ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama…

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Best nba prospect since lebron? 7’5 and can shoot? Sucks he stuck playing in front of 2k people and not on tv this year. Shame on you Duke.

"Wembanyama's unprecedented combination of size, skill and substance at 18 years old that mesmerized approximately 200 NBA executives and scouts in attendance in suburban Las Vegas and reaffirmed beliefs that this promises to be a transformational player and historic NBA draft. "Victor distorts basketball reality," one GM told ESPN on Wednesday. "The tank/trade market will really shift after that showing. It feels like last night will start a race to the bottom like we've never seen.""

Reactions: AuHoosier420
"Wembanyama's unprecedented combination of size, skill and substance at 18 years old that mesmerized approximately 200 NBA executives and scouts in attendance in suburban Las Vegas and reaffirmed beliefs that this promises to be a transformational player and historic NBA draft. "Victor distorts basketball reality," one GM told ESPN on Wednesday. "The tank/trade market will really shift after that showing. It feels like last night will start a race to the bottom like we've never seen.""
God damn, I must be in a coma....Never heard of the dude..

Off to google.

Ok----Is the dude 7'5".....7'2", 0r 7'3"? I have looked at three diferent articles---all three have him listed at different heights....

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Ok----Is the dude 7'5".....7'2", 0r 7'3"? I have looked at three diferent articles---all three have him listed at different heights....

I think it's fair to call him 7'5. Zach Edey is listed at 7'4.

E7v7iBaWUAIg8nc

People say Chet Holmgren is a unicorn. VW is much, much more of a unicorn. He vastly outplayed Chet, despite being almost 2 years younger. Might be the easiest choice for #1 overall pick since LeBron.
When he isn’t getting bullied by dudes 6 inches shorter than him I’ll believe the hype. Who’s the last European “unicorn” that actually worked out?

People say Chet Holmgren is a unicorn. VW is much, much more of a unicorn. He vastly outplayed Chet, despite being almost 2 years younger. Might be the easiest choice for #1 overall pick since LeBron.

Vastly outplayed Chet where?

Not at Fiba last year if that’s what you mean if you look at the full tournament. VW was better in the head to head game but Chet had the better/more efficient tournament

Vastly outplayed Chet where?

Not at Fiba last year if that’s what you mean if you look at the full tournament. VW was better in the head to head game but Chet had the better/more efficient tournament

Yeah, I meant he vastly outplayed him in the title game. 22 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks compared to 9 points, 5 boards, and 0 blocks.

But, his tournament stats look better, too. Missed a bunch of threes, so his fg% wasn't spectacular, but he was more efficient in all the other areas

VW: 14.0 ppg, 7.4 reb, 5.7 blk, 45.8 fg%, 22.5 min
CH: 11.9 ppg, 6.1 reb, 2.7 blk, 62.0 fg%, 21.3 min

Yeah, I meant he vastly outplayed him in the title game. 22 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks compared to 9 points, 5 boards, and 0 blocks.

But, his tournament stats look better, too. Missed a bunch of threes, so his fg% wasn't spectacular, but he was more efficient in all the other areas

Lol VW was not more efficient than Chet was.

Chet:
7 games
21.4 minutes per game
11.9 points (7.1 shots per game)
6.6 rebounds
3.3 assists
2.7 blocks
62.0% from the field
53.8% from three (7 of 13)

VW:
7 games
22.5 minutes per game
14.0 points (11.9 shots per game)
7.4 rebounds
1.4 assists
5.7 blocks
45.8% from the field
18.2% from three (4 of 22)

Honest question…. Why’d you omit assists?

Lol VW was not more efficient than Chet was.

Chet:
7 games
21.4 minutes per game
11.9 points (7.1 shots per game)
6.6 rebounds
3.3 assists
2.7 blocks
62.0% from the field
53.8% from three (7 of 13)

VW:
7 games
22.5 minutes per game
14.0 points (11.9 shots per game)
7.4 rebounds
1.4 assists
5.7 blocks
45.8% from the field
18.2% from three (4 of 22)

Efficiency Per Game Rating
VW- 20.1
CH- 19.3

But again, my initial remarks were about the title game.

Efficiency Per Game Rating
VW- 20.1
CH- 19.3

But again, my initial remarks were about the title game.

The difference in the title game was clear, no debate there. But since you’re continuing about the rest of the tournament… Your statement was

“but he was more efficient in all the other areas”

Why did you omit assists? That’s such a weird thing to do.

Chet: 23 assists, 10 turnovers.
VW: 10 assists, 13 turnovers

Chet was pretty clearly more efficient offensively. Efficiency calculators support that (https://captaincalculator.com/sports/basketball/efficiency/). VW’s PER gets a massive boost from his blocks. That’s fine. But let’s call it like it is: Chet was better offensively, VW was better defensively.

Last edited:
The difference in the title game was clear, no debate there. But since you’re continuing about the rest of the tournament… Your statement was

“but he was more efficient in all the other areas”

Why did you omit assists? That’s such a weird thing to do.

Chet: 23 assists, 10 turnovers.
VW: 10 assists, 13 turnovers

Chet was pretty clearly more efficient offensively. Efficiency calculators support that (https://captaincalculator.com/sports/basketball/efficiency/). VW’s PER gets a massive boost from his blocks. That’s fine. But let’s call it like it is: Chet was better offensively, VW was better defensively.

That's fair. The assists omission wasn't intentional. I just took 10 seconds to get the most relevant stats for VW - and I got the corresponding stats for Chet.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I mean, he's a 6'7" guy that can shoot, pass and dribble---really good. 25 years ago, sure----In today's NBA? No that much. I like Luka. He's very good....But his skill set isn't unique for his size.

I don’t really consider him a “Unicorn” so to speak. Like Victor or Porzingis. Tall bigs that are soft but supposedly can shoot.

Luka is elite but to me he’s more of just a big point guard.
I mean This dude can basically be Gianni’s plus being a solid outside shooter

Anyone wanna bet on over/under 3 years that this kid will need a major knee/foot surgery? He looks like a generational talent but I have a hard time believing he could stay healthy, Guys above 7’3’’ rarely did in the past.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Luka is a top 5 player in the world right now. Probably top 2 by the time he’s 25.
Not debating that...But its not like he's the first ever 6'7" dude to be such...Its not like he's 6'10", i.e. Kevin Durant type of shit....Or this dude "whatchamacallit". He's great....But there have been a many like him.

Not debating that...But its not like he's the first ever 6'7" dude to be such...Its not like he's 6'10", i.e. Kevin Durant type of shit....Or this dude "whatchamacallit". He's great....But there have been a many like him.

Luka will end up with a better career than Durant. I’m not sure what the point is about 6’7 or 6’10. There’s plenty of 6’7 guys who aren’t even good college players.

Luka is elite.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Luka will end up with a better career than Durant. I’m not sure what the point is about 6’7 or 6’10. There’s plenty of 6’7 guys who aren’t even good college players.

Luka is elite.
The point is, Luka being elite at 6'7" isn't some type of anomaly........Being 6'10", and having the skill set that Durant has/had, is much more impressive. As with Giannis....And apparently with this kid.

Also, not so sure Luka will end up with a better career....

Durant:

12X NBA All-Star
NBA MVP(2014)
2X NBA Champion
2X NBA Finals MVP
6X NBA First Team
50-40-90 Club(2013)---Only 9 players have achieved this.
NBA 75th Anniversary team

And he missed an entire year, with an injury---Returned the following year, and had his 3rd highest PPG avg in his career---29.9ppg.

If Luka has the better career, then dude has done some stuff.....

The point is, Luka being elite at 6'7" isn't some type of anomaly........Being 6'10", and having the skill set that Durant has/had, is much more impressive. As with Giannis....And apparently with this kid.

Durant:

12X NBA All-Star
NBA MVP(2014)
2X NBA Champion
2X NBA Finals MVP
6X NBA First Team

And he missed an entire year, with an injury---Returned the following year, and had his 3rd highest PPG avg in his career---29.9ppg.

How many 6’7 guys in league history have had the skill set that Luka has?

How many 6’7 guys in league history have had the skill set that Luka has?
serious? Off top of my head, Carmelo Anthony. Especially early in his career. Scottie Pippen... Some dude named Julius Erving....Clyde Drexler....Rick Berry.....

Right now you could even argue a guy like Kawhi Leonard: 27/7/6..

All very comparable....

Better question, more impressive "question", is what guys have the skill set he has, that was smaller and or bigger? That list is just as long, tbh...

Luka is elite.....But to act as if he's the first elite, 6'7" player is ridiculous.....

serious? Off top of my head, Carmelo Anthony. Especially early in his career. Scottie Pippen... Some dude named Julius Erving....Clyde Drexler....Rick Berry.....

Right now you could even argue a guy like Kawhi Leonard: 27/7/6..

All very comparable....

Better question, more impressive "question", is what guys have the skill set he has, that was smaller and or bigger? That list is just as long, tbh...

Luka is elite.....But to act as if he's the first elite, 6'7" player is ridiculous.....
I don’t agree that any of those players have the same skill set as Luka. None of them have all of scoring, playmaking, vision, IQ, ballhandling like Luka does. Those guys have some of those characteristics and a couple of them even have most of them, but even those guys don’t do all of those at the elite level that Luka does.

Reactions: RipThru and GE Nole
I don’t agree that any of those players have the same skill set as Luka. None of them have all of scoring, playmaking, vision, IQ, ballhandling like Luka does. Those guys have some of those characteristics and a couple of them even have most of them, but even those guys don’t do all of those at the elite level that Luka does.
All are top 50 players---of all-time, sans Anthony; Leonard is on a few quirky list---but I wil allow it. 😁

Pippen, Drexler and Erving are all better than Luka-----for now. Drexler/Pippen were far better defenders; especially Pippen.... Both much more athletic, and IMO, better ballhandlers.

Pippen only averaged 16ppg for his career, but................................He played wit this one dude that was pretty good.

I agree Luka is elite, very talented.....But again, he's not a "unicorn", so to speak.

All are top 50 players---of all-time, sans Anthony; Leonard is on a few quirky list---but I wil allow it. 😁

Pippen, Drexler and Erving are all better than Luka-----for now. Drexler/Pippen were far better defenders; especially Pippen.... Both much more athletic, and IMO, better ballhandlers.

Pippen only averaged 16ppg for his career, but................................He played wit this one dude that was pretty good.

I agree Luka is elite, very talented.....But again, he's not a "unicorn", so to speak.
So we’re arguing different things. You’re saying that there are plenty of 6’7 elite players. Of course that’s true. I’m saying that there haven’t been too many players in history who we‘re Luka’s size with his skill set.

Both are true.

Durant:

12X NBA All-Star
NBA MVP(2014)
2X NBA Champion
2X NBA Finals MVP
6X NBA First Team

Durant got the two titles because he’s a bitch who went to a pre-made title team. And I say that as a Warriors fan, mind you. And at least one of his Finals MVPs should have gone to Steph.

We will see if Luka hops to a guaranteed title team. But other than that, none of the other stuff seems out of reach except for maybe the 50/40/90 club. Of course Luka is a far better passer than Durant.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So we’re arguing different things. You’re saying that there are plenty of 6’7 elite players. Of course that’s true. I’m saying that there haven’t been too many players in history who we‘re Luka’s size with his skill set.

Both are true.

Agree with this ^^^^.

Borden, youre right about Pippen being a better defender. That’s for sure and Luka will never defend at his level.

But he’s a lead dog and Pip never was, outside 1.5 seasons. Luka can simply do things none of those other guys could. He’s gonna be a multi-time MVP.

Luka is a great player but he has to dedicate himself to get in the best playing shape possible. Also he doesn't play defense and KD is a good defensive player, not great but good. Not to many players are going to isolate whoever KD is guarding than they will with Luka. Lastly I used to be a KD fan but the dude is to sensitive when it comes to outside noise and criticism.

Agree with this ^^^^.

Borden, youre right about Pippen being a better defender. That’s for sure and Luka will never defend at his level.

But he’s a lead dog and Pip never was, outside 1.5 seasons. Luka can simply do things none of those other guys could. He’s gonna be a multi-time MVP.
I mean it ain't Scotties fault he was teammates with that due named "Jordan"....

What can Luka do, that Pippen could not....Or Erving.....Drexler....Carmelo....All could pass, shoot(MOF, Pippen even a better shooter than Luka), rebound, score from all levels...I mean what, b/c Luka is a much better passer than all those mentioned, he's suddenly that much better?

C'mon, bro----I can name three things off the top of my head that Pippen was better at: Defense, shooting and getting to the rim. Luka isn't close in 2 of the 3(defense/getting to the rim). I mean TBH, dude is sort of slow.....

I love Luka....Love watching him play. But I have never found myself going---"Damn, for a 6'7" dude, he's ****ing amazing....Maybe thats b/c I am 50, and have seen dudes 6'7", or bigger, that were equal, or just as good...

But you’re sort of making the point by saying that Luka can rebound and score as well as some truly great wings. He’s a point guard, it’s not about just the 6’7, it’s about the position. The fact that you CAN compare him to all-timers OUTSIDE of his position says all you need to know.

KD, Giannis, LeBron are great because they are great wings, forwards, and centers. They’re multi-positionally great. The wings you’re comparing to Luka weren’t great point guards. Luka is multi-positionally great

I mean it ain't Scotties fault he was teammates with that due named "Jordan"....

What can Luka do, that Pippen could not....Or Erving.....Drexler....Carmelo....All could pass, shoot(MOF, Pippen even a better shooter than Luka), rebound, score from all levels...I mean what, b/c Luka is a much better passer than all those mentioned, he's suddenly that much better?

C'mon, bro----I can name three things off the top of my head that Pippen was better at: Defense, shooting and getting to the rim. Luka isn't close in 2 of the 3(defense/getting to the rim). I mean TBH, dude is sort of slow.....

I love Luka....Love watching him play. But I have never found myself going---"Damn, for a 6'7" dude, he's ****ing amazing....Maybe thats b/c I am 50, and have seen dudes 6'7", or bigger, that were equal, or just as good...

Luka is a far superior ball handler, a far superior passer and playmaker, a far superior orchestrator of the offense, and despite lacking the high end athleticism of most NBA players he has a high enough bball IQ to use his body and positioning to score inside the paint with ease.

Also, Scottie a better shooter? Haha. Yeah right. Luka, as a 22 year old, just shot 35% from 3 on over 8 attempts per game. Scottie as a 22 year old shot 17% from deep on 23 total attempts. He shot 57% from the FT line as a 22 year old and 70% for his career.

Luke has averaged over 70% from the FT line in all four of his NBA seasons and is just now turning 23. Scottie dreams of being as good of a shooter as Luka. Oh and Luka is averaging more rebounds in his NBA career that Scottie averaged in his best season ever.

Luka is a far superior ball handler, a far superior passer and playmaker, a far superior orchestrator of the offense, and despite lacking the high end athleticism of most NBA players he has a high enough bball IQ to use his body and positioning to score inside the paint with ease.

Also, Scottie a better shooter? Haha. Yeah right. Luka, as a 22 year old, just shot 35% from 3 on over 8 attempts per game. Scottie as a 22 year old shot 17% from deep on 23 total attempts. He shot 57% from the FT line as a 22 year old and 70% for his career.

Luke has averaged over 70% from the FT line in all four of his NBA seasons and is just now turning 23. Scottie dreams of being as good of a shooter as Luka. Oh and Luka is averaging more rebounds in his NBA career that Scottie averaged in his best season ever.
Whoa, wait----we one use ONE season as a barometer? Seriously? So what that Pippen shot 17% as a 22-year-old. I mean Jordan's biggest "flaw" early in his career was shooting----How'd that turn out?

For his career, Pippen shot 47%----Luka is the same. From "3", Pippen was 33%----Luka currently sits at .337%. But hey if ya wanna use "A" season, I can roll with 1996, where Pippen shot 37.4%---far better than Luka's career best of 35%. Also keep in mind, the "3" point shot wasn't used as much when Pippen played, as it is today...Not even close. It simply wasn't a part of the game, as it is today.

"Far superior" this and that is a huge ass stretch---Especially when you comparing a 23-year old, with a Top 20 player in most peoples opinion. Era's are different----Scottie played in an era with dominant bigs, where rebounding guards, or "3's such as Pippen, weren't relied on to rebound. Even then, he still was among the leaders for guys at his position....The game has changed. And that reflects on "stats".

If I had to choose between 1994-98 Pippen, or Donic of now, I'd take Pippen. Big reason being, is that not only could Pippen dominate on offense, he could do the same defensively. Ya wann use the word, "far superior", well that certainly applies when comparing Pippen/Donic defensively...It ain't even remotely close.

Luka is fantastic...Elite. No doubt. But again, to act like this is some type of "great new thing" is absurd.

Reactions: AWilli6995
ADVERTISEMENT