ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA to the B1G?

Are any power conferences going to be extending invites to Oregon State or Washington State? Those programs, more than likely, will offer diminishing returns.

Also, how are these 20-team mega-conferences going to pull off a conference tournament? That's a lot of potential games heading into the NCAA Tournament. Maybe teams that finish in the 17-20 range aren't eligible for the tournament? And follow the Big East format where teams that finished 9th-16th play on opening night? Not sure. But, could be fun/interesting/messy to see how mega conferences navigate that hurdle.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Are any power conferences going to be extending invites to Oregon State or Washington State? Those programs, more than likely, will offer diminishing returns.

Also, how are these 20-team mega-conferences going to pull off a conference tournament? That's a lot of potential games heading into the NCAA Tournament. Maybe teams that finish in the 17-20 range aren't eligible for the tournament? And follow the Big East format where teams that finished 9th-16th play on opening night? Not sure. But, could be fun/interesting/messy to see how mega conferences navigate that hurdle.
Probably how the big did a time or two and do it a week early. That's just details at this point, they won't let that get in the way of money.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Big 12 being proactive. Need to make sure they come out of this round of realignment as the #3 football conference and the #1 basketball conference.

If Oregon and Washington receive invites from both the Big Ten and Big 12, why would they side with the Big 12? Just seems like the Big Ten is infinitely more stable and lucrative.

It wouldn’t be a question. They’d go B1G. I guess Oregon and Washington are down the list for B1G it sounds like. Long way too go to figure this all out.

If Oregon and Washington receive invites from both the Big Ten and Big 12, why would they side with the Big 12? Just seems like the Big Ten is infinitely more stable and lucrative.

They won't. But they would probably consider the Big 12 if that Big Ten invite never comes

Reactions: dukedevilz
The only elite academic institution in the whole conference?? Would definitely be an SEC move, lol.

Absolutely. Classes are pointless.

buckeyetweet.png

Guess it's a good thing the SEC is an athletic conference then, huh?

giphy.gif
Lol, well its main competition (the Big Ten) is unfortunately a “money conference,” and research money is HUGE for AAU members … some of that money winds up in the athletic war chest at each school.

Only real point, jokes aside, is that Vandy is very valuable to the SEC. Much more valuable than a hypothetically “good” Mississippi State or something, for example.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
It wouldn’t be a question. They’d go B1G. I guess Oregon and Washington are down the list for B1G it sounds like. Long way too go to figure this all out.

From what I'm hearing, it's not necessarily that. The issue is ND is the only school available that's worth expanding for. Even if a school like Oregon were 2nd on the Big Ten's wish list (which has been reported), it only makes sense financially if Notre Dame eventually jumps on board.

From what I'm hearing, it's not necessarily that. The issue is ND is the only school available that's worth expanding for. Even if a school like Oregon were 2nd on the Big Ten's wish list (which has been reported), it only makes sense financially if Notre Dame eventually jumps on board.

Yeah B1G definitely seems now to be in a holding pattern waiting for Notre Dame.

Do you think Washington/Oregon wait for B1G, jump at offer to go to Big 12, or try and convince the other schools thinking of leaving to rebuild Pac 12?

Yeah B1G definitely seems now to be in a holding pattern waiting for Notre Dame.

Do you think Washington/Oregon wait for B1G, jump at offer to go to Big 12, or try and convince the other schools thinking of leaving to rebuild Pac 12?

Why wouldn't they wait the Big Ten out? The PAC and Big 12 aren't going to exclude them, they're too valuable for a potential TV deal to be left out.

The big question is IF the Big Ten says no, does joining the Big 12 benefit them financially vs. staying in the PAC?

Why wouldn't they wait the Big Ten out? The PAC and Big 12 aren't going to exclude them, they're too valuable for a potential TV deal to be left out.

The big question is IF the Big Ten says no, does joining the Big 12 benefit them financially vs. staying in the PAC?

I honestly don’t know why B1G don’t extend Washington and Oregon invites already imo. If I’m B1G I’d be all about taking Oregon with the NIKE connection.

Reactions: duckboy33
I honestly don’t know why B1G don’t extend Washington and Oregon invites already imo. If I’m B1G I’d be all about taking Oregon with the NIKE connection.

Big Ten is looking at a MONSTER contract right now. It's an extremely high bar in order to add more value to that contract. I think it's clear that the WA/Oregon isn't enough for the Big Ten to pull the trigger. I think the Big Ten feels they need ND in order to make expansion worth it. If ND says yes, I think that greatly increases the odds that Oregon gets an invite

Big Ten and SEC might be content as they are. Both will be at 16 members after adding Texas, OU, UCLA, and USC. Two 8-team divisions, I assume. Any more than that and the scheduling gets really wonky. It will already be a chore trying to get balanced scheduling, especially in football. Then you have the issue of intraconference rivalry games which I would expect will get played every year, so that leaves even less wiggle room in scheduling. If anything I would expect the ACC to try and poach two more members, likely from the Big 12. Then whoever is left from Pac 12 and Big 12 combines into one conference. That would leave us with 4 major conferences of 16 teams each. IDK, that makes the most sense to me though. ND could throw a wrench into all of it though with their stupid football independence. ACC should just tell them they either need to join the conference in football or withdrawal from the conference completely. They aren't making much money off ND anyway without football. They'd definitely fit better in the Big 10, but since just about all their other sports are already in the ACC that makes the most sense. In a perfect world, Maryland would just go back to the ACC and Notre Dame would join the Big 10. Imagine being UCLA and USC fans right now. All of their away games are going to be in the midwest/northeast except when they play each other. 😂 😂 😂 *Hawaii is laughing....

Sorry to post this here, but I can't seem to create a Conversation post on this site, through my phone at least.

How do you go about reporting spam accounts when they limit their profiles so that the report feature is no longer visible, and its clear that they have not yet been deleted/banned and only intentionally did that so that they can't get reported?.............

*I'll delete this post after I hear back from you
Good question. What are the handles? I know who you're talking about. I've banned at least 5-6 in the past few weeks (the Iowa troll accounts). We used to be able to block IP addresses... can't do that anymore.

One on this site, anyway, is iowa_potato
That account doesn't have a posting history, only reactions, so he hasn't really done anything to warrant a blacklist/ban (at least not under that handle). I've deleted plenty with vulgar handles but iowa_potato doesn't really warrant that either. I'm only supposed to interject for things that happen on this board, specifically. You'll have to consult the mods on the football board for this one.

So the ACC making a play now for the PAC teams that are considering joining the Big 12?

So the ACC making a play now for the PAC teams that are considering joining the Big 12?

There's lots of chatter out there. I'm sure everyone is feeling out their options right now and seeing what makes sense financially. The crazy long shot move is to merge the top players in each conference and have one national conference.

Washington
Oregon
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Kansas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Iowa State
Florida State
Miami FL
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Syracuse
Virginia
Louisville

That's probably better than any revenue model those teams are currently looking at. It's a long shot though.

Are they? If I were the ACC I would probably target two of the remaining Big 12 schools. WVU and another one (Kansas, OSU, or Iowa State would probably make the most sense). But if they don't give a shit about regionality then it would be probably be wise to pursue Oregon and Washington. Having Kansas and WVU in the ACC would be awesome for basketball though.

There's lots of chatter out there. I'm sure everyone is feeling out their options right now and seeing what makes sense financially. The crazy long shot move is to merge the top players in each conference and have one national conference.

Washington
Oregon
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Kansas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Iowa State
Florida State
Miami FL
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Syracuse
Virginia
Louisville

That's probably better than any revenue model those teams are currently looking at. It's a long shot though.

This would be the best outcome for the top teams. Definitive #3 conference for football but clear #1 conference for basketball.

Are they? If I were the ACC I would probably target two of the remaining Big 12 schools. WVU and another one (Kansas, OSU, or Iowa State would probably make the most sense). But if they don't give a shit about regionality then it would be probably be wise to pursue Oregon and Washington. Having Kansas and WVU in the ACC would be awesome for basketball though.

Someone said it doesn’t seem likely those PAC teams would go ACC over Big 12 just based on cost of travel and logistic issues but you never know. They also said the Big 12 stuff with those PAC schools was starting to move really quickly and the ACC did not want to get left behind as they may start to be raided by B1G and SEC soon. This could be a ploy by ACC just to slow down the process by throwing their names in the hat.

Someone said the PAC commissioner sounded very defeated in his update today and basically gave those schools the ok to look elsewhere while still holding out hope of keeping PAC together.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
This would be the best outcome for the top teams. Definitive #3 conference for football but clear #1 conference for basketball.

Basketball would be insane...half the conference has made the Final Four in the last decade. And one of the programs that hasn't is Arizona!

And while Football would be #3, not by as much as people would originally think. They've had 4 programs make the CFP. Big Ten has had 3 and the SEC has had 4.

Someone said it doesn’t seem likely those PAC teams would go ACC over Big 12 just based on cost of travel and logistic issues but you never know. They also said the Big 12 stuff with those PAC schools was starting to move really quickly and the ACC did not want to get left behind as they may start to be raided by B1G and SEC soon. This could be a ploy by ACC just to slow down the process by throwing their names in the hat.

Someone said the PAC commissioner sounded very defeated in his update today and basically gave those schools the ok to look elsewhere while still holding out hope of keeping PAC together.
Yeah, I don't see any PAC teams going to the ACC, but I could see some Big 12 teams wanting to jump at it. Cincinnati would be a better a better fit in the ACC than Big 12 and would immediately be one of their better football programs.

There’s so much misinformation out there with this realignment. This morning it was 4-6 PAC schools in deep conversations to join Big 12. This evening it’s “ACC/PAC discussing merger”. Pretty sure both are probably BS. It seems right now so much is just posturing at the moment.

There’s so much misinformation out there with this realignment. This morning it was 4-6 PAC schools in deep conversations to join Big 12. This evening it’s “ACC/PAC discussing merger”. Pretty sure both are probably BS. It seems right now so much is just posturing at the moment.

What's hilarious is the most likely outcome could be everyone staying put

It’s kind of fascinating that it’s currently not even crystal clear what the pecking order of “stability” is among the other three conferences besides the B1G and SEC. It’s so up in the air that you could conceivably make multiple different arguments.

That account doesn't have a posting history, only reactions, so he hasn't really done anything to warrant a blacklist/ban (at least not under that handle). I've deleted plenty with vulgar handles but iowa_potato doesn't really warrant that either. I'm only supposed to interject for things that happen on this board, specifically. You'll have to consult the mods on the football board for this one.
No problem. Yeah they're just meant to be "like" spam accounts so that everyone can see the username. In this case, while not vulgar, its just meant to troll Iowa fans.

But that's alright. I can bring it up with the mods on the FB board. I just didn't want to draw attention since the person doing it frequents that board.

And like I said, I would've made a Conversation message, but I seem to only be able to read messages sent to me. I can't create one......

Let It Go Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: iowa_potato
Here's what I'm thinking will happen...

Arizona and Arizona State will get the ball rolling and join the Big 12. Utah and Colorado will quickly follow suit.

Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford are all hoping to hear from the Big Ten. The BT is interested, but only if ND jumps on board, which won't happen. Oregon and Washington settle for the Big 12. Cal and Stanford join the ACC (although I wouldn't rule-out independent status for Stanford).

Oregon State and Washington State find themselves homeless. They come to grips with reality and agree to a deal with the Mountain West.

His profile pic definitely passes the credibility-eye-test. No question.

4bc3c8d2c39c2029949f3775dee79427_400x400.jpeg
Do you think unc and duke are locked in together on this? I think unc is going to be a very attractive candidate for the SEC and big 10

Do you think unc and duke are locked in together on this? I think unc is going to be a very attractive candidate for the SEC and big 10

You gotta look out for your best interest. UNC is going to have more options than us, no question. If FSU and Clemson leave the conference, which is likely, then I think UNC absolutely follows suit. And they won't really care about leaving Duke and NC State behind. They know it's a business.

You gotta look out for your best interest. UNC is going to have more options than us, no question. If FSU and Clemson leave the conference, which is likely, then I think UNC absolutely follows suit. And they won't really care about leaving Duke and NC State behind. They know it's a business.
Agreed. I think Miami is a tricky one. The SEC isn’t going to want the big ten getting them and having a school in that recruiting hot bed.

Gonzaga worked a deal with the WCC to earn a higher percentage of the conference revenue so it wasn't evenly distributed among all 10 schools. Not sure on the details of that WCC contract, but I'm wondering if the ACC could entice Clemson and Florida State with similar deals, where they get to keep more of the money that they rightfully brought in.

ADVERTISEMENT