ADVERTISEMENT

vacation lake house area recommendations

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Planning a reunion/vacation for 10-15 old dudes. We were teammates in the 2013 Maccabi games in Israel (old man ice hockey, Team USA). Stayed close friends ever since.

Last year we celebrated 10 years by renting a really nice house in Scottsdale. House was loaded with pool, hot tub, bocce ball court, pool table, ping pong, sports court etc. It was an amazing trip.

Looking to do it again this summer. Looking for a nice lake or beach house, somewhere warm. Might be early summer so looking for southern US as a location.

I've done some brief looking. Carolinas seem to have a lot of options.

Figured everyone here might have some good ideas?

Really don't care about activities in the area as we mostly just hang out at the house the entire time aside from going out for some meals. Only other activity would be golf. Not everyone plays but those of us that do would need a course close by so we can get in and out quickly and not miss out on too much going on at the house.

Oh yea, and the house MUST have a bocce court. We discovered at our last trip that bocce is the perfect game for a bunch of old dudes hanging out.

Where in the Carolinas did you look? My oldest lives out near Ocean Isle beach area and I have enjoyed my visits there. No idea about rentals with bocce courts but I am sure Vrbo can help with that. You are close to North Myrtle so tons of golf and other bullshot to do.

you responded to my thread so quickly we all gotta assume you had that site bookmarked.

Another rental option is this;

66532501_10158023428327788_4266894861472366592_n.jpg

They have various sizes based on number of guests. It’s down here in KY.

82879108_10158618633752788_449241063626899456_n.jpg

Our family has always had a good time in South Haven and Saugatuck areas along Lake Michigan. But we normally go in July/August so not sure if it'd be warm enough in early May.

yea living in CHicago I know the weather very well. definitely only going to consider Michigan/Midwest if its July/August.
Gotcha, I think that area is always a good time.

A couple years ago, me and a group of guys got a sick house in the Dillon/Frisco Colorado area. Insane view that looked down over Lake Dillon, also rented a pontoon boat for the day. Breckenridge is close which is fun in the summer.

You would not want to go there in May though, as it will still be too cold. The area is pretty amazing in July/August, though it's not for everyone due to the elevation and the fact that you'd have to drive from Denver.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Planning a reunion/vacation for 10-15 old dudes. We were teammates in the 2013 Maccabi games in Israel (old man ice hockey, Team USA). Stayed close friends ever since.

Last year we celebrated 10 years by renting a really nice house in Scottsdale. House was loaded with pool, hot tub, bocce ball court, pool table, ping pong, sports court etc. It was an amazing trip.

Looking to do it again this summer. Looking for a nice lake or beach house, somewhere warm. Might be early summer so looking for southern US as a location.

Really don't care about activities in the area as we mostly just hang out at the house the entire time aside from going out for some meals. Only other activity would be golf. Not everyone plays but those of us that do would need a course close by so we can get in and out quickly and not miss out on too much going on at the house.

Oh yea, and the house MUST have a bocce court. We discovered at our last trip that bocce is the perfect game for a bunch of old dudes hanging out.
Check out Lake Lure in North Carolina. Great lake, two golf courses and only 30-45 minutes from Asheville. Rent a boat for the week and find a cove and drop anchor. Multiple bars and restaurants you can take your boat to.

been looking at some of these lakes and beaches mentioned, all super nice.

The more I look the more I end up back at Scottsdale. Tough to beat the houses they have there. No lake or ocean, but it's not like we'll be there for water sports (shut up @Kevin Bryan ). Only poiint of the water is the view. And we can replace that with mountain views in Scottsdale.

The more I look the more I end up back at Scottsdale. Tough to beat the houses they have there. No lake or ocean, but it's not like we'll be there for water sports (shut up @Kevin Bryan ). Only poiint of the water is the view. And we can replace that with mountain views in Scottsdale.
Don't bring up water sports around @lurkeraspect84. That's his love language.
j109CR.gif

4938cfd09fe46ac623496d43014aa77a.gif

tumblr_n0vmwjPVcL1qbl2f1o1_250.gif

tumblr_mawwbqK6Qn1r283lbo3_500.gif

FYI - You get mountain views in North Carolina too.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Check out Skaneateles, New York. It’s a small town, so I’d only recommend if you’re primarily looking to stay within the house/lake. It’s spectacular, though.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I go to Grider Hill a lot, close to 76 Falls. A bunch of friends have boats and trailers there.
I was an Alligator boat dock 1 and 2 myself and then just headed down to the good parts.

We had a couple of boats docked there. One for skiing and the other for platoon.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

Lake Martin in Alabama. You’re welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT