ADVERTISEMENT

UK needs 6 of 12 games left to hit 10 wins for the season

If your guys played with that energy consistently, and had Johnson back healthy...UF would be a top 5-10 team IMO.

Yea we would have been very good. What’s crazy is that the effort vs. Tennessee was a 10 and most other nights it has been a 5. If we were even at an 8 most nights we’d be a lot better.

Yea we would have been very good. What’s crazy is that the effort vs. Tennessee was a 10 and most other nights it has been a 5. If we were even at an 8 most nights we’d be a lot better.

Yep, and the crazy thing is, you weren’t only missing Johnson still, but Lewis, and 2 others. Wow. The gators ought to be sold on the value of intensity! Bet UT is.

I think that Calipari doomed himself by platooning. That’s when y’all stopped getting the really elite, but wasn’t Boston a top 5?
Which really surprised me seeing how the members of that team went on to the NBA or pro play. If I’m a recruit, I’m not seeing the downside of the results.
I’d say it’s being used more negatively in the sense that Cal will sacrifice your game/mins to make himself look good. There was zero reason to platoon that team, except that he could.

I’d say opposing coaches explain to recruits that by platooning, EVERY TIME cal needed to make any substitution at all, KAT came out and Marcus Lee comes in. So instead of letting guys like Ullis and booker and lyles play in games with the number one pick some, they got to play with Lee the entire time instead. That’s not even mentioning ullis/booker arguably should have been starting over the twins by seasons end anyways.

I just think it was super arrogant, stupid, and cal was more concerned about look at me look at me, than making that team the best it could be and cutting down the nets.
Any/All those players are forever immortalized in the state of KY. Teams that weren’t platooned and achieved less are just former players now. That platooning did something unique for both the team and as individuals. Something that hasn’t been accomplished since.

Something about that formula was synergetic.
Excellent post. Cal has been excellent when he has the number 1 pick. He’s had what 4/5? Wall, kat, Rose, AD, Camby??? Is that more than K even though Ks been coaching 100 more years? Recruiting is part of the job description though, and it ain’t always about Xs and Os sometimes it’s about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. He hasn’t landed that jimmy or joe since his name wat Karl.

Granted, even as a rival, I fully expected Boston and Clarke to dominate this year. Cals had sooooo many good guard/wings since being at uk. Hell its badically 2 new ones a year. I never bought into the FF offseason hype that some had, but I thought they’d be a second weekend type team, especially when they landed Sarr.
But they didn’t accomplish anything. Won the Midwest regional and the SEC, congrats.

That was the best lineup ever constructed, well maybe if you go back to the wooden years some UCLA teams would match up. And you have a FF banner to show for it and a bunch of almosts.

And if Marcus Lee and De’aaron Fox/Jamal murray/herro/shai/bam/ or 100 different players that weren’t on the platoon team walk into a bar in Lexington, you gonna sit there and tell me Marcus Lee would garner some special place in your heart bc he was on the platoon team and you’d rather have a beer with him then the countless other guys I mention, please, you would be in a minute minority.
UK fans - at least this one - recognizes their place in history. The didn’t hoist the trophy, but no other team for quite a long time before them and since had the record they did. I find solace in knowing they were arguably one of the best teams ever assembled (not opinion, just reflected by their record.) The best team doesn’t always win it though.
When any player walks in somewhere, they have your attention . . . But they don’t all carry the same weight. I can’t - nor anyone, really - say what may or may not have happened with other teams. I just know that particular team has a different synergy.

It’s not a measurable phenomenon. A LOT of people love Marilyn Manson and I don’t get that but disagreeing with the adoration doesn’t sabotage it.
Accomplished what exactly? Won the sec and the Midwest regional? Undefeated into the tourney? Meh seen WSU and st joes do it. Congrats?

And please tell me if Marcus Lee or Dakari Johnson walked into a bar in lex with fox Or murray wall or cousins or Patterson or monk or herro or bam or Randle or knight or sga or 100 other better players that weren’t on the platoon team, that you would rather have a beer with Lee or dakari than the other guys who, even the current nba all stars, bc the platoon team will have a special place in your hearts. That’s not even meantioning AD and company that cut down the nets.

If there was any truth to this why in the world would the beloved Marcus Lee transfer to Cali his last year when he could have stuck around Lexington and been a Demi god for being part of the platoon.

The thing that will be remembered about 2015 UK outside of bbn, is that was the best roster ever constructed NOT to win the NCAA title. It might have been the best roster ever period. Maybe UCLA under wooden had a better squad during their run.

Granted it was title or bust, which is never fair, but damn with a team that stacked, it is what it is.
A couple of great candidates for further explanation are @kyjeff1 or @JimboBBN for this topic. As for me, it’s just an unqualifiable and unquantifiable respect for that team that elevates them over equally-resulting teams (read ousted from the tourney).

Last edited:
Wichita state and St Joes have had undefeated regular seasons pretty recently.

Gonzaga is very likely to do it this year.

Indiana did it AND brought back the trophy, capping an undefeated season.

Maybe they don’t reach 39 wins bc of covid, but I just can’t understand how anything could be more important than winning the championship. Surely you would have rather lost 2-3 games during the season and won the title at 38-3.

I understand those are mid majors but it’s not like SEC basketball was a juggernaut. They are improved now but look how many new coaches are in the sec in the 5 years since.

I stand by my stance that outside of bbn, 10 years down the road the only historically significant thing about 2015 UK was it was the most talented roster ever not to win it all.

And I know title or bust isn’t fair, for any team, but when u have 8-9 burger boys and are undisputedly the most talented team in the nation, title or bust is gonna be the expectation anywhere, especially at a program when it’s title or bust every offseason anyways.

But in hindsight I can’t tell you how to view or feel about your former teams.

I’m just glad Wisconsin happened bc if y’all had went 40-0, it would have been historically significant and hard to argue that they weren’t the best team ever constructed. And more importantly we would never hear the end of it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
But in hindsight I can’t tell you how to view or feel about your former teams.

I’m just glad Wisconsin happened bc if y’all had went 40-0, it would have been historically significant and hard to argue that they weren’t the best team ever constructed. And more importantly we would never hear the end of it 😂
We’d still be crowing! jumpingsmile

tenor.gif

Hell I would be too. Pretty hard to top an undefeated season. Esp with a MOV that had to be well into double digits if not 20+

A couple of great candidates for further explanation are @kyjeff1 or @JimboBBN for this topic. As for me, it’s just an unqualifiable and unquantifiable respect for that team that elevates them over equally-resulting teams (read ousted from the tourney).
Aye yaye yaye, what are you trying to rope me into here Random? I see people are trying to belittle our 2014/15 team that went 38-1. Unreal. They had the game won and Cal took the air out of the ball. They lost to statistically the best offense in 40 years. It sucks, but that 15 team was loaded and they beat the snot out of everyone they played… except Ole Miss (weird), Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT