ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia got screwed

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
#1 overall seed and they get stuck with the 2nd and 3rd best team in their region in the same half of the bracket. Arizona and Kentucky are better teams than Cincy and Tennessee. Heck, Kentucky proved they were better than Tenn a couple hours ago.

Virginia ended up with far and away the toughest #4 and #5's in the entire tourney. That shouldn't happen when you are the #1 overall.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
#1 overall seed and they get stuck with the 2nd and 3rd best team in their region in the same half of the bracket. Arizona and Kentucky are better teams than Cincy and Tennessee. Heck, Kentucky proved they were better than Tenn a couple hours ago.

Virginia ended up with far and away the toughest #4 and #5's in the entire tourney. That shouldn't happen when you are the #1 overall.
Kentucky went 1-2 vs UT this year. Cincy is really good. I wouldn't say AZ or UK are better than the Bearcats. Or the Vols.

UVA got a tough ass draw, I agree.

Virginia will be a tough out, but if Kentucky can beat Arizona, the last thing Virginia could have wanted in the Sweet 16 (playing Kentucky in Atlanta, where UK always brings an absolute monster crowd) will happen.

Definitely not thrilled with the top half of the draw but I do like the bottom half if we are able to survive. I doubt many people will pick us to beat UK/AZ if we play them so the underdog role may be beneficial. I still have faith. We can frustrate both of those teams but I would rather play Arizona in Atlanta than Kentucky. Gotta get there first though.

Virginia is like the thibs bulls. Try hards during the regular season but everyone plays d in the postseason thus advantage is neutralized.

I think this is a pretty fair characterization

Definitely not thrilled with the top half of the draw but I do like the bottom half if we are able to survive. I doubt many people will pick us to beat UK/AZ if we play them so the underdog role may be beneficial. I still have faith. We can frustrate both of those teams but I would rather play Arizona in Atlanta than Kentucky. Gotta get there first though.

I'm pulling for u guys! As a true neutral fan (my 2 teams are DePaul and LSU) I've fallen in love with this Virginia team this year.

Reactions: jhmossy
tried writing more about my admiration for this UVA team, but the stupid broken website told me it was inappropriate spam.

Would you rather have MSU/DUKE in your bracket?

How is that relevant? those aren't #4 and #5 seeds so they wouldn't be in the same half of the bracket. Cmon, stay on topic here.
But the ultimate goal is to get to the final four and more. I’d rather have a tough Sweet 16 matchup and an easier EE matchup. Yeah you may lose earlier but if you get by that game you have a much better shot at a title. Where as KU is going to be playing a team in the EE, if we get there, that is basically a 1 seed.

Nevermind our second game. We either get an underseeded Seton Hall team or an NC State team that has beaten DUKE, UNC, and your 4 seed Arizona Wildcats. So our second game is going to be against a team that has beaten 3 teams that are as good or near as good as us.

Kentucky played maybe 25% of the year full strength... they should be close to it next week
Kentucky is not better than Virginia, sure they could upset them, but Davidson could just as easily beat Kentucky.

The fact Louisville played UVA to the buzzer is encouraging as a UK fan. Also, if that game happens, the contrasting tempos will be interesting.

The fact Louisville played UVA to the buzzer is encouraging as a UK fan. Also, if that game happens, the contrasting tempos will be interesting.

You'll have to beat us in a half court game. If Duke and UNC can't speed us up, I'm not worried about UK doing it.

Reactions: Quavarius
I had to pick between Virginia and Zona in the FF and still picked Virginia.

I think one of Bennett or Miller will finally break through to the FF and I'm going with Bennett.

Think they also become the first #1 overall to win the ship since 2013 as well.

You'll have to beat us in a half court game. If Duke and UNC can't speed us up, I'm not worried about UK doing it.

The thing is though, Kentucky has run zone quite a bit this year. Slow pace might not be bad for them.

The thing is though, Kentucky has run zone quite a bit this year. Slow pace might not be bad for them.

We do pretty well against the zone. You'll get to learn all about De'Andre Hunter.

They only use transitive property when they get an advantage, Kentucky definitely wouldn’t like Virginia’s style of play. If Virginia liked to run , I’d take Kentucky, but no way does Kentucky want a half court game.

Reactions: jhmossy
I think this is a pretty fair characterization

I can't say I've watched a ton of you guys this year, but you seem to be a much better offensive team this year than other years, KenPom rankings be damned. You have a bunch of shooters and hit free throws. Not having only one "star" like in years past (ala Brogdon, etc) but multiple guys is big come March. You never know when one dude is gonna go ice cold.

Kentucky is not better than Virginia, sure they could upset them, but Davidson could just as easily beat Kentucky.

I'd say UK has a better chance of beating UVA then Davidson does UK. 70/30 for first round game. I'd say UVA/UK would be around 55-60/40 in favor of UVA. I don't think it matters though because UK won't beat Arizona.

did UK and UVA have any common opponents to compare to?

I think if you take all 3 of UVA's games vs. Louisville, we beat them by the same amount you did LOL

We also played VT, WVU, Monmouth, and Vandy.

Last edited:
Reactions: RR30
I think if you take all 3 of UVA's games vs. Louisville, we beat them by the same amount you did LOL

yep (having a little fun at Rocky's expense)
honestly i don't think common opponents mean anything, just like MOV means nothing

it is about match ups and sometimes just which team wants it more

My only question: Does Virginia have enough to contain Deandre Ayton on the glass and who/what is it?

usa_today_10610824.0.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT