ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs LSU

Both UK guards got hurt?
Wheeler ran into a blindside screen about 4 minutes into the game and was out the rest of the game. Washington left the game with bad cramping with maybe 12 minutes left. Came back in for a minute or so and was clearly hobbled so came back out.

Just curious what anyone would do minus basically their only two full-time ballhandlers. It's not like you can magically coach a team into scoring without anyone to run the offense through with a bunch of dudes on the floor that can't handle the ball.
It’s not all on Cal but there is a pattern of UK struggling at the end of a lot of big games. All I’m saying.

Just curious what anyone would do minus basically their only two full-time ballhandlers. It's not like you can magically coach a team into scoring without anyone to run the offense through with a bunch of dudes on the floor that can't handle the ball.
Mintz is the backup pg no? I know tyty is a combo, but if he and wheeler start, mintz has to be the backup, or no?

and you dont have to be abke to handle to ball to get an entry pass to oscar and wait for the double and find the open man.

But ur right its def not on cal, i mean hell lsu prett much won the game off lucky ass bounces from fts and threes.

Yea man made it even harder on me and my bet smdh. Sadly id gradys buzzer shot woukda went i still woukda pushed.

mintz killed yall imo. And obv the injuries, but mintz was decent last year, he played pretty terrible tonight.

Plus refs were garbage, even when they called a foul on lsu it directly coat uk two points. They did it twice on one possession that ended in oscar missing the front end.

bad ft shooting must be a state wide thing, geeeeze
Mintz has been terrible all year. He was their leading scorer and assist man last year. That's why they were 9-16.😆

Not having anyone to initiate the offense is what did them in. They went like 9 or 10 minutes with 2 points. Stupid turnovers too, which is what happens when both of your primary ballhandlers are out of the game. All the bricked free throws definitely killed them too. They are actually a pretty good free throw shooting team, usually, at >74% on the year. Of course it's not usually Lance Ware (0-4) shooting them.

Mintz has been terrible all year. He was their leading scorer and assist man last year. That's why they were 9-16.😆

Not having anyone to initiate the offense is what did them in. They went like 9 or 10 minutes with 2 points. Stupid turnovers too, which is what happens when both of your primary ballhandlers are out of the game. All the bricked free throws definitely killed them too. They are actually a pretty good free throw shooting team, usually, at >74% on the year. Of course it's not usually Lance Ware (0-4) shooting them.
Oscar missed 4-5 too smh. Yea I watched it. I dont think mintz was the reason yall were terrible last year, but ur right hes onv not as good as tyty or wheeler.

Just sucks knowing if not for those fluke injuries and god awful zebras i feel like ida won my bet going away. I thought they were gonna do it anyways……befor the 20-2 run. But agin in the run they called two bs fouls on the floor that negated two wide open dunks/layups smdh tough one to swallow betting wise.

Mintz is the backup pg no? I know tyty is a combo, but if he and wheeler start, mintz has to be the backup, or no?

and you dont have to be abke to handle to ball to get an entry pass to oscar and wait for the double and find the open man.

But ur right its def not on cal, i mean hell lsu prett much won the game off lucky ass bounces from fts and threes.
Mintz is their 3rd PG this year. When he is in the game he is primarily off the ball. Wheeler plays 31 mpg and when he's out of the game it's TyTy running the offense almost always. You gotta be able to handle the ball to even be able to get into position to feed the post. They had a bunch of non-dribblers and bad passers in the game without Wheeler and TyTy. They were making really bad passes and had some stupid turnovers.

Bit yea hardly anything to be worried about for uk fans. Played em to the wire without ur two best guards

Reactions: JC for 3
Mintz is their 3rd PG this year. When he is in the game he is primarily off the ball. Wheeler plays 31 mpg and when he's out of the game it's TyTy running the offense almost always. You gotta be able to handle the ball to even be able to get into position to feed the post. They had a bunch of non-dribblers and bad passers in the game without Wheeler and TyTy. They were making really bad passes and had some stupid turnovers.
Agree to disagree, if u can get it past half court, which even oscar proved he can, make one pass to the wing, u can feed to post. It doesnt have to be the pg. U dont have to be john stockton to get the ball in the post. Hell they coulda run a high low and let toppin feed the post.

that being said, losing ur best two guards is obviously going to hurt you.

Oscar missed 4-5 too smh. Yea I watched it. I dont think mintz was the reason yall were terrible last year, but ur right hes onv not as good as tyty or wheeler.

Just sucks knowing if not for those fluke injuries and god awful zebras i feel like ida won my bet going away. I thought they were gonna do it anyways……befor the 20-2 run. But agin in the run they called two bs fouls on the floor that negated two wide open dunks/layups smdh tough one to swallow betting wise.
I'm not saying Mintz is the reason UK was terrible last year. I'm just saying when he's your leading scorer and assist man it's easy to see why they were terrible. Dude is a role player.

Agree to disagree, if u can get it past half court, which even oscar proved he can, make one pass to the wing, u can feed to post. It doesnt have to be the pg. U dont have to be john stockton to get the ball in the post. Hell they coulda run a high low and let toppin feed the post.

that being said, losing ur best two guards is obviously going to hurt you.
Toppin got the ball poked away from him multiple times at the top of the key.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Also didnt know that about mintz, when he decided to come back i figured it was bc hed have a prominent role and backup the 1 and 2

Also didnt know that about mintz, when he decided to come back i figured it was bc hed have a prominent role and backup the 1 and 2
He still plays 19 mpg, just not as many minutes as last year. He'll come in at the 2 or 3 for TyTy or Grady more than he'll come in to run point. Kind of the result of not having Fredrick this year.

Reactions: Villian07
You can't put that on Cal. Who else is he supposed to put in the game? Can't really expect any offensive flow with both of your starting ballhandlers out of the game.

We’ve scored four points in like 10 minutes. Situation sucks but part of that is without a doubt coaching.
I think the foundational issue is that our teams since ‘15 haven’t really been built to withstand even slight adversity. The last few seasons have brought variables that just undermine our potential and end our season a couple months early. We always have the hurt player with a suspicious amount of healing time, no fans, players not living up to their stars, etc.

Meanwhile Kansas gets closer to bullying away the All Time Wins record. These last few years results are equivalent to Tubby ball record-wise. UK is now 23-25 against top 25 teams. Our time in the sun may be over. Number 1 signing classes have been a sell rather than buy lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: treyforuk
i’m so annoyed right now. Will Wade is 2-2 against us and both wins have been complete gifts. first one on a blown goal tend that was so bad they made a rule for it and another via two starters going down to injury.

This dude was touched by a flippin angel.

i’m so annoyed right now. Will Wade is 2-2 against us and both wins have been complete gifts. first one on a blown goal tend that was so bad they made a rule for it and another via two starters going down to injury.

Some may also say he made the refs a strong ass offer. Not me though.

I don't have anything new to add that I haven't said on Rafters or HoB.

Tonight's game wouldn't matter in a bubble but when it comes after all the other shit.....We've beaten no one so far. Cal has GOT to show me something.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Suck it Kentuckians!
shocked-joey.gif

Sorry this is not at you but i get tired of hearing how uk was “cheated” against lsu on the missed goaltend.

yea it was obv goaltending, but first it was goaltending on uk for slapping the fk out of the backboard when the first layup went up. And spare me the ball wasnt above the cylinder yet bs, if that was legal every team in the nation would have their big man slapping the fk out of the backboard everytime an opposing player went to shoot any type of shot, even from deep, to get the rim moving as much as possible. You cant do that, its goal interference/goaltending period. So two missed goal tends does not equal “gifted a win to LSU”

Sorry this is not at you but i get tired of hearing how uk was “cheated” against lsu on the missed goaltend.

yea it was obv goaltending, but first it was goaltending on uk for slapping the fk out of the backboard when the first layup went up. And spare me the ball wasnt above the cylinder yet bs, if that was legal every team in the nation would have their big man slapping the fk out of the backboard everytime an opposing player went to shoot any type of shot, even from deep, to get the rim moving as much as possible. You cant do that, its goal interference/goaltending period. So two missed goal tends does not equal “gifted a win to LSU”
I feel like I've explained this before. I'm just going to say "OK", from now on.

OK.

Go for it. Its legal to slap the backboard as hard as possible when a shot is going up off the backboard? As long as its not above cylinder? If so thats the rule they need to change.

And why doesnt every team do it everytime a shooter is open from anywhere?

UK's lost their best 3 players, 1 was lost the whole game, 2 were lost for a half. Great crowd, couldn't buy a FT and could’ve won the game....

Is my moral victory.
Who were the other two besides Wheeler?

It says Tshiebwe played 29 minutes.

Tyty missed the majority of the second half, after uk came back from 5 at half to go up 9. Tyty went out and lsu went on a 20-2 run 🤷‍♂️

oscar picked up 2 quick fouls first half and only played 8-9 mins but he played almost all the second half.

Looked more like whiplash. His head definitely bounced back and forth and his eyes looked dazed.
Any news on what the injury was. I figured shoukder or concussion.

and lmao at calling that a flop he ran into dude like he hit a brick wall. Granted ive seen worse with no injury, but i dodnt see a flop.

Any news on what the injury was. I figured shoukder or concussion.

and lmao at calling that a flop he ran into dude like he hit a brick wall. Granted ive seen worse with no injury, but i dodnt see a flop.
Not that i've seen.

Slapping the backboard is not basket interference. If it is egregious enough, it can be called a technical foul. But it is NOT "goaltending".

"Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul."

Slapping the backboard is not basket interference. If it is egregious enough, it can be called a technical foul. But it is NOT "goaltending".

"Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul."
Touche, i stand corrected. I thought it was goaltending. Makes me wonder why every big man doesnt slap the backboard anytime a close shot goes up.

regardless richards made the whole goal shake, so it was def an egregious slap on the board that affected the chances of the layup going in.

But good stuff, i stand corrected. Thats a dum loophole that needs to be changed ino. If i was ancoach id have a big dude slapping the backboard on jump shots.

Reactions: RipThru
ADVERTISEMENT