ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early 1st Team All-Conference Picks

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Just something to talk about. Just spitting some names here. Most of these 1st Teams I tried to reasonably construct like a starting five unit - except the Big Ten. Best three players in the B10 are all bigs. Would be hilarious to have Dickinson and Edey on the same team and just run pick and roll action against them all day.

What picks would you have differently?

ACC
Nijel Pack, Miami
Terquavion Smith, NC State
Dariq Whitehead, Duke
Jayden Gardner, Virginia
Armando Bacot, North Carolina

Big East
Jared Bynum, Providence
Justin Moore, Villanova
David Jones, St. John's
Adama Sanogo, UConn
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton

Big 12
Mike Miles, TCU
Adam Flagler, Baylor
Dillon Mitchell, Texas
Jalen Wilson, Kansas
Kevin Obanor, Texas Tech

Big Ten
Terrence Shannon, Illinois
Kris Murray, Iowa
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Zach Edey, Purdue

Pac-12
Will Richardson, Oregon
Drew Peterson, USC
Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
Harrison Ingram, Stanford
Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona

SEC
Sahvir Wheeler, Kentucky
Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee
Nick Smith, Arkansas
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Colin Castleton, Florida

AAC
Kendric Davis, Memphis
Jalen Cook, Tulane
Marcus Sasser, Houston
DeAndre Williams, Memphis
Jarace Walker, Houston

A-10
Yuri Collins, Saint Louis
Foster Loyer, Davidson
Javonte Perkins, Saint Louis
Josh Oduro, George Mason
DaRon Holmes, Dayton

MWC
Isaiah Stevens, Colorado State
Jaelen House, New Mexico
Matt Bradley, San Diego State
Hunter Maldonaldo, Wyoming
Graham Ike, Wyoming

WCC
Nolan Hickman, Gonzaga
Khalil Shabazz, San Francisco
Logan Johnson, Saint Mary's
Julian Strawther, Gonzaga
Drew Timme, Gonzaga

All Other Conferences
Jordan Walker, UAB
Max Abmas, Oral Roberts
Darius McGhee, Liberty
JT Shumate, Toledo
Jake Stephens, Chattanooga

Just something to talk about. Just spitting some names here. Most of these 1st Teams I tried to reasonably construct like a starting five unit - except the Big Ten. Best three players in the B10 are all bigs. Would be hilarious to have Dickinson and Edey on the same team and just run pick and roll action against them all day.

What picks would you have differently?

ACC
Nijel Pack, Miami
Terquavion Smith, NC State
Dariq Whitehead, Duke
Jayden Gardner, Virginia
Armando Bacot, North Carolina

Big East
Jared Bynum, Providence
Justin Moore, Villanova
David Jones, St. John's
Adama Sanogo, UConn
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton

Big 12
Mike Miles, TCU
Adam Flagler, Baylor
Dillon Mitchell, Texas
Jalen Wilson, Kansas
Kevin Obanor, Texas Tech

Big Ten
Terrence Shannon, Illinois
Kris Murray, Iowa
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Zach Edey, Purdue

Pac-12
Will Richardson, Oregon
Drew Peterson, USC
Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
Harrison Ingram, Stanford
Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona

SEC
Sahvir Wheeler, Kentucky
Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee
Nick Smith, Arkansas
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Colin Castleton, Florida

AAC
Kendric Davis, Memphis
Jalen Cook, Tulane
Marcus Sasser, Houston
DeAndre Williams, Memphis
Jarace Walker, Houston

A-10
Yuri Collins, Saint Louis
Foster Loyer, Davidson
Javonte Perkins, Saint Louis
Josh Oduro, George Mason
DaRon Holmes, Dayton

MWC
Isaiah Stevens, Colorado State
Jaelen House, New Mexico
Matt Bradley, San Diego State
Hunter Maldonaldo, Wyoming
Graham Ike, Wyoming

WCC
Nolan Hickman, Gonzaga
Khalil Shabazz, San Francisco
Logan Johnson, Saint Mary's
Julian Strawther, Gonzaga
Drew Timme, Gonzaga

All Other Conferences
Jordan Walker, UAB
Max Abmas, Oral Roberts
Darius McGhee, Liberty
JT Shumate, Toledo
Jake Stephens, Chattanooga
I freaking love these threads

No baylor scheirman suprises me. Think moore has a better year?

Why in the world didnt abrams and mghee transfer up. No way they are making much NIL money at oral roberts and liberty and their size will likely keep them out of the nba.

i guess i kinda respect that, just seems weird in this wild west transfer/NIL world we are now in.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
Think malachi smith takes boltons spot since u have hickman and strawther. God they have guards in spades lol. They honestly probly deserve all 5 1st team preseason lol

I like Quinerly Alabama to make 1st T SEC.
I like Cleveland FSU to make 1st T ACC bounce back year for 'Noles. If he returned not even sure he's back.

Reactions: KisteK
He’s back but FSU players don’t make 1st team All ACC.
Honestly hadn't noticed that. I guess this makes sense given scoring balance and a primary focus on just shutting down other teams with all that length.

What's your forecast for the Noles next year? Looking forward to having some big games with you guys in a few years if we can turn it around.

Dang, the Big 10 one is loaded.

You need two more Duke players on the ACC one.

Big Ten always seems to be stacked with individual talent. They had 5 All-Americans last year, and that didn't even include Dickinson, TJD, or Edey.

Since the ACC expanded to 14 teams in the 2013-14 season, only twice have we had two guys on the 1st team. Will be interesting to see how Filipowski and Lively fare. They're both super talented. But, I do feel like Filipowski is a little limited on the defensive end, while Lively is a little limited on the offensive end.

Reactions: GE Nole
No baylor scheirman suprises me. Think moore has a better year?

I have a hard time fully trusting many of these guys that transfer up. One of these days I'll do a comparison of how their stats are impacted. Still expect Baylor to start for a really good Creighton team. But, there's a colossal difference between putting up monster stats in the Summit League and the Big East.

Why in the world didnt abrams and mghee transfer up. No way they are making much NIL money at oral roberts and liberty and their size will likely keep them out of the nba.

i guess i kinda respect that, just seems weird in this wild west transfer/NIL world we are now in.

Been wondering the same thing, actually. Makes no sense at all. Abmas should have transferred last year, to be honest. He could start for any team in America. Probably McGhee, too.

Think malachi smith takes boltons spot since u have hickman and strawther. God they have guards in spades lol. They honestly probly deserve all 5 1st team preseason lol

I think I posted this before Malachi Smith committed. But to your point, he's probably deserving to be on the 1st Team.

And yeah, they probably do have the 5 best players in the WCC. But, hard to garner enough votes when you're the 4th or 5th option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villian07
I like Quinerly Alabama to make 1st T SEC.
I like Cleveland FSU to make 1st T ACC bounce back year for 'Noles. If he returned not even sure he's back.

Quinerly tore his ACL against ND in the tournament. It's going to be a while before he's fully healthy.

Cleveland is really solid, but yeah, FSU guys have a hard road to climb to make 1st Team. Not enough minutes or touches to rack up the individual stats.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Quinerly tore his ACL against ND in the tournament. It's going to be a while before he's fully healthy.

Cleveland is really solid, but yeah, FSU guys have a hard road to climb to make 1st Team. Not enough minutes or touches to rack up the individual stats.
Damn had no idea on Q and that ACL maybe he should sit the entire year?

Damn had no idea on Q and that ACL maybe he should sit the entire year?

Nah. He's going to be 24 in a couple months. Only has a small window to make money. I think he'll be back at some point in 2023, but he might miss the first month or so. He should back in form by mid-January I would think.

@GE Nole Btw, what would your early All-ACC 1st Team look like?

Feel like the ACC could be very strong next season. I think Bacot is the only true lock for 1st Team.

Reactions: Villian07
Honestly hadn't noticed that. I guess this makes sense given scoring balance and a primary focus on just shutting down other teams with all that length.

What's your forecast for the Noles next year? Looking forward to having some big games with you guys in a few years if we can turn it around.

Our system is certainly part of it. Some of it is also just having so few media members in Florida who vote in it compared to Tobacco Road. Trent Forrest was first in the ACC in steals, 11th in assist rate, top 20 in TS%, and the point guard of the ACC champs, but couldn’t make all ACC first team?

Devin Vassell was 2nd in 3point percentage, top 25 in steals and blocks, and 4th in offensive rating. Can’t make first team despite being the best player on the best team? Idk.

Next year should be interesting. Nice nucleus of returning guys between Mills, Cleveland, Warley, Fletcher, and McLeod
Added a couple transfers who look to have a very specific role. And there’s at least 1-2 recruits who should get into the rotation, especially Chandler Jackson.

But I still am not sure if we have that Patrick Williams, Jon Isaac, Scottie Barnes, RaiQuan Gray type who’s big enough to bang down low but quick enough to switch on the perimeter. Those guys have been pretty key to our success on defense lately. Malik Osborne was that dude last year when were first in the ACC and just beat Miami and Duke, but then he got hurt and everything sort of fell apart.

If Matthew Cleveland can even be an okay shooter, that would open up our slashing game. And then maybe we could just pace and space and run teams into the ground.

Also, Baba Miller, a hyped kid from Spain is down to us and Gonzaga and announces Monday. That could boost us up a bit.

Last edited:
@GE Nole Btw, what would your early All-ACC 1st Team look like?

Feel like the ACC could be very strong next season. I think Bacot is the only true lock for 1st Team.

Bacot and Smith feel like locks. I wouldn’t typically vote for a guy like I’ll think Smith will be (high volume scorer on a team that finishes in the bottom half of the league) but the media seems to always choose those guys.

I think Love takes the next step in his game and earns the other guard spot.

One of the Duke freshmen should make it and Whitehead seems like as good a choice as any. Still salty he didn’t pick FSU, seemed like he was tailor-made for our system.

And then maybe a wildcard like Norchad Omier from Miami, Dereck Lively, or Nate Laszewski if ND is good.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Bacot and Smith feel like locks. I wouldn’t typically vote for a guy like I’ll think Smith will be (high volume scorer on a team that finishes in the bottom half of the league) but the media seems to always choose those guys.

I think Love takes the next step in his game and earns the other guard spot.

One of the Duke freshmen should make it and Whitehead seems like as good a choice as any. Still salty he didn’t pick FSU, seemed like he was tailor-made for our system.

And then maybe a wildcard like Norchad Omier from Miami, Dereck Lively, or Nate Laszewski if ND is good.

All reasonable picks.

ACC voters definitely side with the gaudy stats. I still can't believe Erick Craven was Co-ACC POY in 2013. I'm fine with him being on the 1st Team, but ACC POY? Virginia Tech was DFL in the standings.

Reactions: GE Nole
Battle_Jamison.jpg

All reasonable picks.

ACC voters definitely side with the gaudy stats. I still can't believe Erick Craven was Co-ACC POY in 2013. I'm fine with him being on the 1st Team, but ACC POY? Virginia Tech was DFL in the standings.

That’s a great example and it’s really weird to me. You’d think people in areas with as much basketball knowledge and history as most of the ACC would have a better grasp of hollow stats and the intangibles that someone like a Trent Forrest does to win games. But it’s clear they don’t.

That’s a great example and it’s really weird to me. You’d think people in areas with as much basketball knowledge and history as most of the ACC would have a better grasp of hollow stats and the intangibles that someone like a Trent Forrest does to win games. But it’s clear they don’t.

Sad, but true.

He's a solid candidate. I'd have him on my preseason 2nd team. But, he's certainly capable of making the 1st Team.

Also, that pic of Battle kind of reminds me of a skinnier Kenny Powers lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT