ADVERTISEMENT

Updated polls: AP and CBS top 25 and 1

Alabama has won 8 straight games by double-digits. They look really, really good.

Alabama has won 8 straight games by double-digits. They look really, really good.
Let's take a deeper dive in that:

Those wins:

3 Quad 1 wins:
@ NET 63 Mississippi State that is in freefall and has lost 8 of 9
@ NET 27 Arkansas that has lost 2 starters to injury and has lost 5 of 7
@ NET 58 Missouri that got fat on a weak schedule and an odd shellacking of Kansas but has since lost 4 of 6

2 quad 2 wins:
NET 38 Kentucky that has looked oddly pedestrian.
@ NET 84 Vandy that has lost to the likes of Grambling State

2 Quad 3 wins:
NET 104 Ole Miss that started 6-0 but is 3-10 since
NET 130 LSU that has lost 6 straight and is clearly one of the worst teams in P6

1 Quad 4 win:
NET 322 Jackson State

I'm not discounting that Bama is good. They are really good. But the schedule has provided some measure of relief leading to those double digit wins.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Let's take a deeper dive in that:

Those wins:

3 Quad 1 wins:
@ NET 63 Mississippi State that is in freefall and has lost 8 of 9
@ NET 27 Arkansas that has lost 2 starters to injury and has lost 5 of 7
@ NET 58 Missouri that got fat on a weak schedule and an odd shellacking of Kansas but has since lost 4 of 6

2 quad 2 wins:
NET 38 Kentucky that has looked oddly pedestrian.
@ NET 84 Vandy that has lost to the likes of Grambling State

2 Quad 3 wins:
NET 104 Ole Miss that started 6-0 but is 3-10 since
NET 130 LSU that has lost 6 straight and is clearly one of the worst teams in P6

1 Quad 4 win:
NET 322 Jackson State

I'm not discounting that Bama is good. They are really good. But the schedule has provided some measure of relief leading to those double digit wins.

lol sounds like you're ready to discount the entire SEC.

If they were struggling to win, similar to Auburn in 2020, then yeah, I'd pump the brakes quite a bit. But they're not just winning, they're smashing teams. Those 3 Q1 road wins were all very convincing. Q1 road games are never easy.

And it's odd when you downplay teams like Vanderbilt losing to Grambling State. I mean, it's a a Q2 game. Every team is going to have warts. On the flip side, you could say Miss State has beaten Marquette, Missouri has beaten Illinois, and Kentucky has won on the road against Tennessee.

lol sounds like you're ready to discount the entire SEC.

If they were struggling to win, similar to Auburn in 2020, then yeah, I'd pump the brakes quite a bit. But they're not just winning, they're smashing teams. Those 3 Q1 road wins were all very convincing. Q1 road games are never easy.

And it's odd when you downplay teams like Vanderbilt losing to Grambling State. I mean, it's a a Q2 game. Every team is going to have warts. On the flip side, you could say Miss State has beaten Marquette, Missouri has beaten Illinois, and Kentucky has won on the road against Tennessee.
I think its more about trends with the better teams they've beaten.

I don't think you'll find many people who believe Arkansas without Brazile and Smith is the 27th best team (their NET ranking). I'll be honest. The NET is just weird to me this year. Arkansas at 27th in the NET with only 3 Q1/Q2 wins is strange to me.

Mississippi State's only win since before Christmas is a home win over #104 Ole Miss and they have just 2 Q1/Q2 wins all year.

Gene Keady had a frequent saying that "It's not who you play but when you play them". Playing Missouri in December would have been impressive. In January...not so much.

Last edited:
I think its more about trends with the better teams they've beaten. I don't think you'll find may people who believe Arkansas without Brazile and Smith is the 27th best team (their NET ranking). I'll be honest. The NET is just weird to me this year. Arkansas at 27th in the NET with only 3 Q1/Q2 wins is strange to me.

Mississippi State's only win since before Christmas is a home win over #104 Ole Miss and they have just 2 Q1/Q2 wins all year.

Gene Keady had a frequent saying that "It's not who you play but when you play them". Playing Missouri in December would have been impressive. In January...not so much.

Nick Smith played 1 game against a P6 school. I don't think you could say his absence has drastically altered how Arkansas is playing now from the first half of the season. Brazile is a big loss, though. No question. Silver lining for them is Pinnion is starting to get more minutes and he's clearly the best shooter on the team. Not a serious title threat anymore, but they're still a team that is capable of advancing to the Sweet 16.

Miss State obviously isn't an elite team. But, they're still okay, NIT type team. And winning on the road still isn't easy. They didn't lose to any bad teams and all of the games were relatively close, minus the one to Tennessee.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT