ADVERTISEMENT

UK fans. Why was Aaron Harrison starting over Devin Booker?

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Pretty dumb move by cal starting a overseas/g league type over what may now be a top 10 player in the nba. Would have never lost to Wisconsin had booker been used properly.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
He is very close if he isn’t. Regardless He is a substantially better player than Aaron Harrison which is the point of the thread
Lebron
Giannis
Durant
Luka
Kawhi
Jokic
Embiid
Curry
Harden
Davis
Lillard
George
Kyrie

That’s 13 that are undoubtedly better. Then you have another group that are at minimum in the same group.

Tatum
Mitchell
Trae
Zion
Beal
Russ

Pretty dumb move by cal starting a overseas/g league type over what may now be a top 10 player in the nba. Would have never lost to Wisconsin had booker been used properly.
xnl.gif

Did you not see what Aaron did in the NCAA tourny his freshman year? Booker wasn’t the player he is now.
Booker still got drafted 13 and and Harrison went Undrafted. Obviously the nba saw something.

Harrison was a year older who had a insane run the last march. Also a better defender.

Ill never back the platoon, but in colloge that decision was much tougher than it is looking back. Plus how was cal to know what booker woukd become after 6 months coaching him with 9 other 5 stars or whatever it was.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Booker still got drafted 13 and and Harrison went Undrafted. Obviously the nba saw something.

And? I'd take Tyler Ulis over every PG of the Cal era and he had less pro potential than all of them. Saying he should have played over the guy who hit 3 straight killer shots in March the year before is asinine. He shot ~30% from 3 the second half of the year. The real argument is Cal should have played 3 guards with Ulis at PG instead of 3 bigs.

Not toally fair to book though, bc he was basically “the” guy on his platoon.

id bet he woukd have shot a helluva lot better if hed been on the floor with Kat more who basically demanded double teams.

totally agree anlut ullis, though. So smart on the court and fun to watch.

Booker was not good on defense. Wisconsin was scoring on him at will and though he showed glimpses, he was nowhere near the offensive player he has become. I don't disagree with Calipari not playing him as much but as one poster pointing out. Cal should have went to a 3-guard lineup with Ullis and the Harrison twins vs. Whiskey..

And? I'd take Tyler Ulis over every PG of the Cal era and he had less pro potential than all of them. Saying he should have played over the guy who hit 3 straight killer shots in March the year before is asinine. He shot ~30% from 3 the second half of the year. The real argument is Cal should have played 3 guards with Ulis at PG instead of 3 bigs.
The Harrison twins were both overrated and got it covered up by the March madness run in 2014. The regular season in 2014 was far more what they were as players than that tourney run was. Ulis and booker both should have been flat out starting over both the twins.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
Hindsight is always 20/20

If ullis and booker had been on the court and they had stillnlost everyone would be complaining that he should have went with the veteran harrisons who were clutch af the last tourney over two frosh that werent up for the big moment.

The Harrison twins were both overrated and got it covered up by the March madness run in 2014. The regular season was far more what they were as players than that tourney run was. Ulis and booker both should have been flat out starting over both the twins.

Won 9 tournament games in 2 years. Aaron Harrison hit 2 of the most clutch shots in recent tournament history. You're just grasping at straws to hate on Cal.

Hindsight is always 20/20

If ullis and booker had been on the court and they had stillnlost everyone would be complaining that he should have went with the veteran harrisons who were clutch af the last tourney over two frosh that werent up for the big moment.

Yup.

Won 9 tournament games in 2 years. Aaron Harrison hit 2 of the most clutch shots in recent tournament history. You're just grasping at straws to hate on Cal.

Yup.
Again what they were in the regular season was what they were as players. Karl Anthony towns and Julius randle are far more responsible for the tourney wins in 2014 and 2015 than the twins were also

One of the twins made a winning time clutch ass three in 3 straight tourney games that UK loses if he doesnt make that shot.

Randle was the better player but stupid to say the harrisons werent a hige part of that teams tourney success, esp the one that made all the clutch shots.

I would take him behind Wall and Fox. The speed those 2 had was insane at point.

Reactions: Villian07
The twins had played great all year and all tournament. The shot clock violations are just as much on Cal as they are any player. Do we honestly think a freshman Booker or Ulis plays better down the stretch? I guess it’s posisble, but probably no likely.

Wall was in a league of his own imo. i love me some fox but wall was insane, but it might be that thag team was sooooo stacked.

Always thought brandon knights game would translate better in the nba as well.

Reactions: HeartofUlis
One of the twins made a winning time clutch ass three in 3 straight tourney games that UK loses if he doesnt make that shot.

Randle was the better player but stupid to say the harrisons werent a hige part of that teams tourney success, esp the one that made all the clutch shots.
The twins are never in a position for the shots to be needed without randle or towns.

The twins are never in a position for the shots to be needed without randle or towns.
Towns wasnt involved. It was the year before. Pretty sure uk rolled everyone pretty hard sans maybe ND until wisky but i might be mixing it up.

And i can play that game too, if Randle (You know the guy who was the best player and responsible for them being there) woulda played better that tourney, then harrison wouldnt have had to bail him out, THREE straight games.

Towns wasnt involved. It was the year before. Pretty sure uk rolled everyone pretty hard sans maybe ND until wisky but i might be mixing it up.

And i can play that game too, if Randle (You know the guy who was the best player and responsible for them being there) woulda played better that tourney, then harrison wouldnt have had to bail him out, THREE straight games.
Why did the Harrison’s struggle in the regular season verses the SEC? Two-three clutch plays don’t mask that they were both pretty average players.

Yup.

Huge shots. One fvcked us. Neither even crack top 10 clutch tournament shots of the decade, though.

Reactions: Villian07
And when u have a Louisville fan defending cal/uk you might should rethink your position.
You know how many times I've seen either a Louisville or Kentucky fan say this? 😆

The truth is that you guys defend each other from other fans almost as much as you bicker between yourselves.

Cal was probably trying hard to get Harrison drafted. Along with the fact that Booker's D was bad.

Cal was probably trying hard to get Harrison drafted. Along with the fact that Booker's D was bad.

He thought they were the better choice to win. Aaron Harrison was literal flames in crunch time the year before. Not just the game winners. Devin Booker wasn't Devin Booker in the NBA. He was a good freshman guard that wasn't shooting well come tournament time and was poor defensively. Ulis should have been out there absolutely. The team was 38-0 before Wisconsin. Acting (not you) like Cal wasn't doing a good job is asinine. They lost to the best offensive team in the country.

He thought they were the better choice to win. Aaron Harrison was literal flames in crunch time the year before. Not just the game winners. Devin Booker wasn't Devin Booker in the NBA. He was a good freshman guard that wasn't shooting well come tournament time and was poor defensively. Ulis should have been out there absolutely. The team was 38-0 before Wisconsin. Acting (not you) like Cal wasn't doing a good job is asinine. They lost to the best offensive team in the country.
Yeah, I dont get questions like this. Are you saying Cal was trying to lose?

Booker was getting abused by Wisconsin's big wings - Hayes and Dekkar - in the Final Four game. Seriously, go back and watch it. It's almost like players evolve and grow as they gain strength, experience, and age.

Yeah, potential in the youngest player in the draft that year. The inexorable flow of time means that Phoenix was not getting 2015 Booker but rather the player he might/would become.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think the pandemic just chilled some people out..

3 years ago this thing is already on page 8 and somebody is threatening OP's family, and posting his home address. At the very least somebody is saying Auburn sucks d!ck.

Maybe the OP just came in too soft.

This is like the 18th thread he's made hating on Kentucky. At some point it becomes blah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT