the Sydney Kings.
I was thinking he might also be waiting to see what happens to KU, but that announcement date is telling. He's KU's to lose imo.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Might be a power move on Grimes and his decision to stay in the draft or not. I cannot fathom a single reason Grimes would have to stay in the draft unless he really thinks getting picked up as a FA is his path. The guy 100% needs another year or two in college.

Might be a power move on Grimes and his decision to stay in the draft or not. I cannot fathom a single reason Grimes would have to stay in the draft unless he really thinks getting picked up as a FA is his path. The guy 100% needs another year or two in college.

It’s mostly conjecture, but it sounds like bridges have been burned. I don’t think Grimes would even be welcomed back unless Self were desperate. Similar to Vick last year. Sounds like he didn’t like his work ethic and Grimes didn’t like his role.

The team will be better off without that prima donna firing bricks or trying to dominate the ball. If/when Hampton commits, they’ll be loaded, and Grimes would only ruin it.

Reactions: toonces11
It’s mostly conjecture, but it sounds like bridges have been burned. I don’t think Grimes would even be welcomed back unless Self were desperate. Similar to Vick last year. Sounds like he didn’t like his work ethic and Grimes didn’t like his role.

The team will be better off without that prima donna firing bricks or trying to dominate the ball. If/when Hampton commits, they’ll be loaded, and Grimes would only ruin it.
What I found strange was it wasn’t overly apparent anything was going on with grimes outside of a freshman not being quite ready for the big stage. If I didn’t hear the rumors about people in his ear and the stuff after the auburn loss about him wanting to run the point—it would have been a simple come back next year and make the sophomore jump. If we had any depth whatsoever, his play would have bought him long stretches on the bench. Vick is a better pronptospect at this point. And that’s saying something.

I'm guessing that experience is the main reason they favor KU over Kentucky and Duke (and Memphis, if Daniels is right).

Plus, his role would be less clear on a team like Kentucky. KU's 2 slot is open and waiting, along with plenty of minutes. There's no chance Grimes comes back. Dotson (if he even returns) is the only KU guard that can realistically demand big minutes. Kentucky has Hagans and two OADs in the backcourt.

And Duke has at least three guards that will expect big minutes, right?

With his verbal date moving up to the 28th, yes, I would agree TTU is out of the picture... you guys should be pretty solid next year, assuming you land RJ.

I don't know if I'd say Duke has 3 guards expecting big minutes. Obviously, Jones is one. After him? Wendell Moore is considered a small forward by most, sort of in the Justise Winslow mold. Cassius Stanley or Alex O'Connell will probably start at the 2, but those guys are both 4-star recruits. I think Hampton may have trimmed his list before Boogie Ellis decommitted. So perhaps he saw it as Jones, Stanley, Ellis, O'Connell as a crowded backcourt.

I think we hover around 5-7 if Nwora and Enoch come back as they should or get a big grad transfer.

Championship Classic will be good then turn around around a month later and should get a top 10 matchup between Louisville/Texas Tech.

Gonna be a good non-conference this year. Big 10 matchup and 2 ACC games too.

You expecting both to return? I would expect Enoch to return. He could improve his stock quite a bit. Always thought Nwora was a borderline 1st rounder. But I haven't looked into it too much lately. If both return, yes, definitely a top 10 team, maybe even top 5.

With his verbal date moving up to the 28th, yes, I would agree TTU is out of the picture... you guys should be pretty solid next year, assuming you land RJ.

I don't know if I'd say Duke has 3 guards expecting big minutes. Obviously, Jones is one. After him? Wendell Moore is considered a small forward by most, sort of in the Justise Winslow mold. Cassius Stanley or Alex O'Connell will probably start at the 2, but those guys are both 4-star recruits. I think Hampton may have trimmed his list before Boogie Ellis decommitted. So perhaps he saw it as Jones, Stanley, Ellis, O'Connell as a crowded backcourt.
It's been a few years since I thought Duke recruits wouldn't make an immediate impact. Of course I've been wrong many times.

I'd be surprised if Duke accomplished anything this year noteworthy,

To be fair, even though we have #2 recruiting class this year, I think our easy scheduler will help hide our deficiencies. this year.

Stanley is very athletic. One of the best guard prospects in the class. I’ll bet he fancies himself OAD. But I was thinking there was someone else in the fold.

I’d imagine there was another reason for cutting Duke.

Who??

JK, but I will live up our final four run as log as I can. Always a huge accomplishment beating a program like KU....

They will kill the Big 12 next year...

Reactions: toonces11
It's been a few years since I thought Duke recruits wouldn't make an immediate impact. Of course I've been wrong many times.

I'd be surprised if Duke accomplished anything this year noteworthy,

To be fair, even though we have #2 recruiting class this year, I think our easy scheduler will help hide our deficiencies. this year.

Maybe, Idk. The makeup of the team will certainly be different. But I expect Tre Jones to have a monster year. He should be All-American worthy. We'll have more reliable shooters. Carey and Hurt are still top 10 recruits. Stanley is uber-athletic. Moore is a good defender with a nice all-around game. Hard to say. But it's not like College Basketball is stacked with crazy talented teams. If KU lands Hampton, then Michigan State and KU might be about the only truly elite teams in the country. At least on paper.

Stanley is very athletic. One of the best guard prospects in the class. I’ll bet he fancies himself OAD. But I was thinking there was someone else in the fold.

I’d imagine there was another reason for cutting Duke.

Stanley is super athletic. He has a reputation of being a sub-par shooter, but I read where he improved his stroke a bit during the last year. I couldn't find his shooting numbers anywhere. If he can maintain decent shooting percentages, then yes, he absolutely is a OAD candidate... And I'm sure RJ and his father have their reasons. Just seemed so abrupt. I just took as he didn't want to share duties with Tre, but I'm guessing it's much more nuanced than that.

Maybe, Idk. The makeup of the team will certainly be different. But I expect Tre Jones to have a monster year. He should be All-American worthy. We'll have more reliable shooters. Carey and Hurt are still top 10 recruits. Stanley is uber-athletic. Moore is a good defender with a nice all-around game. Hard to say. But it's not like College Basketball is stacked with crazy talented teams. If KU lands Hampton, then Michigan State and KU might be about the only truly elite teams in the country. At least on paper.

Stanley is super athletic. He has a reputation of being a sub-par shooter, but I read where he improved his stroke a bit during the last year. I couldn't find his shooting numbers anywhere. If he can maintain decent shooting percentages, then yes, he absolutely is a OAD candidate... And I'm sure RJ and his father have their reasons. Just seemed so abrupt. I just took as he didn't want to share duties with Tre, but I'm guessing it's much more nuanced than that.
I appreciate you taking the time to break it down. I was cleary uninformed and you helped me.

Which stats, iyo, will carry Tre Jones to AA status?

You expecting both to return? I would expect Enoch to return. He could improve his stock quite a bit. Always thought Nwora was a borderline 1st rounder. But I haven't looked into it too much lately. If both return, yes, definitely a top 10 team, maybe even top 5.

If nwora goes 1st round, the gm needs to be fired. I heard he’s not even projected to be drafted in the ESPN mock

Reactions: dukedevilz
I appreciate you taking the time to break it down. I was cleary uninformed and you helped me.

Which stats, iyo, will carry Tre Jones to AA status?

Tre Jones is arguably the best on-ball defender in the country. He was also 6th in the country in assists to turnover ratio (3.6 to 1). I expect next season he'll be much more ball-dominant. Cam, RJ, and Zion did quite a bit of the ball-handling last year. With him having a larger role, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average over 8 assists per game... his scoring average will go up, too. I'm not saying he'll definitely be an All-American, but I think he'll be under consideration. I expect something along the lines of 11-15 ppg and 7-9 assists. Hopefully his shooting percentages will climb a bit, too. He shot really well against VT in the Sweet 16, at least.

Tre Jones is arguably the best on-ball defender in the country. He was also 6th in the country in assists to turnover ratio (3.6 to 1). I expect next season he'll be much more ball-dominant. Cam, RJ, and Zion did quite a bit of the ball-handling last year. With him having a larger role, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average over 8 assists per game... his scoring average will go up, too. I'm not saying he'll definitely be an All-American, but I think he'll be under consideration. I expect something along the lines of 11-15 ppg and 7-9 assists. Hopefully his shooting percentages will climb a bit, too. He shot really well against VT in the Sweet 16, at least.
I think he and DDodson of Kansas will be pre season AA players.

Really interested in seeing how DeSousa and Azubuike co- exist

It’s going to be the sex equivalent of basketball watching us run our high low lob game again with this level of depth.

What you saw with the 17-18 team and when we beat Duke was just an appetizer.

18-19 was supposed to be another level up from 17-18 and a ncaa title trophy in the case but had an absolute implosion mid-year.

18-19 was already preseason, but 19-20 truly is our best shot for a natty since 07-08. As long as everyone stays healthy.

Loved Frank and Devonte teams, and early 2010’s with the twins and Sherron in there and could argue that a couple of those were natty worthy.

Love my UNC TAR HEELS...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT