Uk fans dont kick my a** for this question..

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by LockdownCard, Feb 25, 2015.

1. BassCat75

BassCat75 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That would have almost been funny except lockdown started this thread. You should have picked a better spot for it.

Does this mean UL fans have decided to claim Lockdown afterall? All I keep hearing is he's not really a UL fan.

2. Steelers2012

Steelers2012 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What made it "fit" precisely here was the fact the dmaso used those very same words (substituting ManRoar and UofL) to chastise UofL fans in the Chris Jones thread where ManRoar was trolling....well, everybody.

Do you claim ManRoar? [​IMG]

3. BassCat75

Expand Collapse

No, I understand that, it just doesn't fit when said person started the thread though, iow, you can't put out a bat signal for someone who themselves started the thread, it doesn't make any sense.

Why don't you find my posts in the thread you are talking about and answer that second question for yourself? I'll give you a hint though, unlike your post here, you won't find me endorsing him, there or anywhere else.

4. BassCat75

Expand Collapse

Also, just for the record, I don't really mind Lockdown and don't find the majority of his posts to be overly trollish. Certainly not to the extent of Manroar, so I'm not sure its a good comparison.

5. LockdownCard

LockdownCard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not This s*** again. Im a card fan, just not a big Pitino fan like the rest...

Lets put this to rest for once.

6. BassCat75

Expand Collapse

I never said you weren't. I was giving Steelers a hard time, not you.

7. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Everyone has a little troll in em..Its all good old fashioned ribbing for me. Too much respect for your program and the state of Kentucky itself to trash you guys every post.

Now my guy ManRoar makes it no secret he or she hates everything Louisville and its not even up for discussion lol

8. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

My bad bro.

9. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

You mean this one?

Originally posted by Basscat75:
    I don't know what the kid did or didn't do, and I've mostly stayed out of the conversation but the ADHD excuse reeks of a PR move. Do something stupid? Invent some "condition" to blame instead of taking responsibility. Sorry, I'm not buying that ADHD caused him to strike a woman (if indeed that's what happened).

Manroar, you're a clown and an embarrassment, please go away.

I feel bad for all the decent UL fans as well as any potential victims (depending on what really happened) but find it hard to feel bad for Jones at this point. Sounds like he needs a big dose of grow the F up.

10. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Steelers you are just awful dude.

11. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

A resounding no. Rupp was perhaps, and since then any of that has gone out the window. Cal's damn sure earned himself a bronze statue thus far though.

12. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

See you always try to associate me with manroar but that isn't the way it is. You have been a little punk azz bitch ever since I pointed out manroar plays you and you fall for it every damn time. I wasn't siding with manroar I was pointing out you claim to be a grown man and intelligent so why do you take the bait. I posted once in a thread so I got trolled big deal. You will keep a troll thread going whining and crying then begging LST or another mod to come in and save you. In that other thread, I wasn't saying manroar was going to get the last laugh because I believed his nonsense about seeing a snapchat video but because he kept you on the hook for so long. He doesn't care if you believe him just that you respond to show he is getting your azz bent out of shape. Congrats, you fall for it every time. Now run to the mods crying and copy and paste a rule. The difference in us is I gave Lockdown what he wanted and I am done, you would go back and forth with manroar then beg for help Then proceed to follow him in every tgread he starts. One thing he does have correct is you follow him around. Smh.

13. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

Look...you got your own mocking words used against you. It happens; get over it. Now, if you want
    to continue down a nasty personal path with me, I can go that way too. Or let it go. Your call. [​IMG]

This post was edited on 2/25 6:00 PM by Steelers2012

14. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

"UK was top 2-3 program before Cal got here. If not the top."

Ummmm, no. Just not true. Historical wise? Sure. Productivity wise? Not.even.close.

Cal has transformed UK into a monster it hasn't seen since the late 40's, early 50's; And or under Pitino.

Late under Tubby, and under BCG, UK was not a Top 2-3 program. Nowhere near it.

15. BassCat75

Expand Collapse

When someone talks about top programs, I usually assume they mean historically. If at any given time you wanted to take a snapshot of the top 3, they would be different almost every year. To me that's the difference between a top program and a top team. Program is over a long period of time, team is in a given year or at a given time.

As an IU fan you should understand that better than most. IU hasn't consistently been a top ten team for 20 years but I still think of them as a top ten program.

16. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd argue that there is more than just recent W-L records that encompass what it means to be a top program. Kentucky has the history, the fans, the name/brand....all of which are key components.

17. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bass:

Well if that's case, then why is Indiana's "blueblood status" constantly questioned by UK fans? If once a top program, then always a top program? Sure, I can buy that. And then I can also see the negative with it. But please remember this statement the next time you, or any other UK fan questions IU status as a "top program".

18. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

ESPN wasn't broadcasting every post game press conference live when Cal was at Memphis.

Right now, he's tied for second greatest coach we've had and the arena is named after the first.

19. BassCat75

Expand Collapse

I can't really speak for anyone else but I do not believe I have ever said IU wasn't a top program, at least not while sober [​IMG]. "Blueblood" is kind of an ephemeral thing where everyone's definition and cut-off is a little different anyway. A lot of it is a matter of opinion and opinions vary widely.

As for once a top program, always a top program, I don't think that's the case and I do think it is possible to lose your place, so to speak. I just think it takes a long time. Easy examples of that are from football, where you have powerhouse teams from years gone by like Yale and Army that aren't even competitive anymore. In basketball I think UCLA is closer to losing their spot than IU is. IU still has the things that SoundSlave mentioned, brand, fan support, etc and I think with the right coach they could easily be a top ten team again regularly. UCLA, otoh, seems to be fading in those areas.

20. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It never was personal with me princess. You have this whatever you want to call it for manroar. You seem to want other posters to call him out. I called him out a longtime ago so I don't feel the need to do it every time he trolls someone. I think every poster is aware of what he is. I guessI have misjudged you because I thought to your to mature for his game. However, I get it sometimes certain posters can push your buttons. I am just not going to feel it necessary to point out when manroar is making stuff up that doesn't mean I believe it.

21. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

[​IMG] My bad, I don't know how I could have misinterpreted being called a punk azz bitch and Princess for getting personal.

22. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Alot of people on here have it confused. I would never question uk's history and where they stand as a top program. I only questioned the so-so results during the tubby and bcg era's prior to cal coaching.

23. Ameoba Offense

Ameoba Offense Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Really? What channel was it on tonight? I'm channel surfing all of the ESPN channels after the IU debacle on BTN and I haven't seen any press conferences - just game action.

If you say so.... Where Calipari ranks in school history has nothing to do with what I said, though. I just think he's bigger than the program right now. He made it a point to let everyone know that after his first year with his "greatest moment in Kentucky history" comment before the '10 draft.

24. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sportscenter, live as Cal has his conference. I didn't watch tonight. They're also sending a reporter to every game, even if it's on CBS, which just doesn't happen.

Your second comment just sounds like a hollow jab at the program from an IU fan.

If you were trying to make a point in earnest, you wouldn't submit one of his recruiting spiels as serious evidence of him being "bigger than the program". What he thinks doesn't really affect the truth of the matter - if the question were "does Cal think he's bigger than the program", that would be a relevant point to add to the conversation. But as it is, it's just an opinion like yours or mine.

And regardless of what you think Cal really believes, he's intimated a million times that the program is way bigger than he is, so if you start using quotes like that, you're just picking and choosing when to take him seriously out of convenience.

UK basketball was the top historical program before him, it is during him, and it will continue to be after him. He has a hell of a lot of catching up to do to be the greatest coach in our history, as I mentioned. 5 coaches here have won titles, 2 more than any other school. And while he is a master promoter, UK under Pitino and Rupp were also firmly in the "needle moving" category.

25. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that comment meant what you are portraying it to mean. Calipari's big selling point is that Kentucky is a program for the players. That night Kentucky helped turn five guys into millionaires and promptly changed their lives.

You should think of it as a televised sales pitch. (which is certainly what it was)

Kentucky has been the dominant recruiting force for half a decade since that comment.

This post was edited on 2/25 10:31 PM by manu1433

26. Ameoba Offense

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No live presser tonight I don't think - just an NBA game on ESPN and college games on every other channel. But I'll take your word for it that they're making an effort to provide more UK/Cal coverage due to the undefeated season. It's a major story, so it is warranted for that. But it has nothing to do with "UK basketball is the top historical program".

Not sure why this would be a sensitive topic, though. Knight was bigger than the IU program during his heyday even though IU had a proud history prior to him. K is bigger than Duke too. It's just the nature of CBB and way the media works - and has worked - since ESPN began determining the story lines.

27. Ameoba Offense

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I understand that it was a recruiting pitch. It also came off as disrespectful to a proud fanbase that values it's history. He could have worded it differently and still emphasized his point with the same effect. JMO

28. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not sensitive at all. My responses don't have any emotion to them at all. I think if you wanted to say that when Rupp retired he was bigger in the program, that would've been fair, because up to that point, he *was* the program. It's not analogous to K or even Knight. K is 85% of Duke's history. Knight is like 70% of IU's history. It's much more like saying that Self is bigger than Kansas or Roy is bigger than UNC. It's just flatly untrue. Cal's responsible for 1 of 8 titles. When he came here, refusing a blank check from Memphis, he went from being one of the 5-6 most talked about coaches to being the face of all college basketball.

Everything I said in my last paragraph still holds true.

Wichita State were undefeated going into the tournament, and they were a big story all year, but they didn't have the press conference thing going on nor the ESPN reporter at every game. And like I said, Cal got media attention before, but not on this scale.

I've never once denied that Cal has amplified the program big time. Of course he has, as he would for any program.

But again, UK was one of the two biggest programs under Rick (along with Duke) and Rupp (along with UCLA), and both men were icons of the game during that time. It will be so again when we have our 6th championship coach, presuming he has a big personality like those other 3 guys. I wouldn't say that UK moved the needle quite as much under Tubby and Hall - although I do remember when the job came open, that was the highest placed story on ESPN's website over UF winning the championship.

You're welcome to your opinion, though. Doesn't hurt my feelings. Just don't be surprised when in 50 years, Cal is remembered as one in a long line of legendary UK coaches and Kentucky is still the top program in the land.

29. Ameoba Offense

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If UK is still on top of the CBB world in 50 years and I'm alive to see it, I'll be happy to suck it up and tolerate it. [​IMG]

30. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If you're a head in a jar like in Futurama, I'll be sure to come over and point you right at the hologram display to watch a smell-enabled, three dimensional rendering of the 2065 Wildcats laying waste to all who oppose them. And whoever he is, their coach, who will be making 35 million a year at that point (inflation, ya know?) - will undoubtedly be a cheater and a racist and a no good scoundrel. And his face will be on EVERYTHING in February, March, and the beginning of April.

Maybe literally everything, when they find a way to put images of crazy resolution on the freeway, on the sides of mountains, on the interior walls of buildings, etc.

31. Bigblueforever

Bigblueforever Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

32. Ameoba Offense

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe dead would be better.

33. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

"Trolling" aside (hate that word) Steelers you just got sliced up and down like the karate kid did when he did that awesome move at the end of the movie. Dmaso just put the flying V mighty Ducks style on your 53 year old stuck in a 14 year olds mind, azz. Dmaso- watch out ... He will probably ask to be your facebook friend now and when you decline him and his nip rings will follow you around from board to board. [​IMG]

I i like most of the posters here. Even the UL posters, UL1986,Sound, etc but you are a different kind of special. And Steelers. I I LOVE it. Really. Thank you for being you.

Back to the question at hand. No I don't think Cal is "bigger" than UK because even though we may have a down few years, UK will always be able to land a top coach, or find a top coach and if the coach sucks we will boot him (see BCG) and not let him hang around (see crean- no flame just the truth )

UK basketball fans are fanatical. Sometimes to a fault so I feel pretty good that UK is always going to be good. There may be say... 3 years out of 10 where they suck back every now and then but it won't last long.

now I will say this - Cal has MADE UK even bigger I think. I mean the press and talk about UK the last 5 years is unheard of. Cats are ALWAY in the media. And especially this year. USA today, media, bloggers, ESPN heck even Pop culture is picking up on UK's historic season. It's been insane and a lot of fun. I am enjoying every minute of it cause I know what cal has done at his time here at UK will never be replicated.

34. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Yeah the later tubby years and BCG years were miserable. Sucked. As much as I give them a hard time, I actually kind of pity (some) IU fans. Some of them suck, but it honestly is miserable to been so far removed from a FF with it not looking better in the future. I genuinely think Crean is awful for IU and they COULD (not will) lose their "blue blood status" if they aren't careful. Maybe not lose it, but it could be in serious jeopardy.

Say at for example, Crean pulls a couple more wins from his AZZ this year and makes the tourney and lucks into the 2nd round then looses. They don't Fire him. Say they are a little better next year. Not Great, not even very good... Just... Decent/good- 22-8 type team and they... Make a sweet16. They don't fire him. Blackon would be gone after that year, and their recruiting is starting to suffer now, so is it gonna be better in 16/17 17/18?? Three more years of being awful/ mediocre would push IU to almost THIRTY years since their last title. Not good.

Crean needs to be fired at the end of THIS year or IU could be in grave danger of loosing what decent "luster" they have left. I really mean that.

35. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

36. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

He jelly

37. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

THE NIP RING REFERENCES HAS GOT TO STOP!!!
    [​IMG]

38. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Question: Does the nipple ring actually exist?

39. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Yes