ADVERTISEMENT

UT Fan Upset Over Picture of Referee

I think the refs are generally just awful overall, without skill for what they're doing and oftentimes displaying a misunderstanding of the rules - I'm sure a select few are biased, too.

They oughta be full time employees - paid, trained, retained, and given benefits equal to their importance to the integrity of the game. The fact that there's pieces of human refuse like John Higgins still reffing high-major basketball is ludicrous.

The thing I will say about UK's complaints about the refs - most of the games where we get a decent whistle are blowouts in our favor, because that's how most UK games are. So the egregious calls really stick out in our mind. I think it's more a construct of UK tending to win without the refs' help and losses being down to a single play or two that we can easily pin on a bad call here or there than some kind of conspiracy.

Except Higgins.

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
Not sure if anyone had the chance to read the Tim Donaghy story that was recently published, but it was an eye opener. Basically he was going to roll over on other officials who were doing the same thing, but the NBA headed it off, and somehow he was labeled as a 'rogue'. I think you'd have to be very naive and narrow-minded to believe there isn't some shady stuff going on, whether it be fixing games or just generally calling games with a bias.

My guess is that Kentucky has benefited far more from officiaiting than they have been hurt by it. So yes, officiating is biased.

Could be that most nights UK has superior talent/athletes that result in the appearance of one sided officiating.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I agree there could be biases in officiating. Sometimes, teams that play against UK can overcome it though with great play and coaching, such as the Luke Maye game.

As for the above, it is sort of a bad look to be saying that as an official but I seriously doubt this dude bought a shirt and all of a sudden decided to make calls against the Vols.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I'm not touching this.
I agree there could be biases in officiating. Sometimes, teams that play against UK can overcome it though with great play and coaching, such as the Luke Maye game.

As for the above, it is sort of a bad look to be saying that as an official but I seriously doubt this dude bought a shirt and all of a sudden decided to make calls against the Vols.
lol

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Not sure if anyone had the chance to read the Tim Donaghy story that was recently published, but it was an eye opener. Basically he was going to roll over on other officials who were doing the same thing, but the NBA headed it off, and somehow he was labeled as a 'rogue'. I think you'd have to be very naive and narrow-minded to believe there isn't some shady stuff going on, whether it be fixing games or just generally calling games with a bias.

That was a great article. I think it took me an hour to read it, though.

See, it is this sort of crazy that my post, accurately, is meant to highlight. What kind of people actually believe this sort of conspiratorial backwoods nonsense?
You're terrible. Just stop.

See, it is this sort of crazy that my post, accurately, is meant to highlight. What kind of people actually believe this sort of conspiratorial backwoods nonsense?
I'm not going that far by any means at all. But its a joke if you think we got a whistle in that game. There's really no need to be any sorts of insecure about it, either. UNC had a great team that year and deserved to win the title.

I think there's bias in any conference. As long as there is a human element to it there will be. I'm not saying it's overpowering, but it'd be tough to not have prejudices, opinions for teams/coaches/players/loud crowds; all factors that can play a small role in the way a call goes.

There are plenty of gifs, pictures out there that prove that. Or maybe they were just missed calls . . . either way it wasn't the right call. Those pics and gifs only show the outcome of the call, not the reason behind the error.

Jordan is awful.

NBA literally stopped calling, and nothing I’ve seen from him in high major CBB tells me he should be at that level either.

I'm not going that far by any means at all. But its a joke if you think we got a whistle in that game. There's really no need to be any sorts of insecure about it, either. UNC had a great team that year and deserved to win the title.

I think I could find just as many calls that went your way as you could that went our way. There are games were bad calls cost every team though. There are games UK has won because of some iffy calls (the same with UNC). No doubt about that. There is a massive difference between understanding that and thinking certain officials are out to get you though. One is reasonable and the other is what people do to justify the fact they don't win every game they play.

I think I could find just as many calls that went your way as you could that went our way. There are games were bad calls cost every team though. There are games UK has won because of some iffy calls (the same with UNC). No doubt about that. There is a massive difference between understanding that and thinking certain officials are out to get you though. One is reasonable and the other is what people do to justify the fact they don't win every game they play.
I wasn't trying to argue we got a bad whistle, though. I think there were bad calls against both teams in that game. I was screaming for fouls that weren't called just like I'm sure you were on the other end. But truly, I don't think either team got a bad whistle in that game. Most UK fans won't agree with me, but honestly I was just really bummed we lost. I think you guys and UK were the best teams in the country that year, and the winner of our game was gonna win the title. I was right, unfortunately it was UNC.

I agree, and wasn’t really meaning you anyway. More just all the UK fans who can’t let it go. It sucks. I’ve been there every year but 4 since I’ve been alive.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I agree, and wasn’t really meaning you anyway. More just all the UK fans who can’t let it go. It sucks. I’ve been there every year but 4 since I’ve been alive.
I agree with @JimboBBN . Maye could have been called for a walk, but truthfully the game is rarely won or lost on one play so it's ultimately not that big of a deal. There were plenty of missed free throws/shots, turnovers by UK . . . just like every other team. UNC had a great team, and were just as deserving.

Reactions: JimboBBN
At least I’m not delusional.

Delusional isn’t the word. You’re too smart for that imo. Probably a little on the naive side though.

I’ll elaborate. I think one would have to be naive to think everything’s above board when that much money is on the line. Too much has happened for that to be even remotely believable. But if I was a fan of program that was recently exonerated for 20 plus years of cheating by the governing body I’d probably want to think the same way. I’m human too.

Last edited:
Kentucky is 12-12 in games with Roger Ayers calling. **** him

Kentucky is 3-5 with John Higgins. Super **** him.

49-15 with Anthony Jordan. Not too many ****s sent his way although that is below our historic win %

At least I’m not delusional.

Delusional isn’t the word. You’re too smart for that imo. Probably a little on the naive side though.

I’ll elaborate. I think one would have to be naive to think everything’s above board when that much money is on the line. Too much has happened for that to be even remotely believable. But if I was a fan of program that was recently exonerated for 20 plus years of cheating by the governing body I’d probably want to think the same way. I’m human too.

A little surprised you are one of them tbh. However, if you think it is dirty then maybe it is dirty to benefit your team.

A little surprised you are one of them tbh. However, if you think it is dirty then maybe it is dirty to benefit your team.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I just don’t think the NCAA really wants John Calipari to be the face of the sport. But honestly? I’d be more suprised if we haven’t benefitted from it at some point. I’m thinking Pitino years.

My guess is that Kentucky has benefited far more from officiaiting than they have been hurt by it. So yes, officiating is biased.
You don't know jack shit about Kentucky apparently. Geeze.

Edit; I will bet that you have not watched ten UK basketball games in your life. I know that I have not watched ten Virginia games in my life as they refuse to play basketball. I choose to watch grass grow.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised. I just don’t think the NCAA really wants John Calipari to be the face of the sport. But honestly? I’d be more suprised if we haven’t benefitted from it at some point. I’m thinking Pitino years.
As long as Coach K is at Duke he’ll be the premier name in CBB. He deserves that with his 5 titles, 12 Final Fours and consistently ranked top 5 teams. John Calipari is easily the 2nd or 3rd biggest name in the sport right now and he has been for nearly 10 years.

Reactions: Montana81
So when Kentucky wins, it's because they have superior talent/athletes but when Kentucky loses, it's because of biased officiating against UK. Gotcha.

Not from me. I don't say that shit except in '17 in the NCAA tourney. I was talking about any perceived advantage UK gets from refs might be because their athletes are better and harder to guard.

UNC did pay roughly $20 mil in lawyer fees while defending themselves in the middle of the academic scandal. Might as well go all in and be fully invested in the season, right? o_O

TBH, to f this situation with this ref had happened and the opponent would have been a UNC or UK or other big program the uproar would have been huge from their fans.

ADVERTISEMENT