ADVERTISEMENT

UNC hasn't won at UVA since 2012

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
8 straight losses at UVA.

That's now the longest road losing streak against one opponent in UNC basketball history.

Yeesh.

Virginia has cucked Duke and UNC for ACC superiority and that is impressive. How much does Bennett make a year again? Uh…asking for a friend 😋

Virginia has cucked Duke and UNC for ACC superiority and that is impressive. How much does Bennett make a year again? Uh…asking for a friend 😋

$3.65 million/year. Don't think money is that big of a motivator though since he basically gave his raise from winning the natty away to others. UK and Bennett are just not a good match for either side.

Eh, Virginia hasn't really cucked Duke. But if it makes a UK fan feel better by saying that, go for it.

We've struggled vs. Duke for sure. Hoping that changes with Bennett vs. Scheyer. On the flip side, we've been more dominant in conference overall the last decade or so than Duke.

And in that time frame UNC has been to 3 title games and won 1. As a UK fan I’m sure you would take something similar to that.

Yeah it's not like losing to UVA has hurt UNC's success. Makes me feel even better about UVA's success vs. UNC. I think the key for UNC against UVA though is a stretch 4. Roy always played 2 bigs and that was not successful. When Hubert has a guy like Manek, we will struggle vs. UNC. Obviously, no Bacot was huge last night too. I'm sure we lose if Bacot doesn't get hurt.

And in that time frame UNC has been to 3 title games and won 1. As a UK fan I’m sure you would take something similar to that.

Hell yeah. I’d take just about anything right now. I’d take crave case and a bottle of pepto over the shit sandwich that is currently kentucky basketball.

But Virginia has owned the ACC for the better part of the last decade now. That’s all i was saying.

But Virginia has owned the ACC for the better part of the last decade now. That’s all i was saying.

Virginia emerged as a nationally elite team during 2013-14. They've had more success in the regular season, yes. But, it's interesting when you look at the wins in the ACC & NCAA Tournaments.

ACC Tournament Wins (2014- Present)
Duke - 16
UNC - 14
Virginia - 13

NCAA Tournament Wins (2014- Present)
UNC- 22
Duke- 19
Virginia- 13

Combined ACC & NCAA Tournament Wins (2014- Present)
UNC- 36
Duke- 35
Virginia- 26

UK, UNC and slightly Duke on their way to suckville. What am I supposed to do, shmooze with UCLA fans? Geez

• Haha
Reactions: jhmossy
$3.65 million/year. Don't think money is that big of a motivator though since he basically gave his raise from winning the natty away to others. UK and Bennett are just not a good match for either side.

We've struggled vs. Duke for sure. Hoping that changes with Bennett vs. Scheyer. On the flip side, we've been more dominant in conference overall the last decade or so than Duke.

Yeah it's not like losing to UVA has hurt UNC's success. Makes me feel even better about UVA's success vs. UNC. I think the key for UNC against UVA though is a stretch 4. Roy always played 2 bigs and that was not successful. When Hubert has a guy like Manek, we will struggle vs. UNC. Obviously, no Bacot was huge last night too. I'm sure we lose if Bacot doesn't get hurt.

Bennett is that good. I dread playing you guys because more times than not it’s going to be an L.

Virginia emerged as a nationally elite team during 2013-14. They've had more success in the regular season, yes. But, it's interesting when you look at the wins in the ACC & NCAA Tournaments.

Duke - 16
UNC - 14
Virginia - 13

UNC- 22
Duke- 19
Virginia- 13

UNC- 36
Duke- 35
Virginia- 26

Interesting data. UVA has been a regular season juggernaut. Maybe the approach doesn't allow for an "extra gear" that UNC and Duke have in the tournament. Good news is that Bennett remains and K and Roy are gone. Will definitely be interested to look at the numbers over the next 10 years or so.

UVA is very physical and gets a pretty favorable whistle there and UNC has often not handled that well. Need to be tougher. I thought they actually were tougher last night though. Losing Bacot hurt but they were in control of the game until they decided to play McKoy so many minutes. The team was +11 in the first half without him and +9 with him and he was -16 overall. That was just bad lineups by the coach. At one point had four players on the court who combined average 14 points a game this year and that was along with Love, who is so hot and cold he could play like a dude who averages 30 or 10. Just a really dumb thing to do and sure enough UVA turned an 6 point deficit into a 7 point lead in like three and a half minutes.

They definitely have the upper hand at their place.

Duke - 16
UNC - 14
Virginia - 13

UNC- 22
Duke- 19
Virginia- 13

UNC- 36
Duke- 35
Virginia- 26
Yep. Actually looked at tourney resumes for Carolina/UVA and realized comparing Virginia post season expectations w those of Carolina and Duke just aren’t the same, which is why it feels the way it does. Saying that, UVA still owns us H2H lately.

Reactions: dukedevilz
It does help when you can do this and not get called for a foul late in a close game.

775jqg.gif

11565803.jpeg

Or pull a player on top of you and get a charge called.

I actually UNC got a great whistle for large parts of the second half on fouls that could go either way.

These two plays could not go either way. You simply shouldn't be allowed to get paid to officiate when your this bad. It consistently happens at their place and is one of the reasons they often flame out in the tournament when they don't get that stuff.

I’m worried about your health @coryfly. That’s a lot of salt.

Nah, thought they did pretty well considering they were missing two of their best guys and Hubert doesn't really develop a bench. Plus, Virginia is just a better team. If you all didn't suck it up from the line last night it would have been much worse.

But those two calls aren't like subjective maybe he arm barred him or something calls. They are just officials blatantly being incompetent, but officials are almost always incompetent when it comes to charge calls. It helps when you can just foul constantly and convince everyone you are 'playing defense'.

Nah, thought they did pretty well considering they were missing two of their best guys and Hubert doesn't really develop a bench. Plus, Virginia is just a better team. If you all didn't suck it up from the line last night it would have been much worse.

But those two calls aren't like subjective maybe he arm barred him or something calls. They are just officials blatantly being incompetent, but officials are almost always incompetent when it comes to charge calls. It helps when you can just foul constantly and convince everyone you are 'playing defense'.

One positive of Kentucky sucking this season is its kind of nice to know without a doubt the officiating isn’t going to impact our season.

One positive of Kentucky sucking this season is its kind of nice to know without a doubt the officiating isn’t going to impact our season.

Ha, there legit have only been two games in my life (and I'm kind of old) where I thought officiating actually cost UNC the game.

Reactions: cdbearde
I think K went 12-4 against Bennett. Duke hasn’t struggled with UVA like UNC has.

Roy struggled against UVA big time but his offense was always going to and it didn't really make sense to alter it a lot for one game a year.

In theory Hubert's offense should fare better but not when you play a guy big minutes that simply is not a D1 level player. That just shouldn't happen at UNC (and we have enough players for it not to happen).

Doesn't help that are two lead guards can't handle ball pressure.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Interesting data. UVA has been a regular season juggernaut. Maybe the approach doesn't allow for an "extra gear" that UNC and Duke have in the tournament. Good news is that Bennett remains and K and Roy are gone. Will definitely be interested to look at the numbers over the next 10 years or so.

UVA's success over the past decade has been awfully impressive. I'm not sure what to make of the discrepancies in March. Duke is always young, so it makes sense that we'd play better as the season progresses. UNC, however, usually has a fairly experienced team.

The fewer possessions aspect always makes me pause with UVA. The margin for error is significantly less. And I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I feel like you see much, much less of the transition game in the NCAA Tournament. Games are won in the halfcourt, so I think teams are a little more prepared for UVA when their previous 2 games required them to get the lion's share of points against set defenses.

Hubert and Scheyer have both gone through some rough stretches. It really feels like both programs have lost a bit of their luster. Dealing with continuous turnover obviously doesn't help, but it genuinely feels like both programs are a notch below where they were with Roy and K at the helm.

Feel like Bennett loves Virginia and doesn't have any intention of leaving. Some coaches make more, but he seems like someone that's not overly concerned with that accolade. I think he'll be at Virginia for the next 15 years. Wouldn't be overly shocking if Virginia continues to get the better of UNC and Duke in ACC play.

they were in control of the game until they decided to play McKoy so many minutes.

Was McKoy really ahead of Jalen Washington in the rotation up until the UVA game the other night? Because wow! McKoy looks like someone you only play in desperation - and Washington looks like a future NBA player.

Feel like Bennett loves Virginia and doesn't have any intention of leaving. Some coaches make more, but he seems like someone that's not overly concerned with that accolade. I think he'll be at Virginia for the next 15 years. Wouldn't be overly shocking if Virginia continues to get the better of UNC and Duke in ACC play.

We'd be lucky if we get him for another 15 years. I don't think he'll coach that much longer tbh. 10 years at the max imo. I don't see him leaving for another coaching position though.

We'd be lucky if we get him for another 15 years. I don't think he'll coach that much longer tbh. 10 years at the max imo. I don't see him leaving for another coaching position though.

Why 10 years max?

Why 10 years max?

He's just made comments in postgame press conferences that make me think he won't do it THAT much longer. How he never thought he would get into coaching, understanding what's unconditional in his life, etc. I hope I'm wrong but 10 years seems reasonable to me based on those types of comments. He'll be 63 and that seems like a good retirement age. He also doesn't seem to love the portal and NIL so I could see him getting fed up with it quicker than others.

Was McKoy really ahead of Jalen Washington in the rotation up until the UVA game the other night? Because wow! McKoy looks like someone you only play in desperation - and Washington looks like a future NBA player.

Not really. Jalen had major knee issues and wasn't even ready at the beginning of the year. I think he only started playing in December and he played more minutes than McKoy. Hubert finally started phasing McKoy out. The other night with Bacot out his feeling was that he needed someone bigger to spell Washington but UVA went small so that didn't make sense. But him playing McKoy has never made sense. If someone else played other than McKoy the other night UNC may have won. IDK,it's just silly, especially silly to have Trimble, Leaky, McKoy, and Nickel playing together with Love (who has struggled big time lately). That run with those guys is basically what cost them the game but I don't have faith that he believes that.

McKoy should be getting spot minutes at a D2 school. It's just baffling.

UVA simply cannot withstand a hot streak from the opponent. They are based on defense, and good offense always beats good defense. If someone is on fire, UVA can't out score them with their offense and it's over.

And yes McKoy has been played ahead of Washington. No one knows why he won't play Tyler Nickel and why McKoy ever sees the court. If you find out why, let us know. Nickel will probably transfer to UVA if this continues the rest of the season. It's ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT