ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA to the B1G?

Holy freaking crap. Can they survive this? They're already the 6th best conference most years in football and basketball.

Guessing they go after San Diego State and Boise State??

This makes me completely rethink the way college athletics will realign down the road. I was very confident we would end up with four super conferences that would completely break away from the NCAA and create their own standards and rules.

Not sure if this changes anything but the amount conferences that will stay alive, but this will cause crazy speculation. The PAC will be hurting after this.

ACC raids Big 12. Pac 10 and Big 12 merge. 4 conferences.

Geographically, West Virginia makes a lot of sense. But, it seems like conferences are more interested in expanding their markets; there's this constant push to bring in more viewers, and I suppose the best way to do that is make your conference more national than regional. So, maybe we'd go after the likes of Stanford, Oregon, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State - instead of say West Virginia, UCF, or UConn.

Geographically, West Virginia makes a lot of sense. But, it seems like conferences are more interested in expanding their markets; there's this constant push to bring in more viewers, and I suppose the best way to do that is make your conference more national than regional. So, maybe we'd go after the likes of Stanford, Oregon, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State - instead of say West Virginia, UCF, or UConn.
Houston and Kansas would be the best choices. Notre Dame if they wanna come. If they do, you can add Oklahoma State also.

Houston and Kansas would be the best choices. Notre Dame if they wanna come. If they do, you can add Oklahoma State also.

Yeah, everyone would want Notre Dame, no question.

If this were just basketball, Houston and Kansas would be slam dunks. But, football essentially dictates the whole structuring of a conference. Houston has had a couple of really solid seasons. Kansas obviously has not.

If I'm limiting this to just B12/P12, I'd take Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Iowa State ahead of Houston.

Yeah, everyone would want Notre Dame, no question.

If this were just basketball, Houston and Kansas would be slam dunks. But, football essentially dictates the whole structuring of a conference. Houston has had a couple of really solid seasons. Kansas obviously has not.

If I'm limiting this to just B12/P12, I'd take Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Iowa State ahead of Houston.
It's about Houston's market though.

Anyone else seeing the rumor that Kansas is trying to get into the Big East and go independent in football?

there is now way that guy was not trying to be funny...I assume KU going indy in football was the punchline

This works out well. Now the Pac 12 can actually step down a level with the Big 12 and they can battle each other for mid-major superiority. 😁 They've already been playing like a mid-major for most of this century anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Most likely, yes. Also, the Pac-12 has never had any religiously affiliated schools. I've never realistically thought they were going to the Pac-12, but I'd still like to see it happen.
I would too. SDSU and/or Boise State would be solid additions though. You're not gonna do much better than either of those 2 schools if you're looking to add mid-majors.

someone better hike out to a remote nudist community in Mojave Desert so we can get Bill Walton’s take on this.

“conference of champions” is dead and his school killed it

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I would too. SDSU and/or Boise State would be solid additions though. You're not gonna do much better than either of those 2 schools if you're looking to add mid-majors.

Yeah, SDSU and Boise State seem like the two most likely additions. The only other school that might have a strong case is UNLV. Obviously their football program is very Kansas-ish, so that might worry the Pac-12 folks. But, that Vegas market has to be a little intriguing.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
FWifmOvUYAA3n8b

I really wish UNC would go to the SEC.
I mean at some point it’s not smart to add so many good football teams. There is going to be a lot of unhappy fan bases.

perhaps the SEC decides to dominate basketball too. Adding KU and UNC adds some rest weeks in football and gives the SEC to be the most dominant conference in all football and basketball.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I mean at some point it’s not smart to add so many good football teams. There is going to be a lot of unhappy fan bases.

perhaps the SEC decides to dominate basketball too. Adding KU and UNC adds some rest weeks in football and gives the SEC to be the most dominant conference in all football and basketball.

That would be awesome. I would love to see both of those added there.

Yes please.

Reactions: cdbearde
Yeah, SDSU and Boise State seem like the two most likely additions. The only other school that might have a strong case is UNLV. Obviously their football program is very Kansas-ish, so that might worry the Pac-12 folks. But, that Vegas market has to be a little intriguing.
The market in Vegas is great, and they basically host all the conference tournaments on the west coast now. Nobody there gives a shit about UNLV though. It's a commuter school. It was probably different when they were good back in the Tark years and they were the only show in town. They're even less of a draw now that the Golden Knights and Raiders are in town. I think Vegas will also get a MLB and/or NBA team at some point in the near future.

Reactions: dukedevilz
@coryfly @lurkeraspect84

I know it is a pipe dream but you have to think it should at least be considered. When the universities break away from the ncaa, basketball will be worth more.

Big ten can add USC/UCLA/Notre dame but SEC will still be king.

The football playoffs will likely be 8 teams eventually. Realistically the SEC can expect to get 4 teams at most. Florida, UGA, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M and Ole Miss competitive enough.

Feel like the SEC would take great pride in dominating the 2 major sports.

@coryfly @lurkeraspect84

I know it is a pipe dream but you have to think it should at least be considered. When the universities break away from the ncaa, basketball will be worth more.

Big ten can add USC/UCLA/Notre dame but SEC will still be king.

The football playoffs will likely be 8 teams eventually. Realistically the SEC can expect to get 4 teams at most. Florida, UGA, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M and Ole Miss competitive enough.

Feel like the SEC would take great pride in dominating the 2 major sports.
Duke can say in the ACC and so can the other Big 12 teams. UNC and KU would be perfect.

Dream scenario.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT